The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

poorpete

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by poorpete »

I feel

Honestly Nevermind was drake saying "I love house music!"
Her Loss was him appending "no homo"

Though I think I'm being too hard on him there, Her Loss was probably not a reaction to his previous album not being as huge as his others.

Though will say Drake seems really mad at Taylor Swift for keeping him out of the #1 spot on the Hot 100. Imagine getting 8 songs on the top 10, and being angry it wasn't good enough. Dunno if that's him or human nature.

I've turned on Her Loss 5 times so far and haven't been able to get all the way through it. May have to sit with it outside passive listening and read the lyrics -- often helps with the rap stuff
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It's okay but I don't find it very interesting. I don't think you're being too harsh on him. I like him more than I should or than many others do and I can't understand how he remains such a money-making machine. He also committed the unforgivable sin of insulting our girl Megan. I don't know if that was the intent, but he always could have said it wasn't meant as an insult if it wasn't.
If he wants to fight Megan I will fight him with my own two hands! Nobody is allowed to do that.
Speaking of which I would like to fight her record label in the ring as well. Apparently they're not doing much to promote her album even though it's awesome! Maybe that's why it's not nominated for the Grammys it should have been or that we don't see her her her she she she my favorite song being nominated! What could a *** say? Nothing.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Just reporting the radio has started playing Cuff it regularly as a new Beyonce single and it's great to hear in that way. Hearing it on the radio in the midst of other poppy songs also makes the contrast starker: Beyonce is doing things a couple light years beyond the others and it's great. I can't tell you what pleasure it gives me to hear two notes of stupid Nicki Minaj nonsense or that other wretched music, ugh, what is it? Sam Smith! Hate that new song... and then click over and land on Cuff it instead! Delight!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

party people roll up! Agreed, hearing it on the radio is so exciting. Does have that joy I'd feed hearing Lizzo bring the positivity and disco funk and awesome vocals. I don't hate Unholy, but agree much prefer this.
Mando

Post by Mando »

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Going back into random enjoyables:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Here we go

https://www.billboard.com/charts/year-e ... ium=social

I think I'm going to countdown in a separate thread, though maybe I should leave that up to Talhvin. Surprisingly there are I think 5 or 6 songs I'm unfamiliar with.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oooh, I am unfamiliar with most of it!
My vote: Karol G!
Lizzo!
Beyonce!
Bad Bunny! Kind of amazing how many songs he has on the list.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

And Harry styles! I did not expect to like Harry styles but I do - he has an appealing personality and his voice is very soothing and pleasant.
Oh and little Nas x, there's no way we can spell that right on voice to text. Those two guys have both made the pop music radio more pleasant and bearable this year.
Sometimes I feel that way about doja cat but she just irritates me, the scratchiness of that voice. I want to like her but I can't do it. She needs a different producer and better advice about how to sing and then we'd be fine.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Karol G, Beyonce, Bad Bunny, Lizzo, and Harry Styles all over my year end recap from youtube music:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That sounds like the playlist I want. I am such a hip happening gal, down with the kids and whatnot. My report from gen z is that God only knows what these kids are listening to, but if Gen x was known for having eclectic musical taste as a group, they are going to make all of us hold our beer.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Urgent Music Alert:

Amazing! Totally worth going down the rabbit hole with the artist Yun Hyong-Keun apparently referred to here with the opening quote. I'm so happy this exists.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

New SZA out!

I'm still getting over the flu, so ain't able to listen to this on full blast or sway to the beat, but pretty cool first listen -- again very happy that many current pop stars feel unconstrained and versatile. Like check out this sweet (or bittersweet) PG love song, that seems purposely placed the track prior to the scathing vulgar take-down "i hate you"...

There's another one "F2F" I think y'all might like, that is a throwback to the 1990s, like ALL genres of the 1990s

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Very cool, a different style from what I woul have expected!

