I hate this

Akiva

I hate this

Post by Akiva »

Both the county I teach in and the county I live in have a lot of poor families. So there are lots of Free and Reduced Meals students (FARMs; not sure if that is a Maryland term or used in other states too) in those school systems--both the school at which I teach, and the elementary school to which my kids used to go, have something like 90% of the students on FARMs. Since the quarantine, both school systems have been providing meals to not just the kids, but their families; families can pick up food at some distribution sites.

I hate that this is happening. I am happy that the schools are doing this, but they shouldn't have to. In a country as rich as this, how the fuck can we have so many families who need food? What is wrong with this society?
Reel on a repeating loop
Kyle

Re: I hate this

Post by Kyle »

Agreed. The inequities are growing, or at least I think they're more visible now. Wait until January when everyone gets evicted, goes off unemployment and still can't work because there are no jobs. I think it's going to get much worse. Meanwhile, Congress is holding up a relief package because they can't agree on language for coronavirus liability protection for companies. Ridiculous.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Agreed. This pandemic has shown flaws in our system and I'm worried once it's over those flaws will still exist. Like how essential sick leave is, for people's health and also to stymie a pandemic like this. Forcing people to choose between health and safety vs. a paycheck is awful... and that liability waiver fits similarly.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Yes. We get weekly emails about this from each of the kids' schools, as the various dining schedules and food pickup plans are adjusted for the different holiday weeks here. The big worry is that people who most need the meal delivery service are not able to come pick it up, or risk exposure to COVID if they need to e.g. rideshare to pick it up. Why have we relegated basic nutrition support to the school system? Well, I don't mind the choice of delivery method insofar as it is a convenient way to get it directly to families via the people who need it most, and also ensure that the kids are eating it. The fact that it is needed? OBSCENE.

At this point, despite the physically-felt relief that the creature is no longer going to be in office, and removing or resisting the influence of those other horrid dragons seems a little more within reach, the situation seems so bleak. Could also be because I've given up mascara thanks to the daily emails that produce crying, after hearing about this or that person's situation. This one tested positive for COVID and then her parents got it, probably from her; she hopes they don't die, in their at-risk categories. That one is working two jobs and still needs to get to the food bank line because her car no longer works and the money is going to have to go toward it. This one's husband left her while she is pregnant and although she has a job, she only gets those few weeks of unpaid leave, and won't be able to afford her monthly bills once she has to take care of a baby as well. That one just had a premature baby and was already broke, so I guess Medicaid is paying for things, or bankruptcy, and her parents and grandparents are giving her food and housing. Just want to add these people are the same ones the rest of us are expecting to become our nurses, social workers, teachers, etc. and, well, our society already treats them like crap and there is no sign of stopping.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I think Kyle is right that it's going to get a lot worse.

When all of this started, lots of people said that things will be very different after this ends (e.g. teachers will be more appreciated, more people will work remotely), but I suspect when it comes to the big stuff little will change.
Reel on a repeating loop
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

I do not think that appreciation for teachers will increase overall. The parents who will praise teachers for what they do are those who would normally do so; those who complain about teachers are those who continue to do so. I think there is going to be a larger number of parents who will unschool their children. I have seen a good number of parents pull their students for either fully remote learning or for home schooling. The majority of the parents who are home schooling have absolutely no idea what they are doing nor have the inclination to seek out any resources. Several families who are going fully remote also have the crappiest internet connections in the district - mountain, poverty, and the cable company refusing to run lines are all factors in this. There are a lot more anecdotal aggressors that drive me nuts about all of this, but I really can't think about this. I've literally reverted 18 years back in my career and am just trying to survive each day as it comes.
Stan

Post by Stan »

I hate that I have to agree with everyone's pessimism here.

