COVID-19 Issues

Eliahad

Re: COVID-19 Issues

Post by Eliahad »

The husband of someone I've been working closely with the last few days just tested positive. I see more testing in my future.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Oof hope for the best

Article on how we eliminated Rubella, which is terrible for pregnant women, from America with a strategy that includes giving the vaccine to all kids, even though they mostly only got mildly sick...
https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substac ... r-far-less
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It's an interesting example both because it's one of these illnesses that doesn't affect children as intensely as others, and you may have to get boosters for it. It amazes me, this new refrain that any vaccine requiring a booster is somehow thereby suspicious. Except for a few rare cases of the children of anti-vaxxers, almost everyone making that argument is currently protected by some booster or other.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

My oldest son and I got Moderna boosters yesterday. Neither of us reacted to our first two doses (except for a sore arm). But we both have been running fevers all night. AND my arm is sore. Boo! But I suppose this means it’s working.

I’m guessing that last time we were still running high immunities because we’d had Covid four months earlier.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I got boostered Monday, Pfizer after 2 Moderna. Weak and tired yesterday, a little bit of dizziness when sitting up but not as temporary debilitating like the 2nd Moderna shot. Tired but better today.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Whelp, the individual in question tested negative once...and then positive twice. So this is the closest I've ever been to being infected (that I know of). Had a Tuesday that came back negative. Have another one tomorrow and I'm working on scheduling my booster right now.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

My co-teacher has been out sick all week. He got a COVID test today. I hope he's negative.
Reel on a repeating loop
Mando

Post by Mando »

I am considering the Pfizer booster. Might wait until January.
I got my flu shot 2 weeks back.
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Akiva wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:39 am My co-teacher has been out sick all week. He got a COVID test today. I hope he's negative.
Thankfully he tested negative.
Reel on a repeating loop
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Kyle wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:44 am My oldest son and I got Moderna boosters yesterday. Neither of us reacted to our first two doses (except for a sore arm). But we both have been running fevers all night. AND my arm is sore. Boo! But I suppose this means it’s working.

I’m guessing that last time we were still running high immunities because we’d had Covid four months earlier.
In other news, I've been super nauseous and had the pipes running at both ends all day (if you know what I mean). So now I'm wondering if we were just sick and it wasn't the booster.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Certainly possible. On the other hand, one of the remarkable things about people who fear the vaccine is that each one of them knows multiple people who have literally died or nearly died directly because of being vaccinated for Covid, right here in River City or wherever they live (the Ukraine), so who knows. Are there even facts anymore? Probably not. When you get a tetanus shot sometimes you get a terrible protruding knot of pain right where they put it in, so that one is pretty easy to correlate to the actual shot. If they had to give you a Covid shot near the bladder, people would blame the fact that they pee on the covid shot forever after. This world of people, Really.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Negative! But people around me are starting to get infected (most of them vaccinated) more often. I mean, yes, I know people who have caught Covid. I more mean people that I come into direct contact with. So it feels different. Also, Colorado has horrible infection rates right now.

My booster appointment is today. Thankfully.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I should go get my booster today or tomorrow really. I was putting it off for the reason that I knew I would be subject to intense exposure January February March, but we are having a ridiculous spike in cases right now and even though it doesn't get reported in the news the emergency rooms are all overflowing and it's insane. I keep going through the same ridiculous cycle where I decide how absurd it is for me to live in this place rife with dingalings, which has always been this way but got so much worse over the last two decades, and then talk myself into the fact that it's just as bad or worse elsewhere, and I won't want to change my whole future. But I will say a serious plan is forming to retire somewhere else if we survive living among so many idiots that long. I had badly misjudged the nature of the people here, thinking that even if they were mostly conservative they were also the kind of people who would readily do things to help one another, including getting vaccinated if that were the issue. I did not realize how easy it would be to sway all these people with the merest whiff of politics - and not conservative pro-life politics, but b******* fascist pro-death politics. My husband is still of the mind that it's just as bad elsewhere but when you look at the vaccination rates in northern New England or Minnesota or places like that it really is not the same place. There are places with lots of conservatives and lots of guns and whatnot where people somehow manage not to be idiots in quite the way they are around us now. For a long time I was convinced by the idea that shaming these people or scorning them was useless because it would just drive them further into the hole, but I really don't care at this point. If you're anti-vaccine in the current situation, you're either so afraid that no persuasion can help it, or you know darn well that people are going to die because of your position and you truly do not care. I have lived such a naive life for so very long, thinking it was obvious that people cared about preserving one another. It has hit me really hard to be honest that my view of human nature has been so wrong.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Boosted!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yeah!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Y'all. I ran a fever for four days. SUUUUUUUCK! But I finally feel better now.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm Kyle, and if you're like me, you HATE getting sick in dribs and drabs. A little cold here, some sniffles there... so inconvenient! Who needs it?