RMs album is good... I am liking the collabs. Here's another one with Paak:
Mando

Post by Mando »

My Spotify "2022 Wrapped" is a real mess. I play the same few tracks as part of my "Sleepytime playlist" and so I have a very distorted list of what I actually listen to versus what I fall asleep to.

I got artist messages from Steam Powered Giraffe and Tomorrow + Together.

My top 5:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I remember last summer when these two albums came out, Pete was like, which one? and I reported listening to Lizzo and not as much the Beyonce album. Hindsight has taught us - and no offense to Lizzo here because I think she would even agree, and her album is a beautiful, amazing artwork - I was not ready/worthy of the Beyonce album yet. I did not understand the layers, the depth, the spirit. Lately I have been listening to it and noticing how much it channels Parliament/Funkadelic. Maybe I'm wrong, but occasionally a combo of horns, rhythms, and repetition arises that sounds unmistakably George Clinton and I LOVE IT. Somehow it echoes through. I was browsing this page, where a person came up with very amusing AI art album covers (https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Mina__Mo ... s-welcome/) - the only one of these I hate is the Prince cover, obviously, but others are so good! It added a 5th member for Kiss, lol! The Beach Boys cover is maybe the only Beach Boys album I'd be curious to listen to. The Michael Jackson should be used for a retrospective. Anyway, I tried to do the same for my hypothetical P-Funk album and I cannot even explain to you how hideous and unpleasant the resulting images were. No words. They will not be shown! Now I'm scared to try anything else. However, the music is somehow exactly the music for this post-solstice, winter-weather, pre-Christmas environment:

I hope Snoop Dogg sends them regular checks, come on, and an apology for insulting the good. Anyway, this was never on my MTV. Lives could have been changed for the better, maybe all of society, if they had played things like this regularly.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Took me a while to whittle and sequence but I think I'm set or very close.

PETE'S MIX: 30 WOMEN-LED SONGS FROM THE 1940S

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ooooh very exciting! I expect some good finds in this one, starting here! Still marveling over the Beyonce-P-Funk link, nothing new happening. But really, listen to like the last minute of Cuff It and pretend it's George Clinton. Same thing except, well, it's Beyonce. Or like, Alien Superstar? Giving us that little spoken intro like multiple P-Funk tracks? I feel like it features prominently in her playlist, anyway, and that makes me happier.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I've fallen off my top 5 top 40 hot 100 thing but last week this would have been #1

and if it sounds familiar it's because it exudes...

One of the biggest R&B stars inspired by a classic grunge ballad? yes please!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Rolling Stone needed to let you write up its list of the best singers because they were not up to the task. I think the goal was deliberate idiocy so they'd get other media to cover their list, and even I am here to gripe and advertise it. So no link, no, we will just shame the dipshits responsible:

CONTRIBUTORS: Jonathan Bernstein, David Browne, David Cantwell, Mankaprr Conteh, Jon Dolan, Brenna Ehrlich, Michael Goldwasser, Andy Greene, Joe Gross, Kory Grow, Will Hermes, Maura Johnston, Michelle Hyun Kim, Kristine Kwak, Ernesto Lechner, Julyssa Lopez, Angie Martoccio, Michaelangelo Matos, Tomás Mier, Jason Newman, Mosi Reeves, Noah Shachtman, Rob Sheffield, Hank Shteamer, Brittany Spanos, Lisa Tozzi, Simon Vozick-Levinson
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Hahaha I like the list! Aretha at 1, good diversity, and a small but meaningful amount of pre-Boomer artists like Ruth Brown, Ella, Louis, Hank, and Billie
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I'm too scared to look into which Billie they rated higher. It's also kind of them to let us know that musical genius or performance genius or something was more important to them than actual singing. It wasn't hard to guess, people!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

