The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Phoebe

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by Phoebe »

I think our radio here is a few months behind the times. I don't hear any of these except Sunroof which is a constant. My kid, like all the gradeschoolers we know BTW, is now obsessed with both Kate Bush and Metallica due to the presence on the latest Stranger Things soundtrack. I have not kept up with the show but it is a delight to share some of the oldies and goodies with the youths. I remember the days of being young and enjoying Metallica but also feeling (part of the enjoyment, probably) a little bit snootier and above it - like, yes, we enjoy Metallica the way we enjoy a Big Mac but then there is filet mignon and other music. Nowadays in comparison, from this far forward, it's like a sweet breath of spring air, birdsong, butterflies, everything good:

My kid decided to be a percussionist in school band with hopes of doing this in marching band down the road, and really, this is a moment to have in the car with your little son, you know? I recommend it. He is so shocked - Mom is like a massive onion with these layers. He has not decided I know nothing yet! When he was a baby as an experiment I listened to jazz all day around him and it has had effects, unexpected effects.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I am rolling through this like a pig in poo, it's just so satisfying. I have a terrible migraine from stress and normally would want soft silence in the pillow, but somehow the regularity and pleasantness of all this music blasts away the headache! Love it. Apparently Dave Mustaine wrote this, in essence, and that's fine, but it annoys me that Kirk Hammett doesn't get writing credit just for this solo which is astounding and, as far as I know, his own development from the initial version. Probably one could check this but why... We have a perfection here already:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

poorpete wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:25 pm Here's how Sunroof charted on the Hot 100 since its debut:

Meanwhile just like the pop bubblegum staying power of "Sunroof" I'm more and more impressed at "Bad Habit" -- its "Sweet Jane" guitar riff, it's harmonious breakdown, that 10 seconds of just singing, then bringing in the ukes and beatboxing. This song was made for me to enjoy and put on a yearly mix, only its popularity (and a couple clunky lines) hesitates me.

and here's Sweet Jane thrown in for good measure :-)

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mostly listening to a lot of Metallica lately but also dipping back for things like this:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Dagh, spent time trying to find something shared on Twitter a week ago with no luck. It was a video of a child tumbling down a metal slide mixed as the loud shooting drums in Clipse's Grindin' -- searches came up nothing
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Under appreciated band. And you've got a love a punk song about Charlie Wilson.

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I refuse to link to this damn Get Into It song by Doja Cat because there are times it will be on three different radio stations at once and you cannot escape it, and her gritty voice is nails on a chalkboard to me - I can't take it! That said, I happened to see the video for it and from what I can tell she's on some type of Star Trek ship chasing down a space dude who stole her cat and she's going to take the cat back. There is a very futuristic Star Trek vibe, but also kind of like if the main area on the octonauts sub was manned by strippers? Something like that. It was surprisingly appealing, even for me, because who wouldn't respond like that if someone took your cat?
Anyway, her voice still annoys me but I'm starting to appreciate her sense of humor.

A mind blowing development that also arose from seeing a video: the little spoken word part in Sticky, when some guy says they weren't supposed to come up with something this clean? I assumed that was the voice of some musician kid who works for Drake, you know? Like somebody who worked up this beat for him was telling him this? I love that moment in the song in part because the voice of this guy is so cute. I was like, well, who knows whether Drake is a big jerk but at least this guy is adorable.
Then in the video it turns out maybe that is Drake's own voice?
I don't know what to do with that information. It is embarrassing to like Drake, honestly, and I don't even have the excuse that I think he's good looking. So don't ask me but I absolutely love the new album and the man has a gift.

At least my feelings of revulsion are properly directed at the target of that wretched new song by Nicki Minaj. Maybe hatred is wrong wherever it manifests but I tell you that I hate that song, and my opinion of her talent was already extremely low but somehow it managed to get a lot lower because she put out that nonsense. Like if you are going to improve on super freak or can't touch this, this was not the way to do it. The song is also just stupidly offensive. I'm embarrassed on behalf of women. She needs help. And even if we flip the whole thing over and try to come at it from the other side, as it were, in what way in 2022 is a person specially qualified as a freak on the grounds that they are capable of keeping the male appendage inserted into (a very standard, typical part of) their body? Does this require a special effort? Is that a skill? If I could boot her and all of her musical products straight into space I would probably do it.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Shakira has this new interview where she discusses her breakup and her tax scandal and so forth. I don't know why it shocks me that Shakira is being investigated for her taxes. How could you do this to us, Shakira? Well, not technically "us" but someone?
I discovered that I prefer the Spanish version of the song, still great!

