COVID-19 Issues

Tahlvin

Re: COVID-19 Issues

Post by Tahlvin »

I have now been re-boosted.
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

scheduled for shot #4 in a week or so. Moderna as opposed to Pfizer. So far zero reaction.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

My wife tested positive this morning. It’s her second time. It kind of turned things upside down with her going into isolation and me having to figure out how the other seven of us are going to function- but we’re working it out. She’s fully vaxxed and boostered, so it seems like it’s mild. But she still feels crappy.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Sending hopeful, healing vibes her way!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Everyone doing ok?

Daughter positive again, 70 days after the first time. Sniffles for now, hope that's the worst it gets for all of us. And just like last time, she test positive the morning we are to leave on our first out of state vacation in three years.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Argh, nooo! Hope she is better and everyone else escapes - they say we have two new variants now, relatively vaccine resistant.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Son leaves for France in 2 weeks, so we’re masking up from here on out. After being delayed 2 years, we don’t want him to miss the trip because of a last minute infection.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I've tested positive just as my wife recovered and got out of isolation. I have almost no symptoms, though. Just cough and scratchy throat. No fever or the other severe symptoms she had.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Wife had the lightest positive line this morning, had to use the phone flashlight to be sure. Good luck
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I don't see how my kid doesn't have covid but repeated testing hasn't shown it. Maddening. It's scary both in the short term and with all the unknown of long term effects. Kids are often resilient but still, hate this. Everyone else I specially don't want to have it also has it, except husband and other kids, we all seem ok.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Any better? I will say my wife had some symptoms last week and more inflamation as is common with covid and long covid, but tested negative. Maybe there's another thing going around under the radar.

So the government shelved plans to expand the booster for us under-50s because the updated Omicron boosters might be ready in mid-September. Which... great if that's the case but three concerns

1. Maybe it won't be ready in September. Worry level: low, science has been pretty successful here
2. Maybe it won't work or at least not work well on a new variant. Worry level: low-medium, mostly worried that a post-Omicron variant will take over, but if I had to guess, that variant won't rise for months so maybe we'll at least get a nice Autumn.
3. Maybe they will delay it for us under-50s again because the priority will always be those most at-risk, as it should. Worry level: medium, because of demand too they may totally do this in stages, meaning instead of getting an ok booster during peak Omicron 5 now, I will get a good booster maybe three months from now, possibly one or two waves from now. Shrug!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The info I have from reasonably close to a horse's mouth suggest they really are going to have an omicron specific booster pretty soon, so they want everybody eligible to get round four a vaccination in now.
But then the complication is, would it be better to get novavax vaccine? And if so, how does that fit in with the rest of this plan, and are they understating the potential risks?
It isn't very helpful for them to say that you have a three times greater risk of having heart complications from the covid virus than you do from having novavax vaccine, if you don't really ever have to take novavax because there are alternative vaccinations or if you were in a much lower risk category anyway.
It frustrates me that the public health messaging on all this stuff is still so poor and so confusing to figure out.
Nowhere near as frustrating as the fact that 30% of the nitwits in this country won't get vaccinated properly, but still frustrating.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Balls. I guess “barely” testing positive is the same as testing positive.

This is time number four. Balls.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Aghhh that sucks! Is it possible you still just have enough lingering to have that super faint effect? Or do you have the whole symptom set? Awful.
I feel like so many people have it and the crazy thing is, unless they have symptoms severe enough to discuss it with the doctor, nobody's even reporting all the positive tests these days and most people are testing at home as opposed to one of the drive-throughs. I know they try to accommodate that in models but I don't think the current report of public health matches the high number of cases.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I have the symptoms- sore throat, 99.9 fever, bad congestion and mild cough. But none of it is debilitating. I still got on the riding mower and mowed the grass. It feels like a really bad cold.

But also- my daughter and son had Covid last week, so I tested negative twice- the most recent time was two days ago. But I'm not going to really complain. I'm not feeling that terrible and I'm still able to work and do stuff. The only thing that sucks is having to work from home most of this next week while getting ready for a trial that starts a week from Tuesday. But whatever- others have had real problems with it. I'm just inconvenienced.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is why we can't have nice things:
This morning my phone delivers me the urgent headline that a dangerous new problem may have been found with the COVID booster!
A doctor is being interviewed!
People might be having strokes of a certain kind after the booster!
But wait a minute, we don't actually have any evidence about this - It's just something they're looking into out of an abundance of caution. But since they're looking into it presumably we should be very worried and think twice before getting a booster. Since we know that all the problems are covered up and the CDC would never tell us about them, The fact that it's looking into anything means that the anything is a real problem! We don't need actual evidence to know this.
The doctor agrees with the critics because the booster was only tested on eight mice!
Who the hell is this doctor?
It turns out he's some joker from the Cato institute and Federalist society.
But how many people are going to look that up and think that's a reason to doubt what he's saying?
How many people read that eight mice statement and recognize it as a commonly spouted red flag that the person is full of s***?
So thanks Google because you're just spreading vaccine misinformation. Be awesome or not suck or whatever it is your motto is Google.