Yellowjackets

Kyle

Yellowjackets

Post by Kyle »

I have a theory that every fun, dark comedy TV show eventually falls prey to the Desparate Housewives syndrome: eventually things get over the top and ridiculous and they run out of people to kill/people who kill that it jumps the shark. That will happen to this show too. But right now I'm halfway through season 2 and I just love this show.

If you don't know the premise- it's about a group of teen soccer players whose plane crashes in a remote, frozen section of Canada while they're on their way to nationals. They're not rescued for many months. Bad things happen in between.

But that's only half the story. The other story is told in present day, 25 years later. And twists and secrets unfold as shit is still hitting the fan in the present.

Melanie Lynskey is a national treasure... for New Zealand... and we're lucky to see her in anything. Her frumpled housewife is a knife-edge dark side is played so perfectly in this series, I just love her.

An interesting pro/con to this series is that the acting by the younger versions of the characters often far surpasses the quality of the acting of the adult actors. Juliette Lewis, in particular, is hard to watch sometimes.

And a final note. How awesome is Christina Ricci? How many things have I seen her in where she plays radically different characters across the spectrum of emotion, quirk and gravitas? It's so cool to see her in roles like this and you don't even think of her- she's so deep in the character that is overpowering.

Love it.
Phoebe

Re: Yellowjackets

Post by Phoebe »

Christina Ricci is in it? Say no more. Sold!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I watched episode 1 and felt like I was watching the remake of midsommar crossed with desperate housewives crossed with dazed and confused. Weird but I liked it! I like the two main characters in the younger group - must determine the nature of their struggle. If it starts to suck after season 1 please advise.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

It does not. Season 2 is as good as Season 1.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh my goodness. This content and genre is pretty far outside my comfort zone but it's so well acted and done, one cannot help becoming engrossed! I'm not a huge fan of any kind of scary or bloody or weird stuff, so the fact that I really like this show is a testament to the overall quality. About three times an episode I'm basically overwhelmed with AAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!! and have to roll over or go under the covers for a time. However, it's worth the effort. I'm also so upset about things that keep happening in the plot! I want to rewrite! I want to undo! Under normal circumstances this would not be a good reaction but in this case it is. Provides further proof the writers are very effective. I am looking forward to season 2 but need a recovery period. Some kind of frothy light dramedy, harmless.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Awesome! Season 2 is just as good!