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Now I'm lonely
And they're ringing wedding bells
I blame you for the darkness
I blame you for the hell

Reel on a repeating loop
Mando

Post by Mando »

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Mando

Post by Mando »

One of my favorite pieces constructed by "POGO"...the perfect selection for Hobbit Day

Mando

Post by Mando »

watch this in full screen for the full effect....so peaceful
Mike

Post by Mike »

I saw The Struts in concert last week. As I have been telling everyone: it was cold and it was raining, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Good music. Good show. They're a British rock band, and you can definitely hear Queen in their work. They have a very classic sound.

Their music is awesome, but was listening to it on Spotify, never watched their videos. But just the sound of them, I've always thought they'd be amazing live. I was not wrong.

Luke Spiller is the lead singer, and his energy is incredible. Spiller and the crowd have a sort of symbiotic energy consisting of pure joy at being able to perform. He's really amazing.

Warning: the following video has a bit of nudity in the opening, but even just look at the cover photo...

The minute he hit the stage, my wife said, "Wow, he looks so much like Tim Curry." And we saw a performance that had a touch of Jagger here, a little Freddie there, all wrapped up in this Frank'N'Furter's-Lovechild package. Can't recommend this band enough.

Here's another taste...

But I love most of what they do.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Mike

Post by Mike »

I also saw Salt-N-Pepa live a few years ago. They were part of a whole "I Love the 90s" hip-hop/R&B tour. Color Me Badd, Coolio, Vanilla Ice, Tone Loc, Young MC, Biz Markie, buncha others. Many of them were clearly going through the motions or else taking themselves way too seriously. Salt-N-Pepa though (and Spinderella) we're awesome. Having fun, working the crowd, mixing it up with jokes and bits of other people's songs for dun. They know who they are and met the audience on their own level. They were my favorite part of the show. You know who else was like that? Color Me Badd. Just three middle-age fat guys in Hawaiian shirts playing their old hits and looking like they were enjoying themselves. Made me wish I knew more than one of their songs.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I don't know what to say, I continue to find it hilarious that my favorite rapper of the moment/season/year is known as MONEYBAGG YO. I refer to him as Mr. Bagg but that's part of his first name so maybe that's not right? He hasn't advised on it. The voice - the speaking voice, the rapping style, it's BEAUTIFUL. He was born with a golden voice, I don't know what else to say. These artists really cannot select their own fan club, can they? I don't know if he would be horrified or amused to discover this is who listens to his music and is a big fan. Surely this cannot be good for the brand? I'm sorry, I can't help it! I am a follower of Beauty and Truth - I have to go wherever it leads.

Yet it's not only his lovely vocal sound - I am not a gangster or drug dealer from Memphis, nor does my life even overlap with that life more than about 0.00017 percent (probably in the Food area), but I RELATE TO ALL OF IT, INEXPLICABLY. Psychologically there is some wavelength of connection, some common thread of experience, such that when he says whatever he says, it is simply a different language for presenting the same thing I am thinking, living, etc. This whole chorus - like, this is my life philosophy, repackaged and presented back in a very different yet still accurate form? I totally disagree with many of his comments on life, particularly his observations about sex, which are mostly wrong. I am not into the tattoos but this is a good looking man:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Good for Mr. Moneybags, yo. He is always in the low numbers in the Hot 100 so I don't get to hear much from him, he needs a bit bigger hit so he can get on my playlist.

I've always been interested in charts -- I used to fall asleep reading the World Almanac -- so it makes sense that I'm finally deep into the Hot 100 chart stats and started following a bunch of chart-watchers on Twitter. Hey did you know that Twitter is bad? So there'll be a post like "Steve Lacy is the first male artist to have his debut Hot 100 hit to reach #1 in this decade" which... isn't that impressive as the decade isn't long yet, but nonetheless an interesting stat, the responses are just the worst of the worst, people who treat their music idols as sports teams or nearly Gods. Like one will response will be "Nikki's better" then a different response will be "Took down Nikki" because he's #1 and Nikki's like #6. And there will be about 10 posts says "Who cares" and another 10 saying "Worst Hot 100 ever" and another 10 saying "Nikki going #1" and responses to that going like "PAYOLA" and it's just alllllllllll junk.

