4th of July

Phoebe

4th of July

Post by Phoebe »

How do you normally celebrate the 4th and how are you doing it this year? I am interested in ideas because for the first time in many, many long years, we will not be taking our kids out of town for days of frenzied and poorly regulated pyromania. I am sure the pyromania will visit us in some other manner but at least most of the pointless nastiness will be removed from the equation. I did not realize how much I dreaded this - not just the questions like, "will someone lose an eye this time instead of just burning the eyelid?", but having to put up with so much palpable hostility and dislike from other people/pyromaniacs. It's a great relief to have a break from it, so now I'm excited to hear what other options exist and might be fun! I might add that I like fireworks and will be putting off lots of fireworks! There is simply no comparison between my version and the pyromania version.
Eliahad

Re: 4th of July

Post by Eliahad »

I think it's going to be a day like any other day for us. Not feeling supremely patriotic at the moment. Might cancel my teaching, though! That will be nice.
Mando

Post by Mando »

My wife and I will take the kids to a campsite on the river and watch the fireworks that the nearby residents set off a few miles away.

This year we are sending up paper lanterns we bought on Amazon.

The whole gang loves them.

I got them off amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Lanterns-Multico ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Mike

Post by Mike »

Saturday we will be at the celebration at the lake. We get there mid-afternoon and take our usual spot. We people watch and socialize all day. Then at sundown, were sitting under one of the largest professional fireworks displays in Nebraska.

Then the rest of the weekend, I'll be working hard to avoid going to my sister-in-law's lake cabin where there will be excesses of alcohol and dogs and minors with fire and explosives.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Sounds good! I think we have settled on working at a volunteer firework stand they put up for fundraising, and then we will barbecue and then go to a local but smaller show down the road.