Biden Administration

Phoebe

Biden Administration

Post by Phoebe »

In all the chaos occurring both in and outside the home over the past week or two, I completely missed that Merrick Garland will be our AG. Did I in fact dream this or is that real? I actually shed a small tear. Also we are going to have the most diverse administration ever in our history.
Stan

Re: Biden Administration

Post by Stan »

Just having nominations for positions that don't feel like joke nominations is refreshing.

I was never that enthusiastic about Biden - he's old and feels out of step. But, publicly, his positions have moved to the left in the last year. I don't know how much of this campaign talk, how much is compromising with Bernie fans, and how much is genuinely listening to change.

Most of his policies look like a continuation of Obama and gradual steps towards improvement. Not super dynamic but I think most people will welcome stable increments at this point.

Based on some of his appointments, maybe he will step up and become the right person at the right time.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I think he just does have a genuinely caring personality and probably is capable of learning. I know people have different complaints about him but there's a lot to like.

It's amazing what happens when your deliberate purpose is not to destroy the department for which you're nominating someone, and therefore you pick a person who might be good at it as opposed to one of the people most likely to hasten total destruction.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Garland was picked on Wednesday, somehow got overshadowed. He was nominated right after the 2 Georgia races were called because now he can be replaced on the circuit with a comparable judge, instead of some Mitchy compromise or inaction. We were so young once...
Stan

Post by Stan »

Biden is reported to nominate people to the SEC and consumer financial protection bureau who are aligned with Elizabeth Warren and progressive groups. That implies tougher enforcement of banking regulations.