In 2010 they ranked Dylan #7 so #15 this time is bit closer to the truth but still, rather him be in the 40s. Dylan has always been a A-class songwriter, B-class singer (especially if you average in his total work), but B is still pretty good. He has a memorable voice and (most of the time) knows how to use it.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:53 am In 2010 they ranked Dylan #7 so #15 this time is bit closer to the truth but still, rather him be in the 40s. Dylan has always been a A-class songwriter, B-class singer (especially if you average in his total work), but B is still pretty good. He has a memorable voice and (most of the time) knows how to use it.
Ya, when someone is iconic and knows how to use their distinctive voice, that counts for me as good singing. So I'm not super fussy but putting him after Freddy Mercury and before Prince was wack. So many weird choices in ranking. Obviously came to awareness of these various travesties via the reported omission of Celine Dion. It was far from the only crime but a serious crime it was. Celine, honestly, of all these people. Maybe they were like, it's a list of human singers, not angel singers, so she has her own list! What else could explain it?

I was so sick of the overplaying of this song when it had its radio play but COME ON HOLY MOSES listen to those pipes! Goosebumps! You can't get through it without massive goosebumps! Sadly I do not find the ladies attractive that way but I would marry her regardless, a chaste but doubtless happy life. She has a terrible illness very similar to one in my family past and I cry about it, honestly. I'm not even, like, a major Celine Dion fan but it's the saddest thing and to have seen how it works, it's too much. Why. Why the world with things like this happening.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

No matter how much better Rolling Stone is at giving props to women singers and to artist beyond those loved by boomers (good for them!!) there's still a bunch of bias, mainly in attitude.

My feeling is that they didn't give love to Celine because the thought is that she has little attitude, it just a beautiful singer, uninterested in shade (at least that's what these voters probably think. Could be wrong). I also like attitude, but I also like songs that are pretty. Let songs be pretty! Pretty songs are great!

but I think this is the #1 reason Jo Stafford isn't on this list, nor on many people's tongues in our boomer-led music world. But she was a fantastic singer, adored by her contemporaries, was Billie Holiday's favorite singer, Ray Charles was a big fan of hers. She deserves a cultural re-appraisal.

The singer most similar to her on the list is Frank, but he's on there because of the one key difference: attitude. That said, Jo had a silly and fun side, with two successful comedic alter-egos...

Here's her as "Cinderella G. Stump" making a country novelty so perfect that it loses it's novelty and is simply a great country song

And here's her in the late 70s with her bad-lounge-act character "Darlene Edwards", you got to be really good to sing so bad so good...
Last edited by poorpete on Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ohhh this is terrific! Very exciting to encounter or rediscover these people.

I used to feel that way about Celine Dion, that she had a lovely voice but I wasn't interested in the kind of pop songs she was singing. Then my mom, who was a fan of hers for a long time and watched whenever she was interviewed on TV, talk shows, etc. clued me into the fact that she has the biggest and most hilarious personality ever. I don't know if everyone finds her so amusing but I think she is freaking hilarious at every moment! People think she is overacting but she just has more energy and excitement than the average five people put together. Even when she's sad or pensive or whatever the mood may be, you get it at 2000. She just has a very interesting mind.

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My kid is having a serious Adele phase and he was not born a singer, friends. He has many great qualities so I don't feel like I'm doing him wrong by admitting frankly that this child was not born to sing. And yet he's very excited about singing Adele songs. Put that together in your mind. Luckily he likes Lizzo about as much as Adele. I looked into how much it costs to go see a Lizzo concert, thinking that since he's still young enough to be willing to go with his mom, this could be his first concert. It would cost about a hundred bucks per person, so not only is it a non-starter for me to want to take him and a friend, I don't even want to go alone! For a hundred bucks I will buy the album and enjoy a nice dinner out, or better yet I'll just lay on the sofa for free and have the kid sing along with a track:

LOL he just appeared unexpectedly and punctuated each line afterward with "yeah bae"! No words! It was the best.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am so excited even though it is a terrible Monday morning of exactly the wrong kind of Monday you don't want to have:
A couple years ago I heard a song that was like a contemporary remix of this in some way. The melody and some other parts of this song were, what do they call that nowadays? Interpolated?. Reinterpreted? They appeared recognizably in this other song.
I struggled struggled struggled struggled to come up with the name of the song and I could not think of it! I was able to get myself backward to the oh-we-oh March of the goblins from The wizard of Oz, from another song at the same time, but I could not get this one.
Finally today they played on the radio and there it is! Grew up listening to this on the '70s radio with Mom and love it.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Went through the Billlboard Year End Top 100 for 2022 and made sure I listened to them and had an opinion about them all. This remix won't be on the list (but the original will be, well not the original but the song that references, so wait, yes, no, what? nevermind, you'll see)

Now I should get back into the top 40, I see songs there I've not heard!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

URGENT

ATTENTION

This will be the most important thing you listen to today:

Your life will change for the better now and you will be cured of whatever ails you.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The Mountain Goats have a terrible cover of this song, which is really the most:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

What a one two punch those two songs.

I once tried the mouth harp, never could get it to work.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:11 am I once tried the mouth harp, never could get it to work.
If you've tried it you're already winning. The question is, can you do the Mongolian throat singing? I feel like if we can yodel, then we can learn this, no?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I would have been excited about new Shakira music regardless, but the fact that it's a diss track to her s***** ex-husband makes it even better. Agree that he is totally out of her league and glad to adopt this invitation to blame him for her tax evasion charges, as if I know the slightest thing about whether she's guilty of tax evasion or not:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I've been enjoying the Shakira song, although the first day of release I saw a music video of the song with Shakira stabbing a doll repeatedly in the groin in a voodoo kind of way. But haven't seen it since so confused on if that was not Shakira, a parody video, a different video, or the original video that was re-edited. I am confused!

I do like how a news article on her and her ex-husband Pique, I don't know who, noted a key line that gets lost in translation

"Yo solo hago música, perdón que te salpique"
"I only make music, sorry if it splashes you"

salpique = splash
Sal, Pique = get out, Pique!

chef's kiss
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I'm so freaking annoyed because this song finally broke down my subconscious's carefully constructed barriers against it and I let it play repeatedly on the radio and I sing along with the horrible singing - ugh, horrors.

But he has all these great songs! I didn't really realize. Like listen to his voice here - he pops around effortlessly and when he wants to sing a pure high note he can, and when he makes his voice sound gravelly he seems to be doing it fully on purpose. I just want the yodeling to stop. Why doesn't he have any friends who can tell him the truth about the yodeling? A little goes a long way. It's like Christina Aguilera. Just give us a few notes. Otherwise it's too many notes, like the king says in Amadeus. Too many notes. Too much yodeling. But listen to this beautiful pure voice:

Then every once in awhile they play this one on the radio and I remember how much I like it, and it's him! Look how cute he is! Except why the face buddy, why the face tattoos? The man genuinely has a nice face. Maybe that's actually why he tattooed it, to make it look rougher or less cute or something? Maybe the cute face wasn't really working for his image. Anyway I like this song even better now that I actually have some good "irl" friends again.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Did someone hack Phoebe or is this an April Fools joke :-)

Just kidding, I have yet to come to accept Post Malone, but maybe someday. I'll give him: he/his team writes good hooks. Still not a fan of the vibrato.

Listening to Renaissance and the transitions are still so exciting.
Cuff It -> Energy -> Break My Soul the way Energy is able to go from one top 10 hit is incredible in hindsight
Plastic Off the Sofa -> Virgo's Groove is still my jam
what a titanic album
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I'm going to say that I was hacked and that you should not accept any friend requests. Why does that message always appear on Facebook? Like is that itself the hacked message, or do people just say the exact same thing when they believe themselves to have been hacked? It's not the friend request I'm worried about, since we're already friends and it would puzzle me to get such a request. If you were hacked wouldn't the issue be the big files you want me to download from messages that I might have downloaded? I don't even know what's going on there. Someone must have hacked me here because this morning I can't see all this good in Post Malone. What the heck.

