The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

poorpete

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by poorpete »

In appreciation of the YouTube Global 100 playlist

Of the first 10 songs, 9 are not in english. Morgan W nowhere to be seen. Bunch of gems throughout.

1. Le Bebe - solid
2. Ella Baila Solo - She dances alone? If you are missing mind-bending guitar licks and horns, Peso Pluma is for you
3. un x100to - if you like great singing and accordion solos, go here!
4. Cupid - if you want KPop mixed with Dua Lipa, go here
5. Flower - even better KPop
6. アイドル - wild, feels at home with Beat Saber video game music
7. Calm Down - awesome 10/10 afrobeat hit
8. TQG - Months in and still loving this Shakira / Karol G collab. Shakira, eligable for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame btw, I'll give it 10 years but I think she's deserving.
9. Flowers - I have really come around to this song. I'm mixed on the pre-chorus (I can buy myself flowers) but the chorus is greatest (I can love me better baby). Probably my favorite Miley song at this point.
10. Por las Noches - laid back Peso Pluma, romantic. For the night?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I would probably like most of this and will need to explore the options. Number seven is currently the go-to radio song since they play it all the time and apparently my kids hate it. It's not like I'm capable of singing any song, but this is a particularly difficult song to sing well. I'm a sucker for the afrobeat thing. My kid likes this new Nicki Minaj song and it pains me, so I don't mind trying to get even with him a little bit.

The other songs they're playing all the time on the pop radio here are Lady Gaga's bloody Mary, which is interesting because it's such an old song, and then I came to find out this other song by Miguel is also super old! I thought it was something new! I'm obsessed with it!! Such a good song. I can't look it up right now while on the phone but it's called sure thing by Miguel. When it comes on the radio I sing it with absolute conviction and my kid says things like, why do you sound like a dying goat? Well you got the GOAT thing right kid and everybody is on the hill towards death.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I like the new old Miguel too! Viva this generation reviving songs because they're good!

Hope renewed interest can turn to his Janelle duet

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Rhiannon Giddens won the Pulitzer Prize for Music

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/08/arts ... -omar.html

Watching her rise over the last decade plus has been a wonder to watch. Here she is in 2010...

Mike

Post by Mike »

Few songs make me as happy as that one does. Every single time.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

This concert is going to be up through Monday night:

https://www.sphereensemble.org/event-de ... ter-stream

The live show was epic and awesome, and had a whole range of kick-ass music. Also I hit my cello...a lot...sometimes with sticks. Mumford and Sons, Vrabalov, Pinzon, Bowie, Buena Vista Social Club, 25 Classical Tunes in 10 minutes, and Lizzo. It's worth checking it up.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

My least favorite Renaissance song now has been reconfigured with Kendrick dropping verses. Much better!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

My kid loves the Kendrick version so much. We've been spending so much time with that album - It improves upon repeated listening, luckily, because we're definitely deep into the repeats. In the meantime I am diverted by this:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

New Dua Lipa

Maybe says "dance" one too many times, maybe sounds a lot like her other stuff, but I liking it more and more with each listen so I can only predict it will take over the world.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Is this from the actual Barbie movie? At first my kids wanted me to take them to the Barbie movie and I said, why? I asked the universe why. Now it turns out I'm not good enough to go to the Barbie movie with them. The universe answers.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Still obsessed with Miguel - love how they retrieve an old song like this every so often and the genius is recognized! But then I finally got a song Pete and the rest of you might like, since the kids are listening to this apparently. They like the high vocals, not my thing, but I do like the generally soothing guitar jangle going on here:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Also there is a new Rancid album... The radio just gifted me one of them and oh my goodness I have something I need to listen to this evening!!
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

"Put Your Records On" singer tries something new, deserves a second big hit

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Late to the party as usual but LOVVVVVVE this guy's singing, music, band, etc:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I'm always slightly amused by these movement of time songs, given current perspective on life. I imagine in twenty years I'll look back and laugh on the present as well, if I'm still around. Thus the simultaneous grandiosity and humility of time passage pronouncements these days: grandiose due to covering the remaining span of life before death, and humble due to the realism of experience. Where are the heartfelt tunes about somehow, before one dies, achieving and maintaining an organized linen closet? Where is the piercing resolve in lyrics about learning to start a new creative project/new book/new repair only after fully completing one already in progress? I need more accommodating forms of poetry for life, but it's a nice jangly tune that reminds one of new wave or early 00s alternative pop.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Obsession with the entire genre of Mongolian hip-hop (or anything Mongolian) continues. No idea what he's saying. Fringe appears to be a major fashion thing in Mongolia, not just in this video but found everywhere. Hip-hop and Mongolian culture seem to be made for each other, they are a natural union of greatness. The way the traditional instruments are woven in seamlessly is amazing. Love everything about this.

