This Happened

Kyle

Re: This Happened

Post by Kyle »

poorpete wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:40 pm Day one of what was to be our first non-staycation since 2019 and our daughter tested positive. Staycation 12 begins aka Sickcation 1. She's in good spirits. Possibly post symptoms as she had a fever the two days before. The rest of us just waiting to see if we caught it. Will we get to have a small masked vacation next weekend or get to all be sick but together?
As some who's had Covid twice, I can attest that its not fun. But at least, for me, there were no long shterm affixes. Tabledoo?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:40 pm Day one of what was to be our first non-staycation since 2019 and our daughter tested positive. Staycation 12 begins aka Sickcation 1. She's in good spirits. Possibly post symptoms as she had a fever the two days before. The rest of us just waiting to see if we caught it. Will we get to have a small masked vacation next weekend or get to all be sick but together?
Nooooo! Hopefully no one else will.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers has a more sophisticated and effective cybersecurity system for any user than the one at my workplace. That is all.
Mando

Post by Mando »

My wife and kids made it back from the Las Vegas BTS concert Sunday night! They flew out Friday night and had some very good seats from what I can tell of the pics and video my kids took.
I on the other hand kicked into full-on ADHD workaholic mode and went to bed at 5 AM each night and got up at 10 AM guilt-ridden for sleeping in. I cleaned, took care of cats dogs chickens, and bees. Did laundry and fixed a lot of stuff, opened up a wall and ran a cable, etc, watched a couple episodes of tv and tried to watch PIG. cooked a steak and had ice cream.

my brain is so weird
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

My sweet sweet nephew
https://gofund.me/841d7aac
Help if you can, but thoughts and prayers are also appreciated
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:56 pm My sweet sweet nephew
Oh my God, I am so sorry! We will be thinking of you and your family. Thank you for posting this.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I’m m so sorry. That is unbearably awful.
Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'm so sorry this happened! Thank you for posting this.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I want to thank you all for being decent people here because they are in too short of supply these days. Particularly those of you who are men, we are lacking in the decent man category these days. It's a great blessing to me that my father and grandparents were among the most decent of all men, and it seems to have given me a good model for picking a husband as well. Recently he has been doing things to demonstrate that he walks the walk when it comes to supporting women and marginalized people, and then he made a joke that nobody could make in public but that was the funniest joke I have heard in months about a difficult situation that has left me feeling very personally bothered. And sometimes having a freaking hilarious offensive joke about it is healing. That is all.
zen

Post by zen »

Sometimes I'm just floored by the persistence of companies that I haven't patronized in YEARS! For example, there is a restaurant chain in Chicago that was pretty much our go-to place back when my daughter was going to Loyola and we frequently were going to Broadway in Chicago shows. It is one of the few I've found that is always consistent in terms of quality handling of gluten-free issues across stores. They have standard procedures in place and all items are clearly marked for gluten content, with only one item in their "ingredient bar" that they put your order together from actually containing gluten. They even go so far as to not use the items NEXT to the ONE item in their ingredient bar that has gluten for people with allergies, just in case there happened to be spillage. I downloaded their app so I could pay using it at the counter, etc... I always considered it a shame that they didn't have any locations closer. But, since my daughter came home and started going to the local community college and we stopped going up to Chicago for shows thanks to COVID, we haven't been to one of their restaurants.

I just saw an email from them in my inbox today. They keep sending me messages with promotional information and such as if I were a regular customer, even though it has been at least two years since I set foot in one of their establishments...

Well, I suppose it isn't costing them much to send emails... probably would cost them more to trim the list.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Akiva wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:26 pm I’m m so sorry. That is unbearably awful.
Phoebe wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:16 pm
My sweet sweet nephew
Oh my God, I am so sorry! We will be thinking of you and your family. Thank you for posting this.
Tahlvin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:50 am I'm so sorry this happened! Thank you for posting this.
Thank you all. Love this community
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

🤍🤍 we have been thinking of you and your family.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I went to grad school at Loyola!
Reel on a repeating loop
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Making a whole lot of food for tonight’s Seder: 2 chickens, 2 loaves of bread, mashed potatoes, broccoli, peas . . . and probably some other things. Busy day.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

A belated Pesach Sameach to you and yours! A belated Happy Easter! Or a happy Normal Day of Spring! Whatever the case may be, we are needing nice spring days and some time to be with loved ones.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Phoebe wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:00 am A belated Pesach Sameach to you and yours! A belated Happy Easter! Or a happy Normal Day of Spring! Whatever the case may be, we are needing nice spring days and some time to be with loved ones.
Happy Easter to you!

