Nerd Pride Charity Investment Club

Kyle

Nerd Pride Charity Investment Club

Post by Kyle »

[PLACEHOLDER]
Last edited by Kyle on Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle

Re: Nerd Pride Investment Club

Post by Kyle »

So I had an idea that we, as a community, start an investment fund where we all agree in stocks to invest in and, after a year or two (or whatever the group decides), we donate the money we used and any gains to a charity. I'll agree to donate $100 to start it off, and no one else has to donate anything. If you want to, great. If you don't, that's great too because I still want you to participate. I'll hold the account on my Robinhood or some other similar app.

Whether or not people donate, anyone can participate in working together to figure out: (1) what charity to donate to; and (2) what to invest in.

I think we should agree that we're not looking to day-trade. I don't really want to do this as a wallstreetsbets thing where we're gambling for fun. But we have in-depth discussion and try to hold stocks for awhile that: (1) we think will appreciate; and (2) are worthy companies to invest in.

I don't have all the rules figured out- I thought we'd agree to those as a group too. So do we vote on when to buy? Do we just discuss and come to a consensus? Who knows. But we're all intelligent adults that can work that out.

Anyone interested in participating?
Stan

Re: Nerd Pride Charity Investment Club

Post by Stan »

I'm in. It sounds like you're not someone who is going to move the money around every week, which I appreciate.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm in. This is a great idea.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'll chip in.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Stan wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:59 am I'm in. It sounds like you're not someone who is going to move the money around every week, which I appreciate.
Well, we won't move any money unless the group consensus agrees to it.

But you're also right- I think we ought to hold stocks for an extended time. Look at mid to long term appreciation.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

So what's a charity people would be interested in? For me personally, it doesn't have to be a pure secular charity (i.e., Habitats for Humanity is a charity I've donated to before), but I also would prefer it not be a religious-forward charity. Thoughts?
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I'm cooling putting in my opinions, but maybe I'll just look on for now as I feel back that I can't chip in currently.

For charity, a potential questions to ruminate on: who has had a hard pandemic? Who will need a big influx as things open up?

When Trump was elected I wondered who'd need the most help. It'll be hard on a lot, but most people had at least some protections, from the constitution's protected classes to state laws that counteracted or lessened the sting of federal decrees. I came to the conclusion that illegal immigration had it the worst. They were going to be hit and had little or no legal recourse.

I know things are moving in a good direction in the last few weeks, and I am optimistic, but there's a lot of work to go to get seasonal labors a real healthy protection. Laws need to exist to make them safe not fearful. I assume RAICES will still need help, even with a more benevolent government. And RAICES helps with legal work, but are they successful at lobbying for changes in the law? I don't know.

Anyways, just an idea... excited to hear y'all's...
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

poorpete wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:06 pm I'm cooling putting in my opinions, but maybe I'll just look on for now as I feel back that I can't chip in currently.
No, no, no. I want you to participate. I really, really don't want to have people feel like they have to contribute money. I want to use our collective wisdom for the best result. Whether you donate money or not, we benefit from your opinions and thoughts.
For charity, a potential questions to ruminate on: who has had a hard pandemic? Who will need a big influx as things open up?

When Trump was elected I wondered who'd need the most help. It'll be hard on a lot, but most people had at least some protections, from the constitution's protected classes to state laws that counteracted or lessened the sting of federal decrees. I came to the conclusion that illegal immigration had it the worst. They were going to be hit and had little or no legal recourse.

I know things are moving in a good direction in the last few weeks, and I am optimistic, but there's a lot of work to go to get seasonal labors a real healthy protection. Laws need to exist to make them safe not fearful. I assume RAICES will still need help, even with a more benevolent government. Anyways, just an idea...
I like that. We've been participating with a local homeless advocacy and assistance group- which we did before the pandemic, but have participated more and donated money and resources since the pandemic. I like the idea of choosing a well-vetted charity that is helping people that are particularly vulnerable right now.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I'll be happy to scour your comments for any useful investment advice you might have. However, why not a basic minimal-fee index fund, if the goal is primarily to make surplus for charitable donation? Nerd Pride Foundation, as it were. A few hundred bucks spinning the wheel of stock selection is probably unlikely to outperform a standard index fund over time. However, just my 0.5 cents, as the Dark Lord and Master who controls all my finances is reluctant to endorse this endeavor. I could probably slip you some cash on the side. Cash you outside, as it were. I would consider it a donation to NPR itself so I don't care what you do with it, but charities affiliated with churches where LGBT people are not fully equal humans are like a fancy spangled loincloth for the devil, so... things to consider.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I don't really want to invest in a fund. If we want that- then we can just donate money to charity. I wanted to do something that would be interesting and fun for people, and benefit a charity at the same time. I want to do something that everyone can be involved in, even if they're not in a place where they can donate money right now.
Stan

Post by Stan »

While Phoebe's idea is more practical, I think Kyle's is more interesting.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ah, I get it, so it's an investment club which then donates proceeds to charity, but the interesting part is considering the investments. Ok, sounds good.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:27 am Ah, I get it, so it's an investment club which then donates proceeds to charity, but the interesting part is considering the investments. Ok, sounds good.
Yeah- otherwise we could just donate money to charity. But if folks are inclined to do that, they don’t need a group to do it. This way people that can’t afford to donate can still help with their advice and wisdom.