But now there's a better way! Long ago, I had a dream, and for 30 years I've been perfecting my process of saving up all that illness, storing it, and then getting it all out of the way at once in one giant bundle of sick! "Like a coma?" you ask. *Haha* No. But you'll wish it was!

So for only $19.95, I'll send you my 4 videocassette series "Sick Saver", and you can make my dream your reality! It's not just a better way... It's the Kyle Way!
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mike wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 pm It's not just a better way... It's the Kyle Way!
You damn well know that's a registered trademark of Kyleway Industries. Prepare to get your ass AND your balls sued.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

(Sick Saver is just a really expensive bucket anyway.)
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

We had a sick saver bucket when I was a child. If you really wanted the day home, ask for the bucket... then smell the bucket.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Disturbing
Mando

Post by Mando »

words are failing me. Nothing specific, but everything in general. It takes forever to type out emails or posts. I keep confusing homonyms. I feel like an idiot. Like someone took part of my brain. For example I could not remember the words "rotator cuff" so my brain gave me "radius arm bushing" (a part on my truck) and I culd not get past it until days later when someone else used the words "rotator cuff" about themselves....and I have had 2 rotator cuff surgeries.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Mando wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 pm words are failing me. Nothing specific, but everything in general. It takes forever to type out emails or posts. I keep confusing homonyms. I feel like an idiot. Like someone took part of my brain. For example I could not remember the words "rotator cuff" so my brain gave me "radius arm bushing" (a part on my truck) and I culd not get past it until days later when someone else used the words "rotator cuff" about themselves....and I have had 2 rotator cuff surgeries.
How longs this been going on?
Mando

Post by Mando »

since March. I had a real bad Covid for 2 weeks in late February. Yeah it sounds like dementia too.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

That sucks. I’ve heard people with long Covid are having trouble getting doctors to take them seriously. Are you having those issues?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

When you have a few random symptoms and need a covid test, you can have one the next day, at the earliest, unless you'd like to go in to an actual clinic. But please time your request properly, because if it's too late into the weekend, too bad. You will either wait until Monday, or take a test that won't give you results until Tues or Wed anyway, because that's helpful for determining what to do.
Seems like a smart, functional way to set things up, 1.75 years into a pandemic that continues to roll on vigorously.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Why not just take a home test?
Mando

Post by Mando »

Kyle wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:39 am That sucks. I’ve heard people with long Covid are having trouble getting doctors to take them seriously. Are you having those issues?
My doctor suggested "Post-It" notes to help me remember things so I am thinking I should pay him in chickens since the advice is from a time gone by as well.

Edit: While it wasn't bad advice it was not what I was looking for. I have found that I lose post-its because I forget where I put them...same with pens....I start the day with 8 in my pocket along with a penlight and an OLFA razor cutter and half way thru the day I only have 2 pens and of courseit is one of my less favorite ones so I am displeased.

So for me post-its are a crutch that I will not outgrow.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I just heard someone mention one of the great divine gifts: The OLFA cutter.

Oh, also got my booster because apparently the last time I checked they weren't giving it out to random people of my age who didn't have any other health problems but now the guidance is universalized and so any of us randoms can get it. I wanted to mix and match but just got the same kind as that's what they had available today. Kids are all fully vaccinated, parents are all fully vaccinated, most of our relatives are all fully vaccinated, and now we just wait for Christmas and see if this new variant completely destroys our effort to have a holiday together.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Wow does that third covid booster hit like a Mack truck! I'm desperately pumping caffeine into my body and I can feel every scrap of energy slowly leaking out of my sunken eyes. I can barely get up and walk around. I'm just going to roll places until this goes away.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:29 pm Wow does that third covid booster hit like a Mack truck! I'm desperately pumping caffeine into my body and I can feel every scrap of energy slowly leaking out of my sunken eyes. I can barely get up and walk around. I'm just going to roll places until this goes away.
That sucks. My fever lasted four days from the Moderna booster even though I had no symptoms with the first two shots.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Wife got boostered at the same time a cold virus (or something similar) hit our family, so it's been hard to tell what is what -- but it definitely taxed our immune system -- no regrets :-)

