Chauvin Guilty

Kyle

Chauvin Guilty

Post by Kyle »

Chauvin guilty on all counts, including 2nd degree murder, which carries a 12.5 year sentence. But if the jury finds that he committed his crime with aggravating factors (i.e., while there was a child present-- a 9 year old testified about his actions at the trial) his sentence could be as much as 40 years.
Mike

Re: Chauvin Guilty

Post by Mike »

Good.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I knew I'd cry no matter the verdict, but relieved my cries came with justice.

Aside, dunno why some in the GOP have a definition of impartiality that means showing equal sympathy to a victim and convicted murderer Derek Chauvin.
Mike

Post by Mike »

poorpete wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 pm Aside, dunno why some in the GOP have a definition of impartiality that means showing equal sympathy to a victim and convicted murderer Derek Chauvin.
Because convicted murderer Derek Chauvin is a white police officer, obviously. This standard would not apply to any poor person or any person of color.
Mike

Post by Mike »

And if there's any doubt about that, recall that prior to this, Republican politicians have only applied that standard to powerful white men accused of sexual assault (sorry, Cosby).
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mike wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:23 pm
poorpete wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 pm Aside, dunno why some in the GOP have a definition of impartiality that means showing equal sympathy to a victim and convicted murderer Derek Chauvin.
Because convicted murderer Derek Chauvin is a white police officer, obviously. This standard would not apply to any poor person or any person of color.
And certainly not to a Muslim, as we can document from numerous past incidents.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I can find no joy in it even though there is grim satisfaction in seeing a just verdict. It feels like the door is finally cracked open: maybe now there's a chance some larger fraction of these cases will be dealt with appropriately, and some behavior change will occur. But maybe not? Then no sooner had the verdict come in when it was followed by the latest case in Columbus. It's constant. Soon another mass shooting. Then police shootings. On and on. The psychotic reaction to this on the right is not helping. It's like they have to reach even farther now, no sense of basic shame or decency left there.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Looking back on this today...

I get progress is a slow flow forward full of ebbs, but man. Again, tears no matter what.

The system still has serious flaws. And with beatification of the killer by politicians, so has society.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The fact that he was acquitted does not trouble me because maybe they were difficult facts to present under the law and they had a difficult judge and other matters to contend with. I didn't see all the evidence so I don't know what their reasons were and for all we know maybe they were good. The problem is the way that this ding dong is being celebrated as an American hero, as if the proper response to our current situation is to run around with a gun. This place is just messed up, seriously messed up.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

The problem is that, if you’re white, you’re allowed to create the perilous situation that makes you fear for your life and invoke self defense. People of color aren’t.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh yes, white ladies are always in peril, in particular. The problem is our case becomes less believable if we stroll around with a powerful weapon.
Last edited by Phoebe on Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Do you all remember that time the Black Panthers asserted their rights to open carry guns and all of sudden Ronald Reagan got scared? I'm glad to know that people of color can now protest outside of MAGA rallies with their weapons, legally carried or not. Phew.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

So many think white people need guns to protect themselves. Black people need guns to commit crimes so cops should shoot them. If they weren't up to no good, why did they have a gun?

Gonna keep returning to this thread, just to continue to gain perspective. It was just one week ago when things felt a little hopeless. Seven months ago things felt like they were changing. Now sorta feeling that way again, but in both Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd's case, to get the just result, required consistent effort (the murderers were not charged until the video was released and the state took over the investigation). Maybe in the future a just result would just be expected.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ah is there a verdict in that Arbery case? To the googles! I have spent the last week accidentally encountering the type of person who thinks that Rittenhouse kid is a big hero. These are also people who want us to believe they are responsible gun owners, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, and now they're all into the finer points of how this kid is some type of gun ninja who only managed to detect and kill pedophiles or something, with his Spidey sense and incredibly accurate ability to shoot without accidentally killing anyone else. Don't ask me. It's the new model for young men. I think this is what Josh Hawley wanted. Maybe it's what Jordan Peterson wanted, I don't know. Make your bed and take your damn assault rifle with you and use your spidey sense to shoot bad leftists only. Kill as many as you can. This appears to be the advice.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Glad they got convictions in the Arbery case. I agree with both verdicts. There was plenty of video evidence and clear distinctions can be made between the 2 cases

Regarding Kyle Rittenhouse,
If you chase a guy with a gun and attack him you can probably expect to get shot, especially if he has shot someone moments earlier. Darwin Awards given.
My wife thinks he should not have had an AR. I think an AR is a statement and not a good defensive choice. If you want to do some real defensive work carry a semi-auto shotgun. However there would have been more persons hit by the projectiles if he had used a shotgun. Unfortunately he drew it too late and had to use it. Had he drawn it too soon it would have been seen as provocation.

My wife has 2 pistols for different occasions as do I. I do not carry because of my line of work (Federal property) but if I could I would have one in my car. I do not own an AR but I own 3 rifles and 2 shotguns.
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I honestly do not care one way or the other what a jury did with the Rittenhouse case, since I don't know what all the details and facts they saw might be, but I do care that he is being praised as a hero, as if anything he did on that day could be classified as good or worthy of emulation. What the hell? Now he's some kind of minor celeb du jour, doing interviews and guest spreads and appearances, and it makes me ill. Go out to a protest and shoot up some people in the road and this is your reward, kids. Really? This is the role model now? I think what chaps me the most about it is the idea that because, by sheer chance and coincidence, he killed a sex offender who apparently molested boys, what he did was heroism. If you run across Hitler in the road and kill him, but you didn't have the slightest clue who he was, how did that make you a hero? No, it's a killer killing a particularly wicked person who is worse than the killer. No good to be found there except accidentally.