All junk. Nothing useful here. I imagine football stats posts are similarly awful.

Anyways, much like those comments, this complaint gets in the way of the music.

The new Sam Smith/Kim Petras "Unholy" song debuted huge into the top 3. Most high debuts tend to fall precipitously after the first week -- superfans are done buying the track and those keeping-up-with new releases will move on to the newer releases, but I think chances are this song will stay around for a while. Has that Imagine Dragons "Enemy" feel, and just a tad naughty but not too naughty for radio

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ah, I tried it but cannot. Loud on the ears, you know? A sonic biting fly! On the other hand it could be that I'm down in this place with Lizzo at the moment. I wish you luck on Twitter - I'm not psychologically constituted to engage in such acts. Twitter, reddit, none of that. The only thing I could possibly do in such a place is instantly provoke mass hatred, and I'm not sure that's something to be ashamed of. They're best for scientific experiment, which is in a way what you're doing so hopefully that works!
Once for fun I made a social media account that dispensed only by-the-book Kantian deontological ethical advice. I would say it was received profoundly negatively by 99% of its audience, given that most people are lazy relativist partial-utilitarians. My God they hated the Kantian perspective with unbridled passion, yet interestingly, I received lots of fan mail from the actual people suffering the moral dilemmas. Turns out Kant is useful.
Also turns out Kant leads to psychotic death threats, no joke! People hate the Kantian moral advice so much that they are willing to track you down and threaten to kill you. There's a limit to how concerned I can be about that because I'm probably a lot more dangerous to the average person who would make such a threat than they are to me, if push comes to shove, but I took it seriously because these b****** on the internet are totally f****** crazy. Someone who has more time than I do should write a book about this, perhaps after duplicating the experiment, but it won't be me because the older I get the less I want to have to deal with crazy people making death threats. Note: this is also why I would publish an actual book about feminism posthumously but certainly not while I'm loose on this Earth!

That said, let's have a happy song which is what's been going through my mind today. Maybe it's because of all the a-holes who didn't like that she touched the precious crystal flute of James Madison, but you definitely see a lot of hatred expressed towards Lizzo. Really? Yes. Lizzo who is like a fairy of joy and self-acceptance, who does no harm, and just wants to sell a little bit of lingerie on the side. Yet they really hate her, maybe even more than they hate Kantian moral advice - after all, you can't see that advice and become enraged by its very presence in the world the way Lizzo's existence seems to enrage evil people. I really think if Jesus walked among us he would not make it 6 months. Anyway, y'all are special! It takes a person who has suffered from all this b******* to really understand that you are special, so you can believe that she knows and you know that you are!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Songs in the Top 40 I haven't talked about (surprisingly few)

Star Walkin' by Lil Nas X
- good work here, grows on me a bit at a time, but for all I like, the line about his mom and dad having sex is equally cringy on repeat listens.

Tomorrow 2 by GloRilla and Cardi B
- respect for good flow, but the lyrics and production (trap beats and a casio keyboard?) kinda give me a shrug, would like to like it more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh6cynq ... ture=share

I'm Good (Blue) by David Guetta and Bebe Rexha
- now is this better than the 90s dance novelty Blue, yes. But the song annoyed me then, and the sample of it can't help but annoy me now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDCV6wd ... ture=share

Betty (Get Money) by Yung Gravy
- this is just on the edge of me liking and disliking. When I think of it as tounge-in-cheek fun, I like it. When I think of it as serious, I dismiss it. Seems apt that the song is one Rick Roll, for how it's fooling me.

Under the Influence by Chris Brown
- on that Morgan Wallen "You Proof" spot of being a bit undeniably good, has a hooky chorus, dammit, but will take a lot to overcome my anti-artist bias to rank it.

