Good Random Things

Kyle

Good Random Things

Post by Kyle »

Got to my hotel and saw that they have Cinemax and that Event Horizon started 15 minutes ago.

This is a good day.
Kyle

Re: Good Random Things

Post by Kyle »

Sam Neil and Laurence Fishburn are so much better than this genre movie, and I think that’s what makes it so good.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

You may like my friend's song about the film...

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

This is one of the best HP Lovecraft inspired movies of all time.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

poorpete wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:36 pm You may like my friend's song about the film...

That is an epic fucking song.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Holy shit! And what’s on after Event Horizon? The Italian Job! Have I died and gone to genre movie heaven?!?

Best! Day! Ever!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I don’t know what I love more: heist movies or Cthulhu movies. It doesn’t matter. This is the perfect night, and it could only be made better if I could share it with y’all. I’m in nirvana.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

From now on I want to be known as Handsome Kyle. That’s my new name. Honor it.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Kyle wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:09 pm I don’t know what I love more: heist movies
My husband is obsessed with heist movies or more specifically jewel thief/cat burglar movies. Instead of Cthulhu his other genre is War.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:36 pm You may like my friend's song about the film...

Why isn't this on the radio? Is that the guitarist from The Darkness playing keyboards? The whole thing has a very The Darkness vibe - yet more mellow and more triumphant - kind of a The Darkness meets Steve Miller Band vibe, with a little touch of Toto and Queen for good measure. It really is epic.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Kyle wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:48 pm From now on I want to be known as Handsome Kyle. That’s my new name. Honor it.
Is it an epithet like Rosy-Fingered Dawn, or more of a title like Baroness Jones? I just want to know the proper tone in which I'm uttering it.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Phoebe wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:15 pm Is that the guitarist from The Darkness playing keyboards?
It my friend! Though will say haven't really talked with him in a decade or so, so fond acquaintance. Still has given me lots of joy over the years, like say this one 2000

Or this one from last year

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:17 pm
Kyle wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:48 pm From now on I want to be known as Handsome Kyle. That’s my new name. Honor it.
Is it an epithet like Rosy-Fingered Dawn, or more of a title like Baroness Jones? I just want to know the proper tone in which I'm uttering it.
It’s an epithet. Jason Statham’s character in Italian Job is Handsome Rob. Such bravado for a middle aged bald guy. But he really pulls it off.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Handsome Kyle, nice to make your acquaintance. This is much better than Friend Kyle.

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mando wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 am
Handsome Kyle, nice to make your acquaintance. This is much better than Friend Kyle.
For sure. My past nicknames: wolf head; bread man; Y2K; K-Jo; Watermullins

I’m due for a good nickname. From now on it’s Handsome Kyle.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Kyle O'Ren
KK Jones
Keezy
Keezy Jeezy
K Jeezy
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Kyle O’Ren! So good!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mando wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:05 am Kyle O'Ren
Kyle wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:09 pm Kyle O’Ren! So good!
I get it now! That's awesome.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My kids are always messing with the settings on my phone, and they have made it so that anytime I call home from my cell phone, the home is represented by Barack Obama photoshopped holding a large bald eagle.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Husband killed the bad insect; it's one of the top ten reasons to marry and I stand by that. You can negotiate and compromise on a lot of things if you have a car guy, a computer guy, and bug killing guy. All those three are in the top 10.
Mando

Post by Mando »

My wife and I are getting into beekeeping. So much to learn. So many opinions.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mando wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:38 am My wife and I are getting into beekeeping. So much to learn. So many opinions.
Jealous- we wanted to do that, but the neighborhood won't let us.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

