Let's Talk About Sports Baby

poorpete

Let's Talk About Sports Baby

Post by poorpete »

Took me to Mariano Rivera's retirement to get over my grudges and admit he was one of the best. Holy crap he was dominant!

Was waiting to feel the same about Brady and it never came. Maybe the heartache was larger, maybe his Trump-fandom keeps me poisoned, maybe he really wasn't the best, or maybe my subconscious, like his, knew he was coming back.
Kyle

Re: Let's Talk About Sports Baby

Post by Kyle »

I don't like Tom Brady. He's a cheater who also played for a team that cheated. But he's the GOAT. No question in my mind.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

He is perhaps the greatest that has ever played the game. And he's also a cheater. And I wish he'd just go away.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Tahlvin wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:23 am He is perhaps the greatest that has ever played the game. And he's also a cheater. And I wish he'd just go away.
I'm still surprised the gambling community didn't do anything about the Super Bowl cheating episode--millions of dollars were at stake. And the fact that the NFL destroyed the tapes just confirms that the cheating was worse than the league said it was.
Reel on a repeating loop
bralbovsky

Post by bralbovsky »

I echo the Brady sentiment exactly....
The whole point is to make the most of one's gifts.
Apparently that embarrassment of riches was insufficient.
His politics are a natural choice for his (lack) of character, and merely give me another reason to want him to disappear.

Frankly, I have boycotted each of the majors since the various strikes. Won't watch them on TV, wouldn't accept free tickets.
Entirely unsurpriseable as far as how low they might sink.
Learning that the league is a non-taxed business...forget it.
The cover ups, the concussions...
These guys are dead to me.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Wow. I just realized that this thread's title is actually supposed to read, "Let's talk about sports, baby!" and not calling Tom Brady a "sports baby."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Unpopular opinion (unless you're talking to certain other kinds of rabid pro football fans of other teams, in which case exciting hot take):
Brady is a cheater and a ding dong who lacks a lot of brain, and he's also no where even close to being the GOAT QB, and he gets way too much credit for the success of his team. If you look at the performance of the Patriots - and put aside all the f****** cheating and ridiculousness - you find games were often won there by the defense, more or as much as by the offense. I don't have time to do this now, but you could go down through all of their championship games and actually figure out the point differential and how many of those things depended on things like interceptions and field goals and holding the other team to a minimum of third down conversions etc etc. I know enough about it to know that he looks a lot less impressive when you start factoring in the performance of the defense and badass field goal kickers. Of course Brady is going to stack up other kinds of impressive numbers when he's got that kind of full team behind him, but show me how he does with a worse team if you want to argue that he's the goat. He's a sheep with very expensive wool, who did a lot for his flock, but he's no goat. And he's a dumbass. I hope I've not been so gentle that you don't understand my point.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I also hope you appreciate that I waited until St. Patrick's Day to say this. Because for a long time some people liked the Pats because they were the Pats. Then it became unsustainable and intolerable.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I just don't think what your saying holds up. Or at least you could say the same about any great quarterback if you dig into the numbers. It's a team sport, wins are always going to rely on other team members. But that doesn't mean Brady isn't the best ever. He is. He did it with the Patriots and the Bucs. His stats are incredible. Its okay to hate him. I hate him. He's a terrible person and a cheater. He fathered children with his wife and another model at the same time. He's gross. But he's the greatest that's played the position.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I dunno if he's the greatest QB of all time, because I think better QBs had worse teams or didn't get the long career he did due to injuries. Best multi-decade career QB, I'll give him that.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

ABSURD on all counts. Let's start with Passing Completions, shall we? Brady isn't even in the top TEN per game for quarterbacks! Explain that one, if he's supposed to be the best, regardless of his supporting cast of team players or the long length of his great but not "best" career?

But isn't Brady supposed to be the best passer? I guess it would show up in stats, right? He racks up a lot of numbers after playing so many years, yeah, but does hanging around make you the best? Surely not! If he's the best, he should dominate in passing yards per season, which would prove he was actually the greatest in all those years of play rather than second or third to others, while simply tacking on more seasons. Here too, Brady fails to measure up: true, he barely edges past Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes (one can debate whether it's easier or harder to do well in your first few years in the NFL, though stats show it's harder) with 3841 yds per season compared to their 3634 and 3798, respectively - a difference that doesn't mean a heck of a lot given that they can RUN THE BALL and he sucks at that part. But more importantly, Brady is CRUSHED by Drew Brees, the actual GOAT or perhaps Runner-up GOAT of NFL QBs, with Brees posting a whopping 4017.9 yards per season. Oh wait, what's that I hear now? Ahhh... Peyton Manning SHAMES both these guys with his 4205 passing yards per season!

Maybe Brady is just more of a precision-tool for touchdowns. Maybe he's the greatest because he gets those completions when they count most? Nope, sorry - yet again his 28.4 falls in behind Brees here, and both of them are outclassed not only by relative newcomer Mahomes at 30.2, but of course, the big rival to Drew Brees for GOAT, P. Manning who comes up with 31 touchdowns per season.

Oh no - you meant precision strikes like fewest interceptions? Sorry, he's still beaten here by Mahomes, the champ Aaron Rodgers who has the fewest, and various others including... Colin Kaepernick? No shit, Kaepernick is picked off less frequently than Tom Brady, and they STILL wouldn't give him a job? My God, wtf racists!

I could go on, but what are we going to say? That Brady can't run? That he presided over offenses who were paired with defenses that absolutely crushed the opposition, and that all he had to do in many cases was advance the ball 30 yards to set up field goal kickers like Gostkowski, with his dominant (11th all time) 86% + rate? And before that, Vinatieri? Are you even kidding me with this Brady is best thing? Is this some kind of advanced troll designed to make me reveal hidden football knowledge? Well, I'm done. I already have old dudes hitting on me at Costco for less. I'm going dark but you know the truth and the facts are on my side here.