(or to share a link to it)

Romantic Homicide by d4vd
- another song that would go well with what I would listen to in my 20s. So beautiful and so depressing. Really want to really like it, but having a hard time getting past the violent imagery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPp5CV ... ture=share

Thank God by Kane Brown and Katelyn Brown
- dismissed this song for it's complete over-earnestness at first. But grows on repeat listens, and most importantly, the forest-for-the-trees discovery that this is a married couple singing about their love for each other and it just hits so much better. Good for them!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

But mostly listening to Meredith Monk today. Dig her playful choral stuff

Visual look feels straight out of George Melies.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ha was not expecting those guys to pop up in the front, I thought those were only pieces of the scenery! Scary. When the Halloween faces and costumes appear later, those are actually kind of cute, but those first ones were the real terror!

Something crazy is happening in the school pick up line here - it looks for all the world like a small gang of retired geezers is trying and failing to carjack people or soliciting for donations or something? What wut whaaaat's happening here? I should probably go now before the oldsters come and attack my window. Maybe they're handing something out. I need to know what's going on.

I just came here to post another classic from Mr bagg!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This craziness is still going on and I still don't know what they're doing. Anyway this particular song is not my favorite among the gems of his oeuvre, but I think it will be another success?
I feel this measurement of wealth by the amount of money you get accustomed to blowing on things, but sir for me it's salmon and blueberries and too much in the category of the peach smoothie. I guess maybe we could talk shoes or flannel sheeting? But are you really blowing that money if you wear the shoes and use the sheets?

Mando

Post by Mando »

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Nice. Reminds me of Aphex Twin's remixing of the original Bowie vocals with Philip Glass' orchestral version

It's weird and anxiety provoking at times, but amazingly beautiful an moving too.

The New York Times' Pop Cast spent their latest episode on Zach Bryan, whose "Something in the Orange" is my favorite country song that's reached the top 40 this year. They noted this guy is a different flavor than the bro country that has dominated country music, but also that a big part of his audience is guys, but in this case, sad guys. Or sad bros. This makes total sense as a sensitive man why I so dig his stuff.

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

My friend's yahrzeit coincided with Yom Kippur, so I didn't post these yesterday.

For Ringo.

I'll die in this room, if you die in this room

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is so good, people doing things during the pandemic:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRuFgpjn/

Just interesting the guy fetishizes 53 and 76 year old women
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The link is not working for me maybe? But if he wants to be hot for the 53-year-olds who can blame him? It's the natural progression of life. He also looks kind of old but maybe that's an illusion.

My child is having his eminem white boy rapper phase. I was cool with the Kate Bush phase, the Metallica phase, and even with the fairly well composed video game music phase. I don't even know where he gets this music because he certainly doesn't hear it at home - cuss words I could understand but this makes no sense. Now the song is totally stuck in my mind:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Only three new entries to the top 40, and nothing "new"

First, The Weeknd's "Die for You" from 2016 is recharting thanks to Tik Tok. It fine.

Long way back predicted "Victoria's Secret" would hit the top 40 and it just hit 38 so I win.

Also win that Beyonce's "Cuff It" is back in the top 40, thanks to Tik Tok, which means I'll probably put it as my personal #1 again like I did for one week in early August.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Re: Kanye's threatening antisemitism and M.I.A.'s antivaxxinng got me thinking wow, these were apex of mid-00s creativity. And how speaking your mind doesn't make you right.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

True - sometimes the saucy people we need also turn out to say crazed stuff. So much of this lately. Kanye seems mentally unwell, and it's sad to watch.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

When trying to remember which baby is the bad one, lil or da, just remember

da'b is bad
put lil'b on the bill
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Trying to start working my way back in the year, listening to top 40 stuff I missed before my project started in May.

There's a bunch of stuff that I've been enjoying but gonna first recommend this screed by SZA.

I don't personally feel this kinda hatred for anyone I know personally, but if it's needed this is a useful sing-along
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

It is pleasing for its purpose, yes. I don't really hate Nicki Minaj because I don't know her that way, but I hate what she has done to music. I thought what MC Hammer had done was bad but there was a certain humor to it? I feel like there's supposed to be some layer of sarcasm or amusement offered in her lyrics or persona but for the life of me I cannot fathom what it is, and no I will not link to that insult of a "song" because you can hear it on the radio at every moment of the day.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Fun that I missed the Nicki era but then came back into music to hear who she influenced -- Cardi and Doja mainly -- and Cardi I like the most -- I think she's a better rapper, and Doja has her moments, her songs are often quite different but it's hit after hit, appreciate the relative-versatility and being on the pulse of the current pop song.

