Nextdoor

Phoebe

Nextdoor

Post by Phoebe »

Resolved:
The next door neighbor website / social media service is the new unhinged Wild West of the internet.

It also stands as a profound counterexample refuting the notion that people are only bad on the internet when they have anonymity.
Kyle

Re: Nextdoor

Post by Kyle »

I briefly joined Nextdoor, then quickly quit when I realized it was just a shitshow of the worst display of HOA politics and racism.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Our town has a facebook group that acts as our little nextdoor app and boy can there be lots of sniping.

Also listen to this podcast, which does improv around some messages they find on Nextdoor...
https://www.earwolf.com/show/the-neighborhood-listen/
Stan

Post by Stan »

My wife is on it - I don't think it's quite as crazy here. I'm sure it varies tremendously by location based on volunteer mods and the user base.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The problem is that you really want some of the information it provides, but it's an incredibly s***** website from a technical perspective (I don't know why, I just know it's not well made and it doesn't work properly), and it brings out the absolute worst of the worst of the worst in people. But in a way that allows you to find them at home! That's the kicker. Like a person who lives two blocks down the street from you will say and do the shittiest things and you're like, I see you out on your walk every day!