The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Phoebe

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by Phoebe »

This one kind of presenting himself as the replacement Justin Timberlake now - it's a significant upgrade. Please upgrade us and also start working directly with Timbaland.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Song for the day:

Reel on a repeating loop
Mike

Post by Mike »

Akiva wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:45 pm Song for the day:

That video is SO MUCH!

I'm hypnotized by the giant mustard bowler.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I've returned to the most influential music list of my life, NPRs 2027 list of the 150 Greatest Album By Women. Starting last week I've been going up the list, revisiting the albums. There are mostly an immense pleasure, though I was wondering if six years later I'd suddenly grab onto an album that didn't hit me then. And that happened today with Ofra Haza's Yeminite Songs album. The recent tragedies may have made some of the emotional songs more resonant but I think apart from this, I didn't really appreciate the mix of her voice, the crisp production, and the percussion! Anywho checked out her other stuff and heard the remix of the albums lead track, and it's just perfectly 80s.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Very cool - but even cooler that you're giving us the 2027 list. At this point it's good to have the evidence things are relatively ok! But seriously I love it, love the list and all the info you have given us about it.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Hehe, I made the 2010s 2020s error again today, this is only going to get worse hehe

I hadn't heard this song in probably 30 years and it's now on regular rotation for me. Such a banger!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I love it and this is still one of the best concerts I've attended! The energy was off the charts.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ok, when you need a pick me up, this is delightful:

I love her music and singing and apparently we are about to get a new album. My kid is now sharing my obsession with her vocals and I have also figured out just this morning two reasons why the ladies love him: he will wander around singing a Kali Uchis song, and he has taken to carrying a small jewelry box in which he places pieces of candy or gum and then he will present this as an offering. I don't even know what to say about that. Mr suave at the junior high pops open his little jewelry box and asks if you want a piece of gum. I feel like I'm not responsible and I'm afraid for what happens later.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

In this video at 2:02 is a purse - nay, a MONEYBAGG - and I own an exact duplicate of this purse. Is it a commonly-held sort of moneybag? Perhaps!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Phoebe wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:54 am Ok, when you need a pick me up, this is delightful:

I love her music and singing and apparently we are about to get a new album. My kid is now sharing my obsession with her vocals and I have also figured out just this morning two reasons why the ladies love him: he will wander around singing a Kali Uchis song, and he has taken to carrying a small jewelry box in which he places pieces of candy or gum and then he will present this as an offering. I don't even know what to say about that. Mr suave at the junior high pops open his little jewelry box and asks if you want a piece of gum. I feel like I'm not responsible and I'm afraid for what happens later.
Damn what a move, so funny and cute I imagine, though I don't think it'd play that way if I done that in junior high.

Kali! Is the song "Moonlight"? That's my fav.

Want to show some love for her in this collab. At the state fair saw some Haudenosaunee dances, and the music would start, slowly build and then... slow all the way down and then build to a fever pitch again. This song almost gets that feel where it happily slows the jam down multiple times.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Yes the song is moonlight! Apparently the world loves this song. I like the new stuff that's coming out but I don't have time to focus on anything and figure out what I'm listening to. Good accompaniment in the car though!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ok, Spotify Is yielding fruit even though I'm annoyed that they keep changing the format so I can't figure out how to make lists or favorites or whatever.

I had very high hopes for people who wanted to call themselves "Sonic Sea Turtles" and the hopes were rewarded here. There's about a thousand different things going on and I'm pretty sure I like all of them individually... Especially the noodling on the guitar... Have vague questions but I'm for it, in general. As I get older I just can't get down with the kids and their meaningful lyrics... Like I think he intends "work out" not to mean weightlifting but I'm thinking yeahhhhh I hope I have the energy to work out too... Let me get this kettlebell, lol!