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

"Thought leadership" is one of the creepiest workplace terms I've ever heard.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Akiva wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:49 am "Thought leadership" is one of the creepiest workplace terms I've ever heard.
LOL SO TRUE! Thought leaders! Like people need the help and some can reason. Wow.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Finally dawned on me that the reason I have been dealing with absolute dipshittery for 95 solid minutes on a trip that should have taken 25 at the max is that literally everybody is stoned. F these people. Stay home.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Today, A spider was climbing up the fingerboard while I was shifting down said fingerboard. There was no screaming and no one was harmed.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Thank you for not harming the helpful wildlife!
zen

Post by zen »

So... we just purchased a countertop dishwasher. I didn't even know these things existed, but they're kinda cute. They're like the top rack of a dishwasher that sits on your counter and attaches to the sink the same way as a portable dishwasher. We had a portable dishwasher back when we first bought our first house but eventually converted it to a built-in one at the expense of some cabinet space. This one won't be able to be converted and it takes up counter space, but it's not counter space that we use for food prep. We switched the dish drainer (for hand-washed dishes) to the other side of the sink and put the dishwasher where it was. It covers pretty much that entire side of the counter. That corner wasn't really useful, since it's between the stove and the sink and doesn't have a large area to work in any way... not that there's much usable counter space in the kitchen at all!

Anyway... it will be nice to not need to hand wash all of the dishes... he says as if he was the one hand washing the dishes and not his son who doesn't have chronic pain issues involving the joints in his arms, unlike the rest of the people who live in the house...
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Sounds good! I used to be a crusader against the wasted energies of mechanical dishwashing, until about 2003. Hmmm. Coincidentally, this is when I began having to do dishes for more people more often and moved into a home with a Dishwasher.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Phoebe wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:44 am Coincidentally, this is when I began having to do dishes for more people more often and moved into a home with a Dishwasher.
How rude! He's your husband! He has a name, for gods' sake!
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

LoLLLllllllL it's even funnier when you consider the relative distribution of that task.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'm glad I quit Twitter awhile ago, so I don't have to worry about how Elon Musk is going to mess it up.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Our daughter's "therapy" cat has been staying with us, since her and her boyfriend are temporarily living in his parents' guest bedroom and his dad won't allow cats in the house. He (the cat) stopped eating over the weekend, so my wife called the vet on Monday to try to get him in. Our regular vet had no appointments available, so he had to go to an emergency vet hospital. So now, after several days there, and lots of testing, it sounds like he has benign pancreatic fluid cysts. They're hoping they can drain them and he'll be back to normal soon. But at this point, we're up to $5,000 in vet bills and climbing. Oof.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am not doing well. I need to go back to the doctor but I'm too busy and not feeling well to go to the doctor. Paradox. The problems definitely stem from being a woman of this age but also God only knows what is wrong in there. I am totally exhausted and incapable of dealing with it. I've spent most of the day in bed today and can barely even get up and drive when it's necessary. Looking into a body transplant but I'm not sure how you do that.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Damn that's rough. Sorry to hear it.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Thank you, it just continues on, all I know is that the usual solution isn't working. Desperate, at 2am googling to see if specific diet can help: 1. No. Not at all. 2. Yes, you will need to fully cut out dairy, caffeine, alcohol, fats, meats, fish, legumes, and certain veggies; please adopt the diet of a fruit bat, while popping vitamins, and you might experience mild relief. Okay, that's encouraging.
The other thing I love about googling for medical information is when it lets you know simultaneously both that what you are experiencing is extremely common and many other women have gone through your horror story, and also that it is a complete horror story that would send any normal person screaming into the night or to the nearest ER. Lol. We learn to put up with some s***.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Sick. Felt absolutely terrible yesterday. A bit better today.
Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