Tangentially related, I saw something supposedly from a higher up at GoFundMe to the effect, "I run a company that runs popularity contests where the losers die. Of course I'm depressed." There's just so much not really working about the present setup. I get frustrated by all the people who understand that there's a problem but vote for politicians who tell them the source of problem is people with darker skin so that they can keep profiting from a broken system.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

DMDarcs wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:15 pm I I've literally reverted 18 years back in my career and am just trying to survive each day as it comes.
I'm in my 14th year, and I still feel that every day because I'm so bad at my job. So is stresses me horribly.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Akiva wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:04 am
DMDarcs wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:15 pm I I've literally reverted 18 years back in my career and am just trying to survive each day as it comes.
I'm in my 14th year, and I still feel that every day because I'm so bad at my job. So is stresses me horribly.
At the present moment, just getting through it without being a terrible jerk or crying excessively is a win. Now that we are able to see the full gamut of how people do things with remote learning, the main problems seem to occur with people who want to do exactly what they did before even though it's no longer possible, and are not willing to make any accommodation for the difficulty of the circumstances. The teachers doing the best have all basically thrown their hands up and said, well, this is experimental and we're going to do the best we can. Somewhere in the middle are the people who are trying to do this but keep falling apart emotionally, because the students really can't be your source of support, as much as I sympathize with why this is occurring. A little bit of it is okay; too much starts to freak out the youngins.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:14 am
Akiva wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:04 am
At the present moment, just getting through it without being a terrible jerk or crying excessively is a win. Now that we are able to see the full gamut of how people do things with remote learning, the main problems seem to occur with people who want to do exactly what they did before even though it's no longer possible, and are not willing to make any accommodation for the difficulty of the circumstances. The teachers doing the best have all basically thrown their hands up and said, well, this is experimental and we're going to do the best we can. Somewhere in the middle are the people who are trying to do this but keep falling apart emotionally, because the students really can't be your source of support, as much as I sympathize with why this is occurring. A little bit of it is okay; too much starts to freak out the youngins.
That sucks, Phoebe. You know what would make you feel better? An Avatar. Here. I thought this one would cheer you up:
Attachments
09C12FBC-DAA6-4C5D-AA52-83456C84ECCB.png
09C12FBC-DAA6-4C5D-AA52-83456C84ECCB.png (46.97 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Last edited by Kyle on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

DMDarcs wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:15 pm I do not think that appreciation for teachers will increase overall. The parents who will praise teachers for what they do are those who would normally do so; those who complain about teachers are those who continue to do so. I think there is going to be a larger number of parents who will unschool their children. I have seen a good number of parents pull their students for either fully remote learning or for home schooling. The majority of the parents who are home schooling have absolutely no idea what they are doing nor have the inclination to seek out any resources. Several families who are going fully remote also have the crappiest internet connections in the district - mountain, poverty, and the cable company refusing to run lines are all factors in this. There are a lot more anecdotal aggressors that drive me nuts about all of this, but I really can't think about this. I've literally reverted 18 years back in my career and am just trying to survive each day as it comes.
You’re strong enough to get through this, and I’m sorry you’re going through it. I thought an Avatar would brighten your day. This one seemed particularly appropriate for you.
Attachments
DD8EF36A-8AFD-4F1A-B93C-1243A68260E7.png
DD8EF36A-8AFD-4F1A-B93C-1243A68260E7.png (34.85 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Stan wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:44 pm I hate that I have to agree with everyone's pessimism here.

Tangentially related, I saw something supposedly from a higher up at GoFundMe to the effect, "I run a company that runs popularity contests where the losers die. Of course I'm depressed." There's just so much not really working about the present setup. I get frustrated by all the people who understand that there's a problem but vote for politicians who tell them the source of problem is people with darker skin so that they can keep profiting from a broken system.
I wanted to do something “nice” for you to cheer you up too, but forgot you already got that rad avatar. So I found and edited this avatar of Emperor Nikephorus Phokas if you ever want to use it.
Attachments
480D27AF-754B-4DED-B7D9-7EE02D7E5292.png
480D27AF-754B-4DED-B7D9-7EE02D7E5292.png (44.28 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Last edited by Kyle on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Kyle wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:48 am I wanted to do something “nice” for you to cheer you up too, but forgot you already got that rad avatar. So I found and edited this avatar of Emperor Nikephorus Phokas if you ever want to use it.
I almost went that pic yesterday but I'm lazy and didn't feel like resizing. Thanks! I'll switch to this at some point.
I was looking for my portrait avatar when I found the old one I'm using.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That dude is kind of hot, but the turtle is even better. I don't know how to make a turtle my avatar. I feel like today was a success if I can get a shower in, so...