Deathless

Tahlvin

Re: Deathless

Post by Tahlvin »

New phone all setup, just need to connect the Bluetooth to the cars. Thankfully, one side effect of so many people working from home lately is that many of the customers have made it much easier to reactivate your 2FA without being onsite. Several of them had self-service portals allowing you to do it, the others you still had to call their help desk and have someone send you a link or set a flag so it would prompt you to re-enroll the next time you logged in.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Whoo! Accomplishment!
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Kyle still alive? Now that I do not see the other humans except through this little panel, many of them report illness and various brushes with crisis or death, or live in places rife with plague, and it is always nice to see the regular proofs of life. I guess for some more than others, but generally, yes, proof of life good.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Probably.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Good morning. Life goes on. Usually.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Good morning! I am still alive! Everyone has turned the corner and are on the mend. I haven’t had a fever for awhile and am feeling much better. All seven of us in the family have it, but three are symptomatic with their only symptom being extra tired.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yay! Victory!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'm glad you're all feeling better!
Mike

Post by Mike »

You didn't ask ME if I'm feeling better.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Found out early this morning that my former boss died. Him and his wife were like second parents to my wife and I, when we moved from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest right after college. Had it not been for the pandemic, we would have gotten out to visit them again over the summer, but now we've been robbed of that chance.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Sorry Tahlvin. That sucks.
Mike

Post by Mike »

No kidding. That's tragic.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

It's weird because I had an urge to call them this past week, and I thought I'd put it off and try to reach them over the weekend. Guess I need to pay closer attention to my urges along those lines.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Don't feel like you need to call me.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I have been worried about you and Mrs. Darcs. I hope you are both doing well?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Present!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Apparently, I really need to pay closer attention to those urges when they hit. It sounds like he had a bit of a fall a couple weeks ago, and when they took him to the hospital, the hospital was worried they didn't have enough staff (thanks to the pandemic) to help him get around safely, so they over-medicated him to keep him still. So it sounds like there may be a bit of medical malpractice involved. I've had these urges before, and sometimes act on them with interesting effects, but usually think people will think I'm crazy if I contact them out of the blue on a whim, so I don't act on it.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Good morning! In brighter news, my family is feeling much better and today is the first time in almost two weeks that one of us is allowed to leave the house!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Glad to hear you all are improving!
Mike

Post by Mike »

YOP!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

YARP!
Mike

Post by Mike »

yurp
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

So tomorrow is freedom day! FREEDOM DAY! I'll go work in my satellite office, still isolated and still not around other people (although i could be!), but out of my house! FREEDOM!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Freedom, freedom, freedom, OY!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

They may take our land, but they'll never take our FREEDOM! But we'll still be fucked.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Basically. Yes.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

FREEDOM DAY!
Mike

Post by Mike »

You can crush me, but you can't crush my spirit!

OW! MY SPIRIT!
Last edited by Mike on Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Kid asks me if we're not having the concert tonight because we had to pivot to remote teaching for today. No kid, we're not having the concert because the stage is full of all the desks and chairs that have been taken out of the other classrooms, there is no room that can hold performers that need to be 12 feet distant from each other and have an audience, and we've never met together as a group to rehearse anything. Duh.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I'm out of my house! I'm in my satellite office! Life is good!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Whoo! Now trash the place!
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

DMDarcs, they just aren't teaching critical thinking skills nowadays, are they?
DMDarcs

Post by DMDarcs »

Tahlvin wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:25 am DMDarcs, they just aren't teaching critical thinking skills nowadays, are they?
I'm the one who usually does this.

The kids are learning remotely today and tomorrow. Staff are supposed to go into work to teach remotely, but I'm not allowed to teach remotely from work, because I haven't been cleared, so I have to teach remotely from home, even though in both cases I'm not interacting with anyone. It feels very catch-2020.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Yes, 2020 can suck Schweddy balls.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I like the way they glisten.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Very glad all are well and out and about! Progress! Glistening!

Very sorry to hear about Tahlvin's boss and the unfortunate timing of not being able to meet with him one last time. I tend to think "weird" experiences like the urge to call people in cases like this are actually "natural" things that science hasn't explained yet, so maybe we will get the explanation someday, or maybe that's to be left to future scientists we will never hear from in our lifetimes, but there has to be an explanation, right?

Like T. was saying: "I've had these urges before, and sometimes act on them with interesting effects, but usually think people will think I'm crazy if I contact them out of the blue on a whim, so I don't act on it."

These are the experiences that, ah, shake my understanding of the universe. You know, you can go down the list of cognitive errors and bad inferences and such, and it comes down to "that was so weird, and I don't know if it's going to ever be explained to me". Stuff like this is a regular feature of life and I don't get it. Same with some of the other most hard-nosed rational people I know, like my dad and husband. They have no idea either but they experience it regularly.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Who knows. Maybe the idea hits every once in awhile and you just shrug it off, but when something bad happens afterwards, that time really stands out in your memory, so you think you have ESP or something like that. But to really experiment on that, I should respond every time I get the urge to contact someone and just see if anything weird is occurring in their life at the time. Science!
Mike

Post by Mike »

And it's not even important that you follow up on those urges. You just need to write all of them down. If you don't remember to write it down until after it becomes significant, then it doesn't count.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Good morning!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Good morning!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Y'all- I can't tell you how different things are now that I'm not worried about getting Covid. It DEFINITELY wasn't worth it- having Covid was fucking awful. But the silver lining is not having to worry about going to the store or constantly being worried about exposure. It's such a weight off.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

But you're like, still using a mask and shit, right? Festivus for the rest of us and all that?
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Actually, scratch that, I'm going to break the rules to say, "Please don't use shit." Thank you.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I'm still using a mask and social distancing and all that- if for no reason than to encourage everyone to follow the protocols. But it's nice to not be worried about it.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'll wait for the vaccine.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Tahlvin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:36 am I'll wait for the vaccine.
I get that, and that was my philosophy before I got Covid, right? I was super cautious and didn't go out if I didn't have to. But it's nice to know that I don't have to have those concerns for a few months. There's a weight that comes with those concerns.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Oh, I get that. It's just that I've been hospitalized before because of asthma and pneumonia, and I don't want to go through that sort of stuff in order to get that feeling of freedom on the other side, especially not if it comes with the potential of not making it through in the first place. But I'm happy you are on the mend, and congratulate you on getting to feel that freedom without significant (that we know of, yet) side effects.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Tahlvin wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:03 am Oh, I get that. It's just that I've been hospitalized before because of asthma and pneumonia, and I don't want to go through that sort of stuff in order to get that feeling of freedom on the other side, especially not if it comes with the potential of not making it through in the first place. But I'm happy you are on the mend, and congratulate you on getting to feel that freedom without significant (that we know of, yet) side effects.
I want to be clear- as I said before- it's not worth it. I'd rather not have been laid up for 10 days with a fever and sleeping 16-18 hours a day. I'd rather not have had the anxiety of monitoring my oxygen saturation level to see if I needed to go to the hospital. It's not worth it.

That doesn't mean there isn't a silver lining.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

From a distance the world looks blue and green,
and the snow-capped mountains white.
From a distance the ocean meets the stream,
and the eagle takes to flight.

From a distance, there is harmony,
and it echoes through the land.
It's the voice of hope, it's the voice of peace,
it's the voice of every man.

From a distance we all have enough,
and no one is in need.
And there are no guns, no bombs, and no disease,
no hungry mouths to feed.
Mike

Post by Mike »

FIRE!