This Happened

Kyle

Re: This Happened

Post by Kyle »

Woah. That's cool. I haven't seen that before.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Right? And I've always wanted a small, full-color Captain America shield tattoo, but it seems too common. Then I saw these, and I found my answer. There's a ton of examples on the web...

https://www.google.com/search?q=parch+t ... e&ie=UTF-8
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mike

Post by Mike »

And yes... I fat-fingered the word 'patch' when I did it.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

The answer to your parch tattoo:
l.jpg
l.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Mike

Post by Mike »

Kyle wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:21 pm The answer to your parch tattoo:
l.jpg
I dig that.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Akiva wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:05 am I'm pretty sure most of my students (or at least a lot of them) have contempt for me. And I've given them good reason to feel that way.
OMG you are so mean to yourself, stop it! You have not given them good reason; contempt should be reserved for those who have really done something wrong, and even if you sucked completely as a teacher, you have not wronged these people in a way deserving contempt. GATHER YOURSELF MAN, you are worth so much more.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Kyle wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:09 pm Woah. That's cool. I haven't seen that before.
Love the tattoo but the legs and floor and foot are freaking me out because it doesn't look like the right leg has a foot but the left one doesn't look like the left foot belonging to that right leg and the floor looks like it might be a leg as well. MIND BOGGLED.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

THESE ARE THE WAGES OF SIN:
I prayed for no more periods and my period (did all of you pray too? my goodness! it is working) was delayed! Or I'm pregnant and will die soon. Oh SHIT. Wait a minute. I should probably stop writing this and go take a pregnancy test PRONTO because I also woke up at 4 am with violent, body wracking pain in my ovary region. Shit.

Okay, good talk we've had here, computer, THE REASON I CAME was to say that one prayer was answered but the COST OF IT appears to be that I GREW A SINGLE CHIN HAIR. MY GOD A CHIN HAIR AND ME YOUNG AS A BABY STILL, WRINKLE-LESS!
I was idly scratching my chin and FOUND A HAIR. W T F
Okay off to see if I am dying and going to pluck the hair out. If I die I can't be found with a chin hair.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Slept terribly—I feel like I barely slept.

And my head really hurts.

Gonna be a great fuckin’ day
Reel on a repeating loop
Mike

Post by Mike »

Slept okay. Gonna be a busy frickin day, but hopefully very productive. Off tomorrow to go see our school compete for football state champs, and then I'm the only one in the office on Wednesday... which is fine, because the day before Thanksgiving is always slooooooooow.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Also slept terribly, but I'm having a pretty decent day. Didn't even indulge myself in a second cup of coffee. Just tackled the day. It's good so far.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

A chunk of my big toe is gone, like the mid-toenail and some skin layers of toe, and I swear NOTHING WHATSOEVER happened to my foot today, and the Least bizarre explanation is aliens. Why did they sample the toe?! Gross.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Does it look bruised or injured at all?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Not at all! You can just see where a triangular piece of toenail has been removed along with a surface shaving of skin, as if I accidentally dragged my toe across a razor blade and it just perfectly smoothly skimmed off a certain segment. So like I said aliens. Clearly Occam's razor at work on that.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I think some sharp-toothed individual is chewing your toes while you sleep.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I will never sleep again.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Aieeeeeeeeeerdjdjfififjfjfjjfkxksjskskskskks you are dead to me you monster! My eyes my eyes my eyes my mind
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Sorry- should have put a content warning. But seriously, what's going on with that second toe?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I hear a ghostly voice but I'm not sure what it's saying. I don't know what it's talking about either. However I will say that every single thing about that picture was wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong everything about it every proportion of every part, everything.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

98B24E6F-0889-484D-AAB7-B7097237CF32.jpeg
98B24E6F-0889-484D-AAB7-B7097237CF32.jpeg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Mike

Post by Mike »

That's more like it.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

[W049TY 0[:tjsghpj"aet WHAT THE HECK is WRONG with yall??????
Mike

Post by Mike »

My wife said she wanted to bring a layered pumpkin dessert to the family gathering. "The one with a graham cracker crust, a layer of cream cheese, a pumpkin filling layer, then cool whip." Sounds easy enough. I searched our recipes, and the only one with the word pumpkin was Pumpkin Cheesecake. Crust, cream cheese, pumpkin filling, cool whip... check. I gather the ingredients and start following the recipe. Make crust, freeze for 20 minutes, make cheesecake batter, pour half into crust, freeze for another another hour... what the hell? I look ahead. I have three more hours to this recipe. That CANNOT be right.

