Weird Things You Do

Kyle

Weird Things You Do

Post by Kyle »

Here's a weird thing I do:

When I have to stop suddenly in traffic, I look in my rearview and if the car behind me is rapidly approaching, I say quietly and anxiously, "Look at me. Look at me. Look at me." And then, every time I follow it up with a quieter, "I'm Mister Meseeks."
poorpete

Re: Weird Things You Do

Post by poorpete »

That IS weird

If I have to walk by an open window without clothes I will give it the finger, just in case anyone is looking in.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

poorpete wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:52 pmIf I have to walk by an open window without clothes I will give it the finger, just in case anyone is looking in.
I do something similar- if I'm using a public restroom and there's anything on the ceiling that looks less than pristine- like the AC vent, air vent or smoke alarm- then I flip it the bird in case I'm being filmed.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I also finish song lyrics that are partially spoken on tv or in an audiobook. A common one in audiobooks is the narrator will say, "His stomach turned" and then I say, "And I exhale! I would swallow my pride. I would choke on the rinds but the lack thereof will leave me empty inside." I don't normally say the whole thing, but at least to "exhale."

I just finished reading a history book about Juneteenth, and whenever the narrator ended a sentence with "black people," I start channeling DJ Kool from Let Me Clear My Throat and finish it with "White people!" and sometimes I do the cough and say "Goddamn!"
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I came to this thread thinking it would be pointless to contribute because I have way too much weirdness to attempt writing it down, but then I read these entries and was humbled. Y'all are truly weird. I have nothing like this.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:43 pm I came to this thread thinking it would be pointless to contribute because I have way too much weirdness to attempt writing it down, but then I read these entries and was humbled. Y'all are truly weird. I have nothing like this.
It's all OCD and pattern recognition for me..
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That explains it - all of my OCD ways are completely normal and well-adjusted, by contrast. It's the rest of you who are weird. For example, people who don't pre-sort their groceries on the conveyor so they can be appropriately bagged (by a competent rather than miscreant bagger) and taken to the vehicle parked down by the cart return. Normal things that people do, and if they don't, that's so weird. Not Kyle, ok, probably not Kyle but you others.

Do you ever have That Little Conversation where someone is like, haha talking to urself so weird! And you just smile and nod, yes, I talk to myself, of course I do. And they say, sometimes with a twinkle in their eye, "but do u answer urself ahahahaahahahaaa guffaws!" and you look them dead in the eye with a straight face and, after a pause, reply "Of course I do. Don't you? Who else is supposed to answer?" or something like this. People who don't talk to themselves, or worse yet, people rude enough to talk to themselves but then ignore themselves and not reply, are also SO weird.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:58 pm That explains it - all of my OCD ways are completely normal and well-adjusted, by contrast. It's the rest of you who are weird. For example, people who don't pre-sort their groceries on the conveyor so they can be appropriately bagged (by a competent rather than miscreant bagger) and taken to the vehicle parked down by the cart return. Normal things that people do, and if they don't, that's so weird. Not Kyle, ok, probably not Kyle but you others.
Yeah- that's not really OCD. That's just being orderly.
Do you ever have That Little Conversation where someone is like, haha talking to urself so weird! And you just smile and nod, yes, I talk to myself, of course I do. And they say, sometimes with a twinkle in their eye, "but do u answer urself ahahahaahahahaaa guffaws!" and you look them dead in the eye with a straight face and, after a pause, reply "Of course I do. Don't you? Who else is supposed to answer?" or something like this. People who don't talk to themselves, or worse yet, people rude enough to talk to themselves but then ignore themselves and not reply, are also SO weird.
Out loud? I rarely talk to myself out loud because I'm normally never alone (having a big family and all). But when I am alone I talk to myself occasionally. I also talk to pets when I'm alone too. A lot.

If you mean an internal narrative- well I do that all the time. Doesn't everyone? Isn't that called "thinking"?
Stan

Post by Stan »

Phoebe wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:58 pm Do you ever have That Little Conversation where someone is like, haha talking to urself so weird! And you just smile and nod, yes, I talk to myself, of course I do. And they say, sometimes with a twinkle in their eye, "but do u answer urself ahahahaahahahaaa guffaws!" and you look them dead in the eye with a straight face and, after a pause, reply "Of course I do. Don't you? Who else is supposed to answer?" or something like this. People who don't talk to themselves, or worse yet, people rude enough to talk to themselves but then ignore themselves and not reply, are also SO weird.
If someone comments on me talking to myself, I like to respond with, "I was having an intelligent conversation."
Last edited by Stan on Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:58 pm For example, people who don't pre-sort their groceries on the conveyor so they can be appropriately bagged (by a competent rather than miscreant bagger) and taken to the vehicle parked down by the cart return. Normal things that people do, and if they don't, that's so weird. Not Kyle, ok, probably not Kyle but you others.
I have near zero OCD, and I do this religiously. Hell, I prefer self-checkout, because I prefer to have full control over the bagging. It saves me time and hassle all the way around. I can separate out what goes to work or school, freezer, fridge, bathroom, etc. Plus, with the bags I bring in, I know exactly how much a bag can hold (which is a lot) and still be manageable.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Anytime anyone uses the word 'gently', my wife and I both repeat, "Gently!" in a high nervous voice, in imitation of Westley right after his climactic confrontation with Prince Humperdinck.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Lol, that's worth doing! So many good ones like that. Snow White and the seven dwarfs, when she tells them to wash up before dinner and then asks them how long it's been since they washed, and one says "Recently"? Reee-cent-ly... You have to say it that way.
Someone mentions TP or Cappuccino? Please say who it's really for!
For lyrics, when you walk into the garage or the basement and it is only Darkness! The darkness is imprisoning you... All that you see... Absolute horror.

My husband is cackling because he can hear me whispering these words into the phone and he knows what I mean.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Stan wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:15 pm If someone comments on me talking to myself, I like to respond with, "I was having an intelligent conversation."
Exactly. And then they act like you're crazy if you do this. Sally, if I was crazy I would be talking to the voices in my head and letting them answer back. The fact that I'm talking back and forth with myself is proof that I'm not crazy. Nobody else is involved in this thing.