In the second video there are CARS, LOTS OF CARS - it seems to be a video created for/with a car rally of some sort. I am for it. They are doing their own thing with these cars - they have plans, not sure why one is being hoisted in the air but there it is - at the end it's like a MAGA truck parade except without the MAGA. I feel like we need to investigate everything happening in the Mongolian culture because it is cooler than everything else.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I hear the song on the radio all the time and some technical difficulty prevents me from figuring out exactly what song it is. This has been going on for a minimum of 6 months and finally at long last I have f****** got it. This is like my second favorite song in the universe:

Even more discoveries have followed!!!!!

I think I was confusing the above song for this song sometimes! This is its friend and neighbor and big sister, as well as my favorite song in the universe:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Listening to the first one the second one autoplayed.

What radio station are you listening to?

Been diving, shallow, not quite deep, into the Shakira I missed. Those 20 years or so that she had global domination and I was doing something else. She's like, really really good. This one from last year I play on repeat

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

She's so good. We have a variety of Spanish language radio stations and one of them is playing Mi Banda El Mexicano regularly. I would hear these songs like once every two weeks but in the middle of traffic where I couldn't whip out my phone and get it to record, and the dang phone assistant is useless. So finally it happened at a stoplight, essentially.

This song definitely has a non-clean version, a non radio edit, if you will! I discovered that by surprise in the middle of the kitchen. But this is the clean version, I think? They really saved the most obvious danceable poppy song for Jungkook's debut - all of those BTS related songs eventually dominate the charts because of the organized efforts of Army, but this one will deserve it and stay there longer. Personally I like the RM album, the JHope album, Jin's song, Suga and Psy song, but you can see this one will be a big favorite. The competition seems to be from ding-a-ling, who has never once been part of the "we" in a small town yet decided tarnishing the rep of small towns by being a racist ass and then crying about being canceled was the best way not to be canceled at all. Why can't the people who are canceled actually be canceled for a change? It would be amazing if somehow canceling WORKED and then you didn't have to hear from these idiots or have their song played on the radio all the time. Gross. The fact that we live in a country where people like this s*** is nauseating. I need to move to another state like New Mexico or Vermont but probably can't do it until retirement. I've been thinking seriously about spending a year in Mongolia to intentionally court the culture shock. Probably can't do that either, as family needs you and can't support a random year long absence. The only solution is to stay and fight and win. If I run for office please delete everything I've ever posted on the internet.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is a classic and the video is unexpectedly amusing - it may be unseemly to smile and laugh when you're watching this because of a woman's passing, but as she says, she believes in life after death and so hopefully she understands that the video sparks a little joy and it cannot be helped:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Lizzo - sorry, Lizzolas! - is in New Zealand and posting about it on Instagram. She visited the Hobbiton and played the recorder in "contemporary elf" costume. I hope this link works:

https://www.instagram.com/lizzobeeating/

Also not sure I'm understanding this correctly but they made that theme park out of the set they used to film the movies? If so this is brilliant; If not they should do it all the time.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

My two favorite Regional Mexican artists, Yahritza (y Su Esencia) and Grupo Frontera are back with another collaboration that I've fallen quickly for

and this is now the THIRD great "flower" song of the year

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Flower songs! My kid and I have been discussing the whole Lizzo thing and I tell you it is not making for an easy conversation. He wants my genuine opinion and advice, and I don't want to teach him to be suspicious of the complaints of people who say that they are abused or harassed. At the same time, many of the claims are internally contradictory or raise other questions about their veracity. So I'm trying to communicate this while generally also communicating that we should keep an open mind and not just blindly believe somebody because we are a fan. And in general we should adopt the attitude of being open to such claims and not thinking anybody is above suspicion, just as we would in other situations.

