Touhou

Phoebe

Touhou

Post by Phoebe »

If you know what this word means, please help me by translating a LOT of apparently randomly-strung-together English words and Japanese words that are presented on the internets in association with this word Touhou (pronounced Toe Hoe) into the following simpler format:

How does a human purchase and use this, in a manner parallel to, say, purchasing and using the latest Super Mario game?

I need not understand anything about how it was created or what it means or what the story is or how it works... I definitely do not want to know anything about its fan community or the creations of its fan community. I just want to know how you would buy this in whatever manner is closest to purchasing a loaf of bread and handing it to another person.
Kyle

Re: Touhou

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Yes! That thing! If I wanted to buy that the way I want to buy a sack of potatoes, how would I do that exactly?
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

So these are PC only games, and it looks like most of them are available on Steam.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Thank you, I will investigate this Steam and see whether we can get it!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Steam is a free program that people use to download and play games on their PC. Talk to your husband. I'm sure he's familiar with it.

For what it's worth- you can buy Steam giftcards at almost all big box retailers now.
Stan

Post by Stan »

What Kyle said. PC games are now sold almost entirely online and have been for years. They are occasionally sold directly or through places like itch.io but Steam is the largest seller of games and manages updates, mods, etc. of the games.

I've seen games sold on Amazon that are really just Steam activation codes. Unless there is a big price difference, just get it on Steam. Or, if you are buying it for someone else, just give them a gift card so they can buy it in a way that most easily associates it with their Steam account.

For some reason, the word touhou reminds me of "Kill! Turu, Kill!"
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Thank you, I have now discovered that I could spend most of a typical take-home paycheck fully on the list of games that fall under this heading, and apparently some of them are not appropriate for the young but you will not determine this because there is no designation and everything is in Japanese.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

One of the cats was constipated and it is necessary to deconstipate your old cat, but I don't want to do it. I really don't. If I'm going to take on some extra household duties I don't want that to be the one.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It turns out that Santa is a L33T HaXXoR and thanks you for your information. Many haxxorings were required to achieve the thing with English patches, but Santa did all.