I consult with my wife. No, she says, it's called something like Pumpkin Lasagna. I find recipe online. Holy shit, that is SO much simpler.

So I make that one in like 30 minutes... done and perfect. I'm not going to spend forever on the other, but I don't want that batter going to waste, so I just pour it all into the crust without bothering with all the freezing and layering.

Turns out I accidentally make a plain cheesecake, and we had some toppings in the fridge we could add to it, so we brought two desserts. Both went over well, but the simple lasagna one was easily more popular.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Now I have been in the rabbit holes of pumpkin dessert recipes. So many variants but I want real pumpkin. I found this one with pumpkin puree and vanilla pudding, as opposed to the pumpkin flavored pudding. Is this how you did your successful one?

https://www.gonnawantseconds.com/pumpkin-pie-lasagna/
Mike

Post by Mike »

That is exactly the recipe I used, and I did the pumpkin puree + vanilla pudding + pumpkin spice substitution.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Okay I'm definitely doing this. I went to the store earlier but unfortunately all the Thanksgiving special two days sales for things like cream cheese and whipped topping were long gone! I await next week's ad.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I went to grad school with this asshat.

Unlike me, he did manage to get an academic job. But I hope I'm not as much of an asshat as he is.
Reel on a repeating loop
Stan

Post by Stan »

You could never be the level of asshat he is. No one on this forum could reach a fraction of that.

Meanwhile, I've been unemployed for a week. It's amazing! I'd been burned out for oh so long and thought, 'what the !?#! am I still doing here.' But then the plague hit so I bided my time. Then my boss left and the crap went to 11.

I mentioned to a colleague that I'd be willing to move to their place. A couple weeks later, she had set up a meeting with the people I'd be working with - not a competitive interview, them trying to convince me to work with them. They're all excited for me to start, which is nice change from being considered a body in roles that need percent effort. The pay is only a bit more, all things considered but the change in environment is the big thing. Getting payed for seven weeks of unused vacation is the best parting gift I could ask for.

I arranged for a two week break between jobs. After 20 years at the same job, I need it. I've been cleaning out our big spare room (used to be 2 car garage), so it can be a permanent home office as well as the homeschool, music, craft room, and library that it already is. My plague home office has been the dining room table with no room for papers and too close to sources of noise. If my allergies can survive all the dust from the cleaning, it's going to be pretty sweet.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I'm glad you get a break, and the new job seems like it'll be a big improvement.
Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Congrats on the job change! Hope it works out well for you!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Stan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:56 am You could never be the level of asshat he is. No one on this forum could reach a fraction of that.

Meanwhile, I've been unemployed for a week. It's amazing! I'd been burned out for oh so long and thought, 'what the !?#! am I still doing here.' But then the plague hit so I bided my time. Then my boss left and the crap went to 11.

I mentioned to a colleague that I'd be willing to move to their place. A couple weeks later, she had set up a meeting with the people I'd be working with - not a competitive interview, them trying to convince me to work with them. They're all excited for me to start, which is nice change from being considered a body in roles that need percent effort. The pay is only a bit more, all things considered but the change in environment is the big thing. Getting payed for seven weeks of unused vacation is the best parting gift I could ask for.

I arranged for a two week break between jobs. After 20 years at the same job, I need it. I've been cleaning out our big spare room (used to be 2 car garage), so it can be a permanent home office as well as the homeschool, music, craft room, and library that it already is. My plague home office has been the dining room table with no room for papers and too close to sources of noise. If my allergies can survive all the dust from the cleaning, it's going to be pretty sweet.
This is very exciting news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yay Stan!
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

*snaps!*
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Akiva wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 am I went to grad school with this asshat.

Unlike me, he did manage to get an academic job. But I hope I'm not as much of an asshat as he is.
It takes effort to be on that level! The fact that this person has a job you wanted should be an indication against the true desirability of the job you wanted, imo. On the other hand, is he wrong? I've been minimally medicated, on the whole, and am trying for even less, but I am certainly quarrelsome and troublesome! I take great pride in how much trouble I am capable of causing. Indeed, if we are going to play these games, I think I am the kind of wife only a true Alpha (does this get a Trademark symbol?) male could handle. Kind of like only a Socrates could be a match for the razor tongue of a Xanthippe (and poor Myrto, what of Myrto?!) If you ain't Socrates, step aside, you know? How else do you expect to produce powerful offspring, if that is indeed the good for which women are valued? No powerful offspring from a weak, submissive woman, guy!