I do see the good in this guy, however! Has this appeared yet? Is this going to be on the top 100? It has a fair bit of airplay here and I had never heard of it before it appeared on my radio. Absolutely love the sweet little song and the guy has a great voice I would like to hear again:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

October 21st! Glad you like it!
poorpete wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:48 am And surprise surprise it's different than the rest so I like it! It's a singer-songwriter whose production style is a throwback to the late 50s early 60s sound. The echo reminds me of The Flamingos' "I Only Have Eyes for You" but otherwise has a big Roy Orbinson "Only the Lonely" feel. Yes please!

I like it but haven't checked out his other stuff, and whether that stuff stays within its nostalgic sound or not.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Maybe this is where I first encountered it, lol! And then I heard it on the radio and liked it? I don't know man, I'm losing it.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

No worries -- I haven't heard all the embeds here though I read all the comments.

This one has recently entered the Top 40 and is a bit hit globally. I like its epic scope. Kinda satisfies the people who love this kind of lifestyle and those squares like me who don't, because it sure doesn't look appealing. An ode to bad parties to be played at bad parties.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Reminder to post the 50 years of hip hop medley when it shows up on YouTube. It was frickin insane and amazing.

They haven't given out the big awards but Beyonce did win an early one for Plastic Off the Sofa, so my tastes have been vindicated.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The "academy voters" weren't really worthy of Beyonce - as soon as she showed up late and they started hyping her "records broken", it was pretty clear she wasn't going to win all those major categories. They need to keep listening to Renaissance until the light dawns. Bonnie Raitt was a pleasant surprise though!

The 50 yrs hip hop and public enemy performing live, however briefly, was also a huge surprise! The live songs were really good this year, I was very glad to have seen them. Stevie Wonder? He was great! He saved that poor guitarist man too, thankfully. Bad Bunny is very fun to watch. I don't know if I'm having a hormonal issue but they also showed us a snippet of Jack Harlow dancing and, well, I get why they sell him to us, I do. I would buy that for a dollar. Of course, sang along to Lizzo with the kid, actually shed a tear when she won because we so love her. Did not view the whole satanic ritual with the kid, who was sent off to bed, but I will admit both those Unholy singers can sing. The one that shocked me honestly was Steve Lacy. Where has this guy been hiding?! He just did the whole thing and fearlessly. I was impressed. the song was even better live and he has actual talent! That wasn't a product of the studio, he can jump up and deliver an even better version.

But the hip hop medley thing was the best, that was unexpected. It made me sad for the fact that Public Enemy was always the best and never given their due. But there they were, anyway!
Mando

Post by Mando »

poorpete wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:57 pm Reminder to post the 50 years of hip hop medley when it shows up on YouTube. It was frickin insane and amazing.

They haven't given out the big awards but Beyonce did win an early one for Plastic Off the Sofa, so my tastes have been vindicated.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Wooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

If ya got Paramount Plus and want it in full audio quality it starts at 1:47:25

So many favorite parts, Queen Latifah (hasn't lost a step!!), LL, Salt N Pepa, Rakim (I've been listening to a lot of him lately!), Busta (brilliant, wouldn't be surprised if he made a bunch of new young fans), De La, and more, but I have noted here at least once how obsessed I became with "Lose Control", YouTube kept suggesting it and I kept clicking it, so when Missy came out with it, it blew me away. Was that Doja Cat singing along??? Thanks Questlove!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Was indeed Doja
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I didn't see much of her during the show, which was odd because she so completely dominated radio during the last year. On many occasions you would flip through and find different songs of hers on three different channels at once. It was wild. But last year she beat BTS out of the award they clearly deserved over the rest of the field, so... Whatev. I do think it's cool that she keeps being nominated for collaborations though. She works well with such a wide variety of artists.