Mando

Post by Mando »

Taemin is back from his military service with a new album!
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Jack Harlow has this new song I'm not even going to bother to link here because he can get his support elsewhere, but when I first heard it on the radio I kind of liked it and he was talking about how he was vanilla and not into the whips but still nevertheless, da da da, and it was a catchy tune.. I was thinking well, damn, here I am doomed to enjoy a Jack Harlow song relative to other things that will pop up on the radio. Then I went and listened to it on Spotify and found out what had been bleeped out!!! Choking! He's offering to choke the lady friend! No thank you sir! And I really hope a 1,000 think pieces bloom because holy s*** is this dangerous for women. What a jackass. My pro vanilla sex anthem turned out to be something ugly.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I remember grudgingly accepting 80s pop Donna rather than disco star Donna, but I could not relate to the lyrics. Yes, respect for the hard working woman seemed good, but was it a big deal? Surely we should treat workers right, all the time? Surely we would expect more, do better? I was oblivious! I didn't even realize. Finally got it, like, damn!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This ridiculous piece of music is like 10 other songs mashed together but I like every one of those 10 so let it happen:

It gives me a break from Mr Beyoncé Rodrigo who lives in my house and rides in my car every day, demanding to control the Spotify.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I can't explain to you why I like this music. Well, I can: It started off with a beat I liked and then he started going off and when he reached the word "garnishes" I was dead on the floor laughing. It was an uncomfortable situation as I was trying to drive the car and it was just all so much. I searched the googles for a linkable video and apparently I'm the only person who listens, so I couldn't find it and now finally I achieved success. Pretty sure this is not safe for work. I feel like I understand this man even though I'm pretty sure we are human opposites. You can keep that Bitcoin and I'll be having lunch with the DA, yes. Like I know nothing of this man's life but he sounds correct and hilarious. Martha Stewart is even cited herein:

Mando

Post by Mando »

Slow but catchy...really pick up (for me) after the 1:40 mark.
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh that was a very relaxing mix of songs - led to much youtube video hopping among the Mills Brothers as well.

This is like the triple crown victor of pregnancy announcements. I wish things like this had existed when I was in the end months of pregnancies and pretty much resigned to wearing a bedsheet and using every ounce of bodily energy to roll from one side to the other all day and night. People should be careful watching this as it may lead to a spontaneous development of pregnancy as well:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The video for this song has not made me like it more, unfortunately, but this is what I do my car dancing to lately - when you need to bounce your butt around to stay warm in the car and you need some good music for the task:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Cannot get past this - it's just so good. Revolutionary in its day AND today:

Mike

Post by Mike »

This just hit my Tail Tok feed yesterday and IIve added all my RAtM tracks back into my main rotation. Also revolutionary...

And the BBC execs that told them they couldn't say "fuck" apparently never listened to any other lyrics in the song.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Hehhh, they were not prepared. I never hear this on the radio anymore - I need to add some of their stuff into my playlists.

I was just listening to this one in the car - I remember the first time I ever heard it, based on a recommendation somewhere. I didn't really know what to expect and the intro was so different, It took a while for the whole effect to unfurl itself. It was revelatory, like looking through brand new eyes. I was like, have I noticed anything before or is this the first time I have been awake?!

Now I have to listen to it a couple times every month just to keep myself proper.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Spotify has its limitations!
As I was listening to a playlist and this song came up, I discovered they think the following lyric:
"The more I give you, the more you want"
Is instead:
"The more I grease you, the smaller you get"
Lollll
I don't know man, maybe in some iteration of the song but not in the one that was played on Ed Sullivan, and that's the one on Spotify in question:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Hello, I'm here to let you know this is what the kids are listening to (presented WITHOUT COMMENT):

I'm still on "main dish" up there... Still finding it as fresh and delightful as ever. I like my money blue, no Bitcoin!
His mating call is just the "BLAUW!" of diamonds hitting his neck - I don't know if that's a visual thing or if it makes that sound when it smacks the collarbone. Doesn't matter; the point is that's all you need, to show up with these diamonds and be done. Also it's his cousin but will leave that to the side for now... Is the cousin one of the garnishes I wonder?
Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Spotify is improving my life. I'm sure I'm spending a couple dollars a year to support something b******* but I don't know of any other service that is going to get this job done better and it is a significant life improvement to have music and be able to shape the contents. I no longer have to listen to terrible AM radio to find out what the nutters are thinking, although I do love my hip hop station because that's where I find out the best new music.