Two weeks ago I was talking to a friend and said I was optimistic, at least for my family hanging out more often with theirs over the winter, moving ahead, and then said, well knowing how this has gone, "cue a week later" and I'll be back to saying we should just hibernate like last year and a week later the omicron news hits.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Yeah the first two shots were nothing, just took a long nap and was better for it. I'm hyped up on caffeine and cranberry juice and ready to rumble for school pick up now, but counting the seconds until I can lay in my bed like a potato.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

One of the things I find most mentally exhausting about this whole deal for almost 2 years now has been the terror that you are going to give death to someone inadvertently. We keep dealing with all these minor symptoms coming through, bubbling up, fading down, and you're constantly exposed to this person or that person who has tested positive or lived with a person who tested positive or something.

But we're not living that lockdown life, so every day I wonder if today is the day that I have inadvertently passed along death and destruction to someone I liked or cared about, and whenever I hear about somebody who is sick I wonder if I'm the one who did it to them without realizing it, because the negative covid test would have turned to a positive test if I had just tested every day, or what I thought was a little bit of allergy sniffle after vacuuming was actually THE symptom!

The stress of this gets me down every so often. It's literally physically taxing to constantly worry about this without resolution. It's basically the fear of uncertainty combined with the fear that you have done something terrible to another person and hurt them, combined with never being able to resolve this uncertainty, but people are certainly being hurt. Every so often it builds up to the point of having a headache and being totally exhausted over it
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

All these months of staying away from my parents in Indiana in order to avoid possibly infecting them, being frustrated because they refuse to get vaccinated or stop going places (at least they SOMETIMES wear masks when the go places), etc, etc. And now that my dad had 6 bypasses and is in the hospital with some complications from the surgery, my mom finds out she's positive for COVID and is at the hospital getting an infusion for treatment. (You know, the infusion the Trump supporters love that is more experimental than the vaccine that they refuse to take?) Of course, dad's been exposed because mom has been visiting him in the hospital almost daily, so now he'll have to be tested and isolated and etc.

FUCK
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

*wham wham wham wham wham wham wham*

I'm sorry, man, that sucks.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh I am so sorry, the stress of this has to be terrible. I hope they both make it through okay! Hopefully your dad will be one of those people who just never shows a symptom.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Honestly do not know how health care professionals manage to keep going to work, because I have no interest in going to the office whatsoever due to living in a society so utterly incapable of handling its basic responsibilities to deal with a pandemic. If I were a nurse I probably would have lost all my marbles by now (let's assume I had any left). It is probably good that I did not become a nurse on the many occasions when that avenue was a powerful temptation, or I'd be locked somewhere into a place with vulnerable patients, living in constant terror of killing them accidentally. The stress of almost two years of worrying about inadvertently killing my parents or making them suffer something terrible is finally getting to me in some deeper way, and I think it's also getting to them, or at least to one of them. These conditions would be endurable if we felt that society had no choice because of the difficulty-level of the virus. The fact that it's CHOSEN, that it's this way ON PURPOSE, because of politics and stupidity and bad attitude and bad character, is beyond me.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Not looking for sympathy (well, maybe a little), not expecting a solution, just airing this to hopefully expunge it from my system. I'm sure I've said these things in the past.

Christmas morning I get a call from my mother. Both of my sisters drove up from Philadelphia Christmas Eve to spend a few days back home. The anticipation was to spend part of Christmas morning with each other before spending a day and a half with different parts of Mrs. Darcs' family. Relevant facts: mom and dad are both vaccinated and boosted. Sister 1 has only had one vaccination, reported some side effects, and has reportedly been told by her doctors to not continue with vaccination, though she somehow does not have documenation for any medical exemptions for vaccination. Sister 2 is fully vaccinated. Both mom and dad have various other health issues. Sisters show up on Christmas Eve at 11:30 pm, coughing up a storm. Parents do not let them into house until they have been tested. Appraently, there were no testing locations open or home testing kits available in Philadelphia. Both sisters test positive for COVID, and they are relegated to the basement. Darcs household has to decline going to see them for Christmas (we have all been fully vaccinated and Mrs Darcs has been boosted), because of obvious concern for healths, fear of spreading to others we would be visiting, and concern over how this could affect my still paralyzed eye. Parents assure me that the will stay separated from sisters, who will be leaving day after Christmas early in the morning to return to Philly.

When we drop off presents for sisters later in the evening (we will exchange gifts with parents hopefully later, after a few days and parents have both been tested negative), all four of them are sitting around the same dinner table with less than 3 feet distancing.

