Vaccination

Mike

Vaccination

Post by Mike »

I got shot #1 of the Moderna vaccine on Thursday. So after 2 days, I can report that the injection site is still a little sore, which is very unusual for me. But it hurts less than yesterday, so it's healing.

But also, my brain is a bit fuzzy today. Like my ears feel plugged up and I'm just not firing on all cylinders. I forgot an appointment yesterday. I messaged the old scoutmaster to ask him where the lodge keys were. He said, "you took them." I checked my stuff, and sure as hell, there they were. Just now, I almost took my pills again, even though I took them an hour ago. Just scatterbrained... like way more than usual for me. And sure I haven't been sleeping enough lately, but I got almost 9 hours last night, and I'm still not on top of my game.

Possibly, I'm getting sick or it's allergies or somesuch, but it's just so different that it's hard to NOT associate it with the shot.

Either way, I expect to be feeling better over the next couple days, but I thought I'd share.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Re: Vaccination

Post by Kyle »

My son, who works at a hospital, got the Moderna vaccine on Wednesday. His arm hurt for two days, but he had no other side effects. But two days of soreness is unusual, if inconsequential.

In other news, new studies say that my antibodies from recovering from COVID should last eight months, if not years.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

This is where I would post something like, "Hey Mike, I never got that package of d20s you sent," or something like that. But that's silly stuff.

Glad you got the vaccine! Hope that your reactions to whatever your body is fighting off subside quickly!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thank you! And hopefully I can keep dodging Covid until my second shot in February.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

Good job, hope you're feeling better soon.
Indications are that the second one will be worse. Like, take the next day off worse.
It is however, an indication that your body is taking the high alert seriously.
Mike

Post by Mike »

bralbovsky wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:35 pm Good job, hope you're feeling better soon.
Indications are that the second one will be worse. Like, take the next day off worse.
It is however, an indication that your body is taking the high alert seriously.
Educational!

Thank you.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Much better today! Arm pain is gone. Head feels clear. No more pressure on the ears.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Waiting on answers to find out if both my "essential worker" status (funny, how now I'm essential, but wasn't during initial shutdown) and pre-existing conditions will ACTUALLY allow me to get the vaccine in phase 1b like I am reported to.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Do you need all of us to vouch for you? Because we'll send letters.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Parents cannot get vaccine. Thousands of people their age have already received vaccines in their state, so they should be able to get it, but they cannot. No idea why.
Mando

Post by Mando »

I don't see anyone much. I will wait until the fragile health and elderly all get one first. Not brave, just not really at risk
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah, my own parents are in their 70's, but they have the resources to essentially never leave their home*. Their risk is low enough that they can afford to patiently wait for their own turn at a vaccine. But not all 70-year-olds live in very comfortable retirement like that.

*Everything delivered, and they really go nowhere except my mom goes to her doctor for regular shots, and occasionally they have to use the no-contact, curbside pickup vet service for their dogs. Otherwise, nothing.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mike wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:41 pm Yeah, my own parents are in their 70's, but they have the resources to essentially never leave their home*. Their risk is low enough that they can afford to patiently wait for their own turn at a vaccine. But not all 70-year-olds live in very comfortable retirement like that.

*Everything delivered, and they really go nowhere except my mom goes to her doctor for regular shots, and occasionally they have to use the no-contact, curbside pickup vet service for their dogs. Otherwise, nothing.
They are eligible to get the vaccine and are calling every day. They can’t get one.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mom was much more Zen in her presentation of the situation to me. I'm essentially quoting her above.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My parents are almost in the situation where they could stay home completely safe, but unfortunately my mom's health is such that they are sometimes having to risk exposure, or at the very least exposure to me to help them. I try to keep myself locked down as much as possible, but if my husband wants a job he occasionally has to do certain things to put him at risk as well. It's not a good situation. I was completely fine with waiting things out until it was their turn to be vaccinated, but a lot of b******* things are happening here with the distribution of vaccines. A certain percentage of them were commandeered by political leaders, and they aren't following the distribution plan in the sequence they're supposed to, as far as I can tell, or else they're letting people cut in line. Sometimes we hear that they need to do that in order to exhaust supplies of a vaccine so the doses can still be useful, but I don't think that's the issue here. Maybe I'm wrong but I will find out either way. There has been an increasing conflict between medical leaders and political leaders here. It is extremely annoying to see them playing politics with people's lives, also knowing that there will be zero accountability whatsoever for those actions. This is yet another reason why I am so accustomed to so-called conservatives running roughshod over the world and getting away with it every single time. There is literally no one left to hold them accountable, nobody who has enough power to put a stop to what they're doing. But I won't end without a note of hope here: there are still a lot of people fighting for this. At some point the problems reach local enough that you can actually help fund candidates who win elections, or have good people in positions of authority where they have some check on the bad behavior of others. So a little bit of this is happening, and a little bit of it can grow.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Finally have reached a place where we can sign up for a vaccine, parents are already in line for a vaccine, and now we just wait to be called. It is a very frustrating process, poorly organized here. You have to know where to call, where to sign up, and confused people start giving out misinformation. Totally avoidable if we had competent people taking it seriously, but we won't let those people run it of course. 🙄

I am worried that I have the covid right now because I was forced to go to a doctor's office where there had been covid patients prior. no reason for having to go in person at all - I am just livid that they made us go in there. Unfortunately I can't get tested till tomorrow at the earliest, if then. This whole thing is just ... It has radically changed my estimation of other human beings. I thought there was some baseline functionality and concern for others we could take for granted at least most of the time.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I'm on the waiting list! But it probably won't be until at least March before I'm actually eligible. I'm technically an employee of one of the school districts I work with, which means I can now a) think about getting the vaccine and b) actually go back into school and feel like I can teach safely! Fingers. Crossed.