In short: man reveals he is too soft and weak to handle anything more challenging than a very compliant woman.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:06 pmIn short: man reveals he is too soft and weak to handle anything more challenging than a very compliant woman.
Which can be shortened to: asshat.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Mike wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:09 am
Phoebe wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:06 pmIn short: man reveals he is too soft and weak to handle anything more challenging than a very compliant woman.
Which can be shortened to: asshat.
Given that he's a Straussian, I would expect him to be circumspect about his beliefs. Then again he's probably not an inner circle Straussian, so he may not know that the stuff they are lying when they speak about values and truth.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That is a wretched bunch of fools if ever there was one.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

How I am living:
All my fingernails are about 1/8 in long and raggedy, because although we own approximately 6000 nail clippers, Every One of them has been stolen and/or lost by a household full of string instrument players and a husband who steals and hides every clipper he sees (even the pink ones for babies) so this won't happen to him too. I have to go buy pair 6001 to clippie my nails. What is this life?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

TL;DR whining deleted. I'm exhausted.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Things have been happening at work for the last 6-8 months that enrage all sorts of people, including many of those I work with, and I am chill as a delicious frozen jello pudding and cool whip dessert. Nothing bothers me. Today is not that day. I am literally doing the deep breathing exercises. It gets really hard to deal with this type of thing when the local McDonald's is advertising salaries and benefits similar to your own, and you'd like to be a full-time nurse to your parents. However, today is not that day either. I will win at all the sh*t I do, periodt.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My husband is the kind of person who could give you advice on how to express your wrath in a professional situation in a pointed and polite manner that would destroy worlds. He has trained his kohai well because even he was impressed and shook on behalf of my enemies when I told him how I will respond to the various offenses against my person and showed him the emails. Lines have been crossed that must not be crossed; people have done turned this compliant, supportive worker bee into a giant hornet.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

A friend's wife just died out of nowhere and she is my age. Very pleasant acquaintance just died out of nowhere (Covid, which she had before and I'm pretty sure was vaccinated, but died anyway, maybe 8 years older than me?). Friend of similar age who lives in another state is going through transplant this weekend after cancer treatment. Friend who I think is a few years younger than me now has MS. Close relative struggling with covid, not in hospital, not sure yet how that's going to go. It just feels like things and people are crumbling and it's all going wrong. 😞
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My oldest child logged into discord on my phone but I didn't know what it was when I clicked on it. I just saw this long discussion of Death Note, so I read it, and I was like, who are these people discussing this? It went on and on it was very complicated and I was pretty sure one of the people was my oldest child, and I figured the other one was a friend. I was like, who is this friend who has such an unusual writing style and is saying all of these detailed things about the death note and has this whole universe of analysis worked out? Why does this person write in this totally idiosyncratic way?
It is familiar and hilarious.
Finally I realized she is talking to my youngest kid. Did not know he had this account. He's probably running some kind of Bitcoin mining operation and money laundering ring and I don't even know about it.
Mando

Post by Mando »

this is the wrong place to post this, but I was at the hospital crawling the walls in pain when I saw this last week.

The scream sounds authentic to me, but what do I know.

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Mando

Post by Mando »

my apologies for stomping all over your serious talk. I hope things are improving at work.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

We’re going back to distance learning next week, at least through mid-January.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

TL;DR ranting deleted. Leave mom alone this week please. She doesn't deserve whatever it is you are doing or saying.
Mando

Post by Mando »

our county is so poor when they did distance learning the students got nothing from it due to the lack of parent involvement due to work or no internet access, or apathy or all three. I know this because my daughter teaches and it is shocking how bad the papers are. She brings the papers home to grade them and frankly these 3rd graders write like they are first graders or worse. We need a better plan for us bumpkins during a prolonged crisis.

I fear for the future sometimes.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It's troubling indeed. I also get the sense the pandemic has deeply disrupted what feels normal or important to people, in a way it will take us a long time to unravel. It certainly makes me look back on historical events differently, knowing how unsettling and disruptive this experience has been even in a cushy situation with easy access to clean water, comfortable shelter, etc. The way people, both kids and adults, feel about education has changed, earthquake like.