Garth Merenghi's Darkplace

Kyle

Garth Merenghi's Darkplace

Post by Kyle »

I've talked about this before, but I decided to introduce my 14 year old (and my 26 year old watched with us, but he's seen it before) to Garth Merenghi's Darkplace, which is streaming free on Prime:

It's short. It's six 24-minute episodes that were made for the BBC in 2004. Made by part of the team behind What We Do in the Shadows- and starring Richard Ayoade, Matthew Holness, and Matt Berry- it's one of the most absurd and hilarious comedies I've ever seen. The premise is that there was a horror tv show in the 1990s (or thereabouts) that was written by the greatest horror writer of all time: Garth Merenghi. The show is interviews with the "cast" of the show and they introduce and do a little comedy- all in character- and then show the episode, which is made to look like the worst 1900 schlock you've ever seen. It's so wonderful.

BUT LOOK- this style of humor is not for everyone. It's weird. Very weird. And absurd. If you liked Frankenstein's Monster's Monster Frankenstein, then you'll love this. If you hated that- then take a pass.

And the bonus is now that Matthew Holness (who plays Garth Merenghi and created the show with Richard Ayode) has now written a horror anthology IN CHARACTER as Garth Merenghi, which I'm going to start reading tomorrow.