Knowing how to make a current pop hit is fine, but starting to notice what songs I love on the Top 40. If a song sounds unique to the list, unlike nearly anything else on there, chances are it's very good! If it's different and popular chances are it's good. And it's naturally what I gravitate to.

So no shock that I gravitated to this song, written and performed by a 15yo latina girl and her two brothers, featuring acoustic instrumentation and no percussion, a hit earlier in the year. It is so good!

Nice article on them: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... o-obsessed
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Here's another solid one that I missed from earlier in the year. Happy many songs outside of the English language are hitting the charts.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

As for this week, there was only one new entry to the Top 40 (the next two weeks will be different, as Lil Baby takes over next week and Taylor takes over the week after).

And surprise surprise it's different than the rest so I like it! It's a singer-songwriter whose production style is a throwback to the late 50s early 60s sound. The echo reminds me of The Flamingos' "I Only Have Eyes for You" but otherwise has a big Roy Orbinson "Only the Lonely" feel. Yes please!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Big t-shirt Billie eilish big t-shirt Billie eilish big t-shirt Billie eilish
Oh my God I actually preferred the eminem phase, but at least he's learning to spit stuff with conviction even if it's stupid.
I actually lie because the Eminem phase intensifies, and now the challenge is he wants tracks for which there is no clean or radio edit available.
I'm fighting a losing battle here so I'm not sure what to make of that.
Also very obsessed with juice wrld, those grade school kids really love juice wrld and maybe they will learn that you shouldn't do drugs because of it.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I've listened to the new Taylor Swift 3 times so far -- she's very good, it's very good, even though this feels like a retreat to a comfortable pop sound for her, and her lyrics are a bit more-of-the-same, more often-than-not putting her enemies on blast. I was looking for her exploring more. That' said she is good at what she does. I've listened to this song about 6 times, my current fav. It has great lines, and for all her vendetta tracks, this one is more joyful than the rest. In most she's, rightly, angry about what happened to her, this time, she's joyous to see her enemies suffer from karmic retribution. A happy "Look what you made me do"

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

People seem mad about it but I actually have liked whatever they are playing on the radio? Aha it is this:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

It's me, hi!

Oh boy, an early predictor has TS owning the whole Billboard Top 10 -- which would be a historic first -- although one that would be impossible without the streaming era and other changes (in 1964 most of these would fall under album sales, the rest would have to be released singles and popular on the radio -- and only one or two of these songs would fit that)

Current Rank of Most Songs in the Top 10 by a single artist
9, Drake, 9/18/2021
7, Drake, 7/14/2018
5, Juice WRLD, 7/25/2020
5, The Beatles, 4/11/1964
5, The Beatles, 4/4/1964
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ever since I saw that movie about the Yak in the classroom (which spoke to me for so many reasons but probably due to the last several years coming up with stories about a yak - this is hard to explain so will leave it at that, we have lots of yak stories over here), I've been troubled about Bhutan. I don't know how to explain this either. Basically irrational and weird. Some people have a midlife crisis and they want to get a sportscar, you know? Maybe they join a gym or get really into wine tastings. What they don't do, usually, is become obsessed with a random place on the opposite side of the globe, for no apparent reason. However, I'm troubled by a deep and inexplicable desire to move to Bhutan. Is this like, the feelings of old age where I'm being prepped for the next life as someone's dog? A dog that herds yaks? This makes sense to me, yet I feel some bizarre desire to GO TO BHUTAN NOW. Why? I am not going to go there, folks. Not happening. I don't have time, means, the ability to tolerate whatever insect life is there, nothing. I can do nothing with it. It would take me a week to acclimate to the altitude alone. However, I do like cold weather so it gives me pause. I want to be around yaks, I want to spend time with them, learn the songs one sings to them, play the cello for them, etc. You're thinking, w-t-f-ever, go talk to yourself about it because you're doing a lot of cutting but no chips are flying.

Well, NOW WHAT? What are we supposed to do with THIS?