Well, I also saw an interesting essay about the song Lizzo does for the movie, suggesting that Barbie world is portrayed as a kind of platonic heaven of ideal forms, where people don't have to use their bodies as such, the waves are made of plastic and the mirrors don't really reflect anything and you float down from the sky straight into your vehicle. This made sense to me so I read on... Apparently the movie offers some sort of critique of this metaphysical view by showing how important embodiment is and how there are cracks at the base of the system where people worry about their mortality and all the awful things in the real world. And that was interesting. But I recommend progress to the level two critique, which could start with the observation that it's really nice if the mirror is empty, and the embrace of embodiment in the world is a mixed bag and the tools for making sense of it don't change. (I should point out here the beauty secrets Barbie came with a real tiny mirror.)
In any event, this song is freaking hilarious and awesome, as is the companion bad day underbelly version:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Falling for K Pop this year

Fabulous

Insanely good
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Apparently this woman has been around for a long time but I just found out about her via Spotify. So far Spotify has been pretty crappy it providing new music a person might like, which is weird because it has way more information than Pandora ever did and somehow Pandora did it way better. The "DJ" function on Spotify is enraging, it's so bad. They need a rating system where you can indicate levels of disgust as well as liking.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Phoebe you might dig this I think... the song and the video is so good. Throwback to 00s I think

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I like, yes! My kid and I are so thoroughly saturated in Beyoncé's Renaissance that it's hard to process anything else. I was not mentally prepared, I was not on a high enough level to grasp the merits of this album until after I had listened to it for a long time. Now I feel like I'm on the right level for real appreciation and I'm trying to absorb every beat of it ... every word every layer. For example the song below - this is genius in so many ways. I can't even count the ways. I'm also secretly convinced that she's using a rack of ribs as a simile for her love relationship. Full slab? I don't know that I would kill for ribs or anything else, really - well I mean, other than the poor creature that is the source of the bbq - but what else could this mean? It's the whole slab of ribs. I don't even know anymore. I could be losing it.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I'm puzzled by this - is it a song and if so by whom? Is it a mix? Of what? is it "reggaeton" as my phone insists? I hear this on the radio, ask the phone what I am hearing, and this is what it tells me. Unfortunately, I have no idea what is being said here outside of a few keywords, so I fill in the blanks myself and enjoy the result:

Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Yorge Feidrich Yandle. He wrote the Messyah. I think.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That's the one!
Mando

Post by Mando »

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I love George Benson so much! He is older now and I believe he has a home in Lahaina on Maui - I hope everyone was safe and that it wasn't all destroyed. Regardless I imagine it has been a terrible thing for him and his family. I think he has many children and grandchildren as well. So many of the songs are classics that we all know without even realizing he was doing them.

This combination of performers is just fire from the start even though I don't think Chaka Khan knows what the lyrics of the song are because he keeps saying them before her lines! Or maybe she's drunk, I don't know! The most surprising part for me was when Ray Charles starts piping in with some accompanying singing about halfway through and it's perfect for the song. He knows just how to drop that in.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Song made for me? Very Silk Sonic but that's not a bad thing

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

A miracle has happened and I found a Nicki Minaj song I like. For some reason my kid likes Nicki Minaj and we fight about this in the car because I do not want it while driving. This is not what I would call a good song but it's something I could tolerate while driving:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

If you don't have time for GUTS, make time for Get Him Back!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Had not heard this one yet! Her vampire song is played about once every five songs on the local stations here. The announcers breathlessly wonder whether the vampire in question is Taylor Swift.

Just when I was about to relent in this long campaign of distaste for Doja Cat, she decided to sully something she should not have been allowed to touch. Eww. It's particularly galling that she chose a song from someone who has almost the opposite voice: such a silky, light, clear sound, yet full of power and depth! And then in the Doja Cat attack on this song, you're hit with a wretched, scratchy, whiny surface sound. Aaahhggggghhh It's like nails on a chalkboard. I refuse to even link anything but the original. I love Dionne Warwick so much and grew up with this album in particular. This whole thing was the epitome of glamour:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Sorry Phoebe I'm really enjoying the new Doia songs. I have failed you
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:40 am Sorry Phoebe I'm really enjoying the new Doia songs. I have failed you
I know, I get it and probably at some point I'm going to crack and find myself listening to it in the car without changing the station in a rage, but for now I stand firm in defense of the sanctity of Dionne Warwick! My kid keeps laughing with his little friends about how his mom thought it was some other song, so now she's mad at Doja even though "it's just a few seconds of sample, can you imagine??? Why is she mad? Lolllllll. She's the same with Beyoncé and Donna Summer!"
Laugh now kid, someday you'll see I was right.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Okay yes I had to pull this out because damn! It's simply iconic. Including the video with her octopus arms and robot arms and the ladies in the blue and white robes whom I'm living my life to emulate now. I can't figure out the who whom in this sentence and it's killing me, but mental health means letting it go. Those ladies are me dancing in the car or really me dancing anywhere now at this age and condition. But this is iconic, unique, perfect - there's nothing else like it. Obviously I am glad beyoncé appreciates her but hopefully she would agree with me we need to go to the source. Tell me why the voice to text brain understands that beyoncé gets an accented e but doesn't capitalize it as a name. Someone tell me what the heck that's about.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Yes, totally, Beyonce, Doja, they want their fans to go back
Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is so pleasant:

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

The music is catchy and I like that he has a low voice, but that poor man is the victim of the same stylist who did Kiesza's hideaway video. Great song that becomes an earworm but the worst fashion ever witnessed. I say this whilst sitting here in ancient black stretchy leggings that have holes in the seams, ancient running shoes with holes in the toes, and someone else's shirt I can actually date to 2010. I should not be stepping in as the stylist for a video. Someone needs to help him and whoever is responsible for the hem of his pants needs to begin an entirely new career from this point on! The director too. All of them. Whoever told him or did not tell him to stop touching his hair. Etc.

Darn it, I knew if I acknowledged the mere thought of this song with a mention, it would start to repenetrate the brains:
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

YouTube then suggested this to me and I puzzled over it greatly because it's too early in the morning to make sense of this type of thing. They obviously love each other, I don't know. They love each other so much that he is into this not quite a lap dance but also not a good one, and then they walk on their hands and the crowd loves it. These Canadians, I tell you. What is going on up there? This is like a beautiful concept and beautiful lyrics that somehow get set to a boring music and a strangely boring performance that is trying to be anything but boring? I don't know what to make of it. We are all hip hop all the time in this household at the moment so this is a strange and jarring departure.

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is so nice - peaceful, mellow, soothing. It's nice to be nice sometimes:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Dog woke me up at exactly 4:45 a.m. making his high pitched squeaking noises like a maniac. Oh boy, he's really got to go potty. I drag my sad sorry ass out of bed thinking he means anything he says (yeah, squeaks, for some reason he can only squeak) and when we get to the door there's about six raindrops falling in the entirety of the sky but those six are way too much for him so he decides to whimper off to the bed again. Or wherever he's going to secretly try to dribble some pee. He will not come out, he will not pass go, I will get nothing out of him, period. Meanwhile I'm standing out there on the deck in my underwear getting lightly rained on trying to lure the dog by showing him that it's safe. It's not safe dog it's f****** raining and it's four f****** 49 in the morning.

So I go back to sleep and about a half hour ago he wakes me up again, this time actually willing to go out and potty. What choice do I have? When he beckons I respond because of the constant concern about whether he's eating or peeing or uncomfortable or happy all day long. I chose this life, kinda. So we go out. But because I was suddenly woken I realized that I have been dreaming with a horrible soundtrack for who knows how long. The radio edit of this song is so much better than the original. The part where 21 says to call your daddy, call your uncle, is so freaking hilarious on the clean edit precisely because he takes a little pause, like he's trying to think of who else can be called. Maybe call your uncle. Turns out he's saying b****. When you hear it with that word it doesn't sound clever at all anymore. It's not funny when someone is saying b**** or making violent threats in the middle of what's supposed to be clever. I do still think it's funny when Drake was trying to tell the hoes that they forgot who they're talking to. And btw he only has the d for them when he's not busy. I understand baby, me too. We know what it's like.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

For those who love eclectic albums with meaningful lyrics, Corinne Bailey Rae has got you covered!

Black Rainbows jumps between soul and punk and piano ballads and psychedelia, and does it all speaking on Black lives. Erasure would feel home on a punk album or even sung by Radiohead. It is amazing.

They Typex'ed all the black kids out of the picture
So when they pictured that scene, they wouldn't be seen
Baby girl in the front row, with the cornrows
Smiling at the band
They made a cartoon of you
They beat you into lead, and made an object out of you
They put out lit cigarettes down your sweet throat
They fed you to the alligators

They tried to erase you
They tried to erase you
They tried to eviscerate you, hide behind the curtain
Make you forget your name
She was interviewed by NPR, and about "they tried to erase you" noted, yes it's angry, but it's also hopeful. They TRIED. But they didn't succeed.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I love it!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

They're going to planet Snoopiter.