We have pulled down a basketball goal and post that was put in our backyard by the previous owner decades ago. We used a jackhammer to knock away about 4-6 inches of concrete, got it loose enough that we put a tow strap around it and use our SUV to pull it down, and there's still a good 2 feet or so of concrete around the bottom of the now-uprooted post that we'll need to break off before we can move the darn thing out of the yard and fill in the hole that was left. But at least the pole is now horizontal instead of vertical. And damn, the previous owner sure believed in overkill, putting about 2.5 feet of concrete to hold the darn thing in place!
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

I ordered coffee from a robot batista. The uncanny valley is real. The coffee was okay, though.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

We're a uniform school. Today the students are allowed to dress out of uniform if they wear something related to their culture (we have an incredibly diverse group of students). Some of the clothing is just really cool.
Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Eliahad wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:23 am I ordered coffee from a robot batista. The uncanny valley is real. The coffee was okay, though.
Wow, what does a robot batista look like?
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Eliahad wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:23 am I ordered coffee from a robot batista. The uncanny valley is real. The coffee was okay, though.

Had our very last high school band concert ever last night. After 11 years and 3 kids, (and 3 years before that for middle school band), my wife and I no longer need to attend school band concerts for our kids. It was also the first concert our high school had in over 1,090 days, due to the pandemic. For the seniors in band, like our son, that means the last concert was autumn of their freshman year.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Tahlvin wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:31 am
I love David Zayas.
Reel on a repeating loop
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

It was this service:

https://cafexapp.com/
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I saw a man sunning his testicles today (in shorts, thankfully, I saw nothing of the testicle). This shit is out of hand. Everyone has gone crazy. The violent shooters, the guys driving like maniacs in trucks with bastardized versions of the flag, the psychos all over my area who fly their weird flags, and now the ball tanners. Get this whole group away from me please.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:09 pm I saw a man sunning his testicles
I see this as a beautiful natural.....selection process...they will get a melanoma of the nethers and in-turn get themselves neutered for being dumb. If only we could get them to smoke too. or maybe Make chainsaw juggling great again

sotty, that was just me being mean...been watching a lot of House lately.

carry on.
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Visited the mall with the kids on Sunday, they loved it, first time in maybe four years. The joy is tempered a bit, like by what a stealer covid was/is, how weird cathedrals to capitalism are, and today learning that the Buffalo terrorist had considered the mall as a potential target. Just scary to think about.

Speaking of

https://www.gofundme.com/f/buffalo-survivors-fund
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

How much more heartbreak?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It's nauseating. Nobody even tries because it's so pointless. Not even the slightest reform will happen. This culture is so diseased at this point.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

After three doctor visits and countless phone calls I'm not able to get a harmless pill that makes it possible for me to leave the house, but I can walk into a store today and walk out with a gun and ammo and take it openly into the same store where I'm trying to get my prescription filled.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Phoebe wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:57 am After three doctor visits and countless phone calls I'm not able to get a harmless pill that makes it possible for me to leave the house, but I can walk into a store today and walk out with a gun and ammo and take it openly into the same store where I'm trying to get my prescription filled.
That's seriously messed up.

Although you could use the gun to fix your other problem, right? :x
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It is messed up indeed. To give you a sense, when I called (for the fourth time) at 4:30 because I had been waiting all day and still no prescription (and I'm out of pills), I told the nurse it was somewhat urgent from my perspective and I had been waiting for a week and had called several times... she asks me, "is it for a narcotic? Is that why you're having trouble?" Reader, it is for ten (10) low-dose hormone pills to prevent, you know, massive hemorrhaging that the same doctor's office suggests I should visit the ER for next time. So they're fine with this yet cannot give me the pills.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Reflecting on work: this is the best I can do. And that’s fucking pathetic.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Bad day. Some good things happened; trying to laser focus on those. About half the time my life experience is like a merry go round where I'm feeling sick and stressed because I want to get off, and my job is to stay on and keep a bunch of other stuff secure on this thing. But the wheel is spinning too fast so shit keeps flying off from time to time. I can't stop it from happening. I ask people to help slow down the wheel, but that has no effect. Every once in awhile I might get a helpful response but just as often I will get a really nasty hostile response which blames the whole thing on me and pretends that the reality is just something radically different than it really is. This makes it hard to move forward and solve things, but more importantly it makes it impossible to ask for help when you need it. S*** just keeps spinning around and around and it's overwhelming - nothing you can do. You just have to pick yourself up and keep going forward.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Sounds like a really bad day.
Reel on a repeating loop