Anyway, this one keeps popping up on my playlist and it is evergreen. For a while it was neglecting it because I had so many other favorites from them, but it's so good. I was kind of amazed this video was not official because I just think of it as the video for the song:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This song has been out for decades and I could never place where I had heard it... I kept coming across samples or remixes but couldn't name the original. It's pretty catchy! Finally located:

Mando

Post by Mando »

Unfindable on Spotify!
Dirty Water by Rock & Hyde
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Surprisingly powerful:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Never was much of a Ryan Gosling fan. Eh. No feeling one way or the other. Well! For some reason in this iteration, I felt things:

Epic, truly.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Because he has such good kenergy.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

My youngest son and I started a quest two years ago to watch the complete catalog of goose movies. We've only got six left. Love the goose.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I stayed up till midnight just so I could hear Beyoncé's version of Jolene, and I was apparently slow to the news there is an entire country album out here today. Haven't even made it through the whole thing and I am just astounded. I couldn't imagine how she was going to top the last album. It's so creative and new and interesting... It's just astonishing what she has done here. The version of Jolene alone pretty much burns down the world, but so many more amazing songs. Protector is one of my favorites so far. This album is doing everything all at once - It's country but I'm hearing a lot of Prince, a lot of gospel, a lot of something I don't even know what to call it... Beyond genre.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The song "Daughter" on Beyoncé's new album took my breath away before we got to this part and then I was in complete disarray, not sure whether to laugh for joy or cry!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Warning: listening to this could cause you to low level vibrate all over with frequencies you can't even hear!

Update: The good looking one in this video started following me on social media for no goddamn reason... I think it must be a hoax or something? Maybe it's some phishing attempt, like guys in prison will write to some hapless old woman and get her to mail them cash and knives or something? I would mail this guy cash and a knife, yes. I can't understand it. I did nothing... I don't even think I was following them on the media. I'm just a huge fan. I think the AI that lives in my phone and understands everything I do must have given me this gift somehow by throwing my profile in front of this person randomly. Praise to our AI overlords.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I have complaints about the world's criticism of Beyonce's Jolene. My child informed me that her enjoyment of the song was being dampened! Look at the video, I said: that hand is not Beyoncé's hand! She's not from Louisiana! This song is about her mother! And if her mother wants to bring that smoke to jolene's door then so be it, Jolene brought it on her own damn self. I do not understand the critics at all. Loretta Lynn is ready to take you to fist city because you're not woman enough to take her man. Is somebody going to tell Loretta she's wrong? Because I'm not going to tell her. I'm riding right there with her. Yes, Dolly's version is very poignant and touching. Yes, a man who wants to dabble with a side chick is ultimately the one responsible for whatever problems are caused. But Beyonce Is talking about a happy man! He hasn't been accused of any wrongdoing. Jolene is the problem here. I don't understand how people have never experienced anything like this or could not put themselves in the shoes of a person who had. I can't even count the number of times I've been rendered utterly invisible by some Jolene in this world. They are everywhere and they do not give a f*** whether the man is married. They look at you and see that you don't spend a dime on your appearance and are sort of weird, and I guess it bolsters their confidence because they think that's what matters. Oh I've seen Jolene, I've watched her work right in front of my face without the slightest bit of concern. There is not one thing wrong with Beyoncé's Jolene version. We don't care because we are pretty damn clear on what our good qualities are, and she can't even begin to imagine.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I like Beyonce's Jolene.
I love Texas Hold Em.
I adore this version of Blackbird for so many reasons.
Daughter is exquisite.
I'm still taking in pieces of the album.

On the other hand, Beyonce and Jay-Z are also billionaires, and thus inherently evil, but it doesn't alter the fact that Beyonce produces some amazing music.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I had exactly your list of positives and when we reached Daughter it was "mind blown" phase, and from there I'm not even tracking individual stuff... I was just WhAt IS tHiS?!!! Still there!
For some reason American Requiem is the one sticking with me during the non-listening times.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Still loving this Beyonce album!

Difficult day but now it's the weekend I guess.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Mood: another day, another $#!??& work function where I can't eat the food (or have to wait for an hour to figure out whether it's edible), have to shout inane small talk at people in a noisy room, have to be judged purely on appearances, and inevitably will be blamed for doing God only knows what wrong. I want to live in a very depopulated, cold area, like Greenland or the mountainous parts of Mongolia.