Fake Nails

Phoebe

Fake Nails

Post by Phoebe »

I am inflicting this topic on y'all because it's not the kind of thing I can discuss elsewhere given the large number of people who are deeply invested in this activity. I don't want to seem disrespectful or start an argument with them about it. However, I do not understand fake nails, particularly the recent trend of enormous fake nails, because it seems like a way of debilitating yourself much like trotting around on 5-in platform soles would. It seems like every younger woman I encounter in the world of businesses and services is wearing a nail at least an inch long and I have no idea how they type or write or do anything. But suppose that you need to take action, you know? You need to place an emergency phone call or do something specific. How do you get this done with the nails? They seem very anti woman to me or whoever is wearing them. Very anti-human. Because surely if the nail is strong enough to be useful as a kind of weapon or key or whatever type of tool, it's also strong enough to rip the healthy part of your finger underneath it. But if the nail isn't strong then it's useless, or if it's partly strong it can still damage your real finger! It's troubling. I can't say that I spend a lot of time in my day troubled over it but I do feel sad for the ladies who are experiencing this whenever I encounter it, I'm sitting here waiting for my kid who is taking her sweet time walking a quarter mile or something to get over here. If she had fake nails it would probably be taking even longer.
bralbovsky

Re: Fake Nails

Post by bralbovsky »

I feel there are many things that even feminists have been tricked into adopting that disable women and girls.

Virginia Slims was the leader in this, from my recollection.
It seems as if these influences come from many cultures these days, another product of globalization, I guess. The nails, assorted clothing (you mention heels, platforms)
This is not to say that other demographics haven't been duped into adopting fashions or habits that are detrimental, but ya, I see it.
I think it's prevalent enough to be purposeful.
Phoebe

Re: Fake Nails

Post by Phoebe »

I like the idea of entire fake fingertips - not sure how they affix these to your finger - but basically it takes that huge spiky fake nail and attaches it to an entire acrylic or metal fingertip. So you could just not wear it when you need to work your cash register job or type on your computer, but you could have your giant metal dagger nails on display at the HR Meeting when they want to force you to do absurd things without any reason or evidence. I envision myself tapping them slowly on the glass tabletop.