News Internationales...

poorpete

News Internationales...

Post by poorpete »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/05/worl ... hange.html

Turkey is Türkiye now.

Partly to be more like how they pronounce it (a good thing, we should do this especially when extremely easy, like Rome -> Roma, etc, easy peasy, let's call it right) partly to disassociate it with the tasty bird.

Türkiye, "toor kay, yeh" or if your excited TURKEY YAY!
Last edited by poorpete on Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phoebe

Re: In the News...

Post by Phoebe »

Yeah, might not be easy to do in all cases but why not, when it's such an easy small change? I don't watch any news on TV and this is one situation where I'm not sorry to be missing it, having read so many stories about the earthquake and recovery. The whole thing is so horrible. It seems like the death toll just went up exponentially each day. I don't know how they recover on a basic physical level of dealing with all the wreckage. Seeing the numbers was hard to understand and then they published photos of the mass burials they had to do.
Phoebe

Re: In the News...

Post by Phoebe »

Over 46,000 dead now they say.
poorpete

Re: News Internationales...

Post by poorpete »

Sudan's possible Civil War is awful and wild and awful.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/sudan-k ... itary.html

Two unsympathetic generals used everyone and themselves and are now at war with each other.

They both rose in ranks being military yes-men to a terrible dictator.

When a populist protests started, they sided with the protesters to help overthrow the dictator.

A few years later they staged military coup to overthrow civilian leadership they didn't like. But they both claimed they still were all for the move to civilian rule and democracy.

Now, months before that was to happen they went to war with each other, because... well obviously they know the other is the only thing keeping them from being the new dictator.

It's all like an Alien vs. Predator whoever wins we lose kind of way. But with death and destruction from a country that's been through enough.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

100 migrants were rescued from a capsized boat by a super-yacht.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/21/worl ... reece.html

That they came to the rescue, good, human, humane. But 650+ died. Horrible. Shows when "the civilized" are open to aiding people and when not. Migrants dying at sea we're not okay with. What they were leaving and where they were going, please don't bother us. So many sad and/or enraging facts in here, like the yacht listed as accommodating 24 guests. Meanwhile multiple countries are scrambling to rescue 5 rich men in a sub (which I admit I am also interested in).
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am basically so bursting with agreement at this I cannot even speak on it further. Yes.