Get a call Wednesday that Dad has now tested positive for COVID. Mom refuses to say it was caught fro sisters, but instead that he must have had it from "the week before when he was running errands." (Said errands included driving me around to various doctor's appointments.)

Thursday, get a text from my childcare provider. My children walk to childcare provider's house after school, who watches them for 60-90 minutes until I can pick them up. (For reasons I don't understand, my kids are not allowed to come to my school - across the parking lot - to wait in my room until dismissal time. High school students are apparently allowed to stay with their parents who teach in the high school, or to go to the elementary school to wait with their parents who teach there, but DARCS IS NOT ALLOWED.) Childcare provider's entire family - mom, dad, 4 children - all have COVID. I know that mom is not vaccinated and has not yet planned to be, though she takes all other precautions and is tested frequently. I do not know about the status of other family members but make some assumptions. I have emailed principal to see if I will be allowed to have my children in my room during activity period or not. If not, I have asked what I need to do be dismissed early all of the following week. My guess is I will be denied the privilege of having my children wait in my room and will instead be dismissed earl each day, though this will cause me to be docked at least a half day's pay by the end of the week. I suppose the other alternative is to tell kids to wait in the elementary until I can get them - which means that the elementary main office secretaries will have to have Darcssproggen wait there for 45 minutes until I'm "allowed" to have access to my children - as per superintendent's rigid orders that seem to only apply to DARCS.

Ultimately, everything will be ok. My fam all seems to be reporting to be fine. Childcare provider's situation seems a bit worse, but initial reports seem to be more mild.

My complaints are no where as near as serious as others. I'm not trying to compete for woe is me stories. Just venting off while my nerves remain frazzled and my stress stays in a skyrocketed atmosphere (probably the cause of eye paralysis to begin with).
Mike

Post by Mike »

DMDarcs wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:53 am
My complaints are no where as near as serious as others. I'm not trying to compete for woe is me stories. Just venting off while my nerves remain frazzled and my stress stays in a skyrocketed atmosphere (probably the cause of eye paralysis to begin with).
Pet peeve: when people try to soften or dismiss their own problems, especially with the justification that others have it worse.

Your problems are real and they suck, and in your case, many of them are directly caused by people who know better and could easily have taken actions to prevent/alleviate this. It's frustrating and it sucks and I'm sorry you have to put up with it.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

That sucks. Yes, others have it worse, but that doesn't mean your situation isn't sucky. Wish we were close enough that Mrs. Tahlvin could help watch the kids for that 45 minutes.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Mike wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:05 pm Pet peeve: when people try to soften or dismiss their own problems, especially with the justification that others have it worse.
It's the side product of having one set of grandparents as Baptist preachers (the strict New England kind, not the fun Blues Brothers kind) and the other being hardcore Irish Catholic.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

All of my marbles would be rolling around on the floor at this point; your problem sounds most unpleasant and I cannot believe you are having to deal with such things because of the collective madness of people who should know better. Why, family? Why, babysitter? Everyone at school also should shut up and give you what you want just because you have coined/used the word "Darcssproggen".
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Yet another snow leopard has died. Three died in a Lincoln zoo earlier. How does a snow leopard captured in a zoo get covid? I want to know. What the f*** are they doing wrong that is letting the snow leopards get covid? Can I go live with the snow leopards and not have to have people around?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:08 pm Yet another snow leopard has died. Three died in a Lincoln zoo earlier. How does a snow leopard captured in a zoo get covid? I want to know. What the f*** are they doing wrong that is letting the snow leopards get covid? Can I go live with the snow leopards and not have to have people around?
You could but then they'd all die from your latent Covid.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Daughter’s boyfriend tested positive, and daughter who has been staying at his apartment has the same symptoms, so pretty sure she’s got it as well. Bubble shrinks further.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

We've got it. Finally got an official result yesterday, like six days after starting symptoms and being around a bunch of family who have it. It, um, keeps going. Felt good for a couple of days and then felt like crap the last two. 0/5 stars, do not reccomend.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh no! I hope it leaves you quickly!! Are you able to get the antibody treatment or anything else? Please take the best care of yourself!

And also the same for Tahlvin's kid - hopefully they recover quickly!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Fever and cough for three days, but tested negative for Covid (as did my daughter who has the same symptoms). Hell of a time to get the flu or a bad cold.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Kyle wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:31 am Fever and cough for three days, but tested negative for Covid (as did my daughter who has the same symptoms). Hell of a time to get the flu or a bad cold.
Nevermind. I just tested positive.