You guys my heart is broken because my son is too precious for words, and he has about three really good friends at school and they put him into a classroom with exactly none of them. That's not the good random thing! Rather, he was forced to stop taking swimming lessons 2 years ago, first because season ended and then, the pandemic situation: we figured he would start up again as soon as the weather got nicer in 2020, and boom, there was no swimming at all until this summer! Even now, we've done it tentatively because he's not vaccinated and we have to find non-crowded situations.
Well, despite having to get back into it from this long absence, he has taught himself to tread water for 30 seconds and swim across the deep end without help, which is a necessary goal if you want to go down certain water slides. He also went down these terrifying water slides by himself despite being afraid - he is trepidatious about things like me but then has the guts to do them! It's lovely to see, and I keep thinking he's going to get too old to be such a sweet kid to his old mom but in fact he remains just as adorable as he was at age 4 or 5. I know they say you're not supposed to be friends with your kids as opposed to the authoritative parent, but genuinely we are best buddies and I simply do not have problems with him. I worry that this is some kind of trade-off for problems we will have later but let's hope he stays gold this way forever. He talks about nothing but anime soundtracks and whether so and so has a certain set of powers or what the powers would do and I have no concept what he's talking about but I hold up my end as if I do.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:27 pm You guys my heart is broken because my son is too precious for words, and he has about three really good friends at school and they put him into a classroom with exactly none of them. That's not the good random thing! Rather, he was forced to stop taking swimming lessons 2 years ago, first because season ended and then, the pandemic situation: we figured he would start up again as soon as the weather got nicer in 2020, and boom, there was no swimming at all until this summer! Even now, we've done it tentatively because he's not vaccinated and we have to find non-crowded situations.
Well, despite having to get back into it from this long absence, he has taught himself to tread water for 30 seconds and swim across the deep end without help, which is a necessary goal if you want to go down certain water slides. He also went down these terrifying water slides by himself despite being afraid - he is trepidatious about things like me but then has the guts to do them! It's lovely to see, and I keep thinking he's going to get too old to be such a sweet kid to his old mom but in fact he remains just as adorable as he was at age 4 or 5. I know they say you're not supposed to be friends with your kids as opposed to the authoritative parent, but genuinely we are best buddies and I simply do not have problems with him. I worry that this is some kind of trade-off for problems we will have later but let's hope he stays gold this way forever. He talks about nothing but anime soundtracks and whether so and so has a certain set of powers or what the powers would do and I have no concept what he's talking about but I hold up my end as if I do.
Friends For Life!! Sounds so awesome. I am happy for you .
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Today's installment of this daily conversation was particularly hilarious. Someone has been slacking on his homework, so I asked if we should plan for a specific time to do this homework. Perhaps after snack or at a certain hour before dinner? The advantage of doing this obviously would be that afterward you could play a video game and not have to worry about homework.
"Why do you assume I can't multitask?" he says to me.
Multitask with homework?!
"Yes all I have to do is keep pressing the mouse with my left hand in (insert incomprehensible garbled name of video game here), and I can write out the homework with my right hand."

Okay, a teaching moment presents itself, no? Isn't the goal of homework to learn? And can we learn when our attention is divided between homeworks and video games particularly when we prioritize the joy of video game over the routine of doing math problems? What if we end up learning nothing?
"I'm not learning anything from this homework anyway. It's the easiest thing in the world but you have to actually write the answers. (Sigh.) Anyway I'll do my homework at 6:45 p.m."
No multitasking?
No multitasking.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

A shout out to whoever at Microsoft added the feature to Outlook that warns you when it thinks you missed adding an attachment to an email before sending it. You've saved me having to send countless followup emails over the past few years saying "here's the missing attachment."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I share your enthusiasm for this feature and yet find not only am I able to defeat it by composing complicated emails that don't mention an attachment, which is then forgotten, but on the other side of the same coin I often manage to discuss things Outlook identifies as related to attachment even though they aren't about an email attachment. Then the email program thinks I need to attach something when I do not, and here's what can happen: If you hit send and you don't realize it has inquired, and you close the window or walk away or set the phone down, you may come back and find it still asking you whether you forgot to attach something, so the email you thought was sent was not sent.

Nevertheless I share your joy that many attachments have been added through this feature.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Somebody gave me an unprompted thank you note for doing my job. These are the kinds of things we weep privately about.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

My family has a good support network. Including my awesome brother. I’m very grateful for that.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Kyle wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:58 am My family has a good support network. Including my awesome brother. I’m very grateful for that.
You do seem to have an awesome family! You should invite your brother to this site sometime.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Found out one of the college composition programs out here uses one of my charts as an example in their course. Don't know if it's a what to do or what not to do, but that's alright :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Eliahad wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 pm Found out one of the college composition programs out here uses one of my charts as an example in their course. Don't know if it's a what to do or what not to do, but that's alright :)
How cool is that? I'm impressed.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Eliahad wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:07 pm Found out one of the college composition programs out here uses one of my charts as an example in their course. Don't know if it's a what to do or what not to do, but that's alright :)
Meaningless without a link to the chart. We demand charts.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Phoebe wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:24 am
Meaningless without a link to the chart. We demand charts.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ahhh this is perhaps my favorite one! I have been trying to spread it through the world of every string player I know, with some minor successes! I need to discuss this with my kid now that she knows all the sophisticated music theory they teach in a college. Or at least in theory was supposed to have learned it at this juncture - the next step being a composition course I believe.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I love your version! I'm glad more sophisticated people appreciate it as well.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

There are so many ways to read those two sentences, I'm just enjoying listing the ways.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Wisconsin won the NCAA women’s volleyball championship. Sorry to the Nebraska crowd. I’ve watched many of the UW players since they were freshmen, and they’ve come so close several times. Nice to see them win it all during a couple of the ladies’ last year.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ahh, that was such a close game and such a good matchup. I'm sure the Nebraska people can take comfort in the fact that their team has been so dominant for so many years, and nearly won the national title by relying mostly on first and second year players. But seriously, Big Ten volleyball is the best there is! The quality level of these teams is incredible. Volleyball is so exciting to watch - I like to play it too but with my 1-in vertical jump I have limited tasks.