Wanda (with Spoilers)

poorpete

Wanda (with Spoilers)

Post by poorpete »

Has anyone been watching WandaVision.

I went from disinterest to incredibly engaged and now I feel a little unsure of what it's doing or why.

My main question: is it a serious show about trauma that pretends it's about superheroes, or is it a show about superheroes that uses trauma like a soap opera uses amnesia?
Mike

Re: Wanda (with Spoilers)

Post by Mike »

I've only seen 1-6 so far.

My answer... I don't know yet. Maybe both? I'm really enjoying it either way. And I like the idea of limited run series like this in the MCU.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks so far.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Is this the one I see advertisements for where some superheroes are living a kind of Truman show sitcom life and then someone else zaps their bubble and it goes all rainbowy? This is a weird description but that's as close as I can get.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Phoebe wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:06 pm Is this the one I see advertisements for where some superheroes are living a kind of Truman show sitcom life and then someone else zaps their bubble and it goes all rainbowy? This is a weird description but that's as close as I can get.
That's the one. It's got some nice layers. You should try it.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I did think they did a good job of mimicking the sitcom styles of the era, and I'm glad they shouted out the "Dick Van Dyke Show" as an inspiration for the first episode, because the misunderstandings and stress between work and family obligations fit that show more than "I Love Lucy" which was more interested in schemes and counter-schemes. The chocking scene I wasn't a fan of and I was worried this was going to a Stepford Wives horror outlook, but I'm glad where the show eventually ended up, aka in the Sci Fi realm.

My favorite episode was probably the Malcolm in the Middle one, which totally nailed the theme song, the style, and humor. I felt it was a loving homage, while much of the earlier episodes were less odes and more parodies... a little mocking.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

poorpete wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:02 amMy main question: is it a serious show about trauma that pretends it's about superheroes, or is it a show about superheroes that uses trauma like a soap opera uses amnesia?
Based on episode 8, I'm going to say it's a show that tries to take a serious look at trauma and grief that happens to have superheroes as characters. Much like how I saw Jessica Jones as a show that tries to take a serious look at control, gaslighting, and rape, and happened to have supers as characters. The super powers really aren't much of a thrust at all. I mean, Wanda's powers are essential to the storyline, but Vision seems to just be using his as comic relief.

(None of my thoughts and really based on the comics...I don't have too much knowledge of Scarlet Witch past the late 70's. But I've been gathering it's grabbing from a couple of different comics storylines.)
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I hope so. A lot will depend on the finale, how they conclude this stage of her grief.

Stan mentioning Agatha on the competing Scarlet Wish thread, got another question, as these are all new characters to me (though I have skimmed their wikipedia articles). I expect Agatha will be defeated and then at some point in MCU2 will turn into a good guy. They'll need her powers for some reason so they'll break her out of prison or something and then she'll begin her turn to good. Do you expect a different character arc?
Stan

Post by Stan »

My knowledge is on the same level. I think that Agatha is unaligned and curious about the amount of power being demonstrated. She's especially curious as Wanda doesn't seem to know the basics. She appears to be excited and/or scared by the level of chaos magic and its implications. There will be the beginning of a showdown until Sword penetrates the town. I'm not sure whether Agatha will decide to leave when things get hot or will help but she'll remain her own thing.
WillyGilligan

Post by WillyGilligan »

I'm getting strong vibes of "tough love" from Agatha. She might be trying to steal Wanda's power, but she could also be trying to force Wanda to snap out of her breakdown. Her questions about Wanda's power rode the line between a greedy search for knowledge or power, and diagnostic questions
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Spoiling time

Pretty much!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am told the ship of Theseus comes into this thing and now it's all over and I need to pay to watch.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

It does! In an action-packed finale, i'd have preferred a bit more pondering philosophical moments
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The pondering IS the action! 😶‍🌫️