You really do have to watch this - you have to watch it a few minutes in and get the FULL PERSPECTIVE OF THE CAPTIONS. If you don't have time for that, skip ahead a few times and CHECK OUT WHAT IS GOING ON HERE:

You know how these days in the post-Trump-presidency, post-pandemic world, one gets a sense that we got off into the WRONG TIMELINE and need to get back on the subway, back in the elevator, press a different button, go a different direction, and emerge in the proper world? Y'all, I belong in THIS WORLD OVER HERE. This Bhutanese place, this is where I'm supposed to be. With a yak nearby. What am I to do with that information, living over here, completely zero chance of visiting much less moving to this location?
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Honestly, if you can't make a joyous dance and musical number out of your job description, you need a different job.

New Rhianna out. It is a sweet lullaby, nice harmonies, hushed arrangement, with absolutely no edge at all. It's possible that it'll be ignored but more likely people will eat this up as it's her first single in six years and tied to maybe the biggest movie of the year, I'd be surprised if it's not huge. We'll see...

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I look forward to listening to it sometime next week when I finally exhaust my excitement for this one. It's not clear to me what's going on here but maybe Jin came from outer space and decided to stay here and that's why he is the way he is? So a documentary that makes perfect sense? Okay.

Important update:
It is my pet theory that he and Moonbyul are an item, and the reason for the inexplicable bike/helmet/bike bell thing at the end is that Moonbyul just put out a video a few weeks ago and there is hilarious footage of her riding the (decorative) bicycle around on set and dinging the bike bell. It's like a big version of a little kid bike, so it makes sense that in Jin's video (which was shot right after the other one), the parallel is a kid on the bike, who gets his helmet, and then at the end he hears the bike bell but we don't actually see the kid, we just infer that this is later. Also, Moonbyul herself has a motorcycle license and rides a motorcycle. Most of their solo songs reference whatever the other one just put out most recently. If this story isn't true also I don't care because my story is the better way. I am a middle aged woman yep evolved fully into my best form right here, as you see.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I'm still going to pick Karma as my favorite this week but all the songs are growing well on me -- though I've listened to this a lot less than last week

I haven't heard many people note how much Midnights sound like Postal Service. A singer-songwriter writing personal songs, usually on acoustic guitar, releases songs with spacey electronics and nary a guitar anywhere.

Akiva

Post by Akiva »

My love song went wrong

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I haven't had time to listen to much of that Taylor Swift but I do really like the first single they put out on the radio. So I'm looking forward to hearing the rest soon!

This song below grows on me... I do not like the way he sings the first part, so I just skip forward to the part where he puts the paper boat in the water and it becomes a drawing and then things get better. That part of the song I really like. It's not normally my cup of tea but I have a kid who collects elephants and I like the boat and all of that business.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

My music project has been faltering. Part of the blame is a bit overwhelming stuff of life. 2022 is something. But I'm going to blame the music, mainly the huge albums that those their 20 songs onto the top 40 and then skip out a week later. Why listen to lil baby's latest 5 times if I can just wait it out. Feel the same about the new Drake x 21 Savage joint. It's going to occupy possibly 8/10 spots... I liked Drakes first album this year but wasn't really itching for more.

That said, I should really give these the 3 to 5 listens anyways. Its overall been a rewarding experience and who knows maybe this album will grow on me as they all do (at least a little -- maybe should give lil baby another try too)

Ok back in

This good

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

When they first started reporting on that Drake album I just assumed it was the same one! How many albums does this man put out? Too many. For some reason it has taken me until now to find Drake irritating. I think most people got there about a decade ago? Surely at least a few years ago? My kids were there (at Drake Sucks) the first day I started listening to him on the radio and liked it. The problem is that I find his famous critics even more irritating than I find him, and meanwhile he was making music I liked. Not a huge fan of the latest - apparently its theme is, roughly, women want money, men want sex, they trade, this is capitalist economy at its finest. ???? It's not like I took Drake to be a feminist but I did take him to write songs that appealed to women, and displayed at least some subtlety of understanding of gender issues, on occasion. This one just feels more like garden variety sexist nonsense. I'm sorry that Drake can't find a non transactional romance, but you get the impression that he hasn't really tried very hard.