The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Phoebe

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by Phoebe »

The obsession with this Mongolian horsehead fiddle and throat singing stuff continues unabated. This one has it all including a light show. The people at the Grammys should watch this and imitate. However, I'm finding it hilarious that Sam Smith put on a pretty basic Halloween top hat and crawled into the minds of GOP Congresspeople who think they can somehow score points off this. Nothing like hearing criticism of a horned top hat from a lady who actually has a long history of cheating on her spouse, consistent with her super pure Christian ideals. But these public comments are always so interesting for what they reveal. Megyn Kelly is really upset about Sam Smith wearing nipple covers because it implies he has some reason to cover his nipple, and this implication is too much to bear. Then it got really weird: she says the problem is nothing comes out of his nipple. Nothing comes out? That's why we wear a nipple cover? Has she somehow mistaken those things for nursing pads? Does she think that strippers wear nipple covers because you have to do something about the potential leakage? You just learn so much more about the person complaining - like I honestly would not have known that Megyn Kelly was a racist until she complained about Black Santa. Anyway, what they don't know is the real threat is in this video right here:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Multi-talented she is! Good stuff

I rolled my eyes at the Unholy performance, I think someone said it was Rocky Horror-ish and that's exactly what's up. It's not controversial, it's silly harmless camp.

Sam Smith must be laughing up a storm at the nipple cover reaction.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Everyone was so thoroughly dressed, too. Yet nowadays a nipple cover is TOO MUCH coverage, so who can predict the outrage? It was a very lazy, fully-clothed, non-sexy devil ritual, as these things go on the T.V. Why isn't anyone offended by the idea of cheating on your spouse or being paid/paying for favors in handbags? I guess that's a human universal now so nobody complains? People don't even care if you use campaign funds for it. Long ago we used to think it was tacky even to have a company's brand visible on your clothes, but now that's what you pay for. I'm one of those old-fashioned terrible feminists who think prostitution is bad for everyone, especially the prostitutes, and I include any type of transactional relationship in my prudish, humorless disapproval. Inevitably it's people who profess to hate capitalism who will tell you that feminists MUST support prostitution in all its forms, and sex-positive demands for handbags and such. Feminists need to put out pamphlets about index funds and the power of compound interest.

I always took this to be satire but people were like, LET US PUT IT INTO ACTION:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

She ends up with the guy who gives her daisies y'all. Daisies. He watches and learns. At a more advanced and sophisticated level he starts giving her a package of frozen salmon fillets, as if she were a cat.

Last night at 10:00 my kid burst into my room to announce that this song exists. Still trying to process what all is going on with the kid to produce such effects, but anyway we have similar tastes! I worry that loving your kid too much is a form of narcissism, but whatever. Nothing you can do about it except let the people go on being awesome. It's a delight to observe every time, how awesome they are. Even if it obviously has nothing to do with me, I can pretend and that's good enough. The fact that you are so awesome makes me feel slightly more awesome even as I lay here as a slug. But no, I will get up and continue with the winning, because that's how we do it every day regardless:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

So to confuse things, was hoping this was a mashup with SZAs "Special" which is a bit of a mix between Beck's Loser and Radiohead's Creep, but maybe the songs wouldn't jibe

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Hmmmmmm I will take the Lizzo version - I love that SZA Is unique and creative but we are going UP over here! You can't give your special away. It's like sourdough, it's just going to keep making fuel. But I also like that Lizzo acknowledges the negative along with her positives... It's not just platitudes and feel good songs, but notes maybe people don't always feel great and yet damn it they are great anyway, so keep on rolling and be great.

I have been occupying the room downstairs from a kid who is playing music all day and I just hear the low thumping of Cuff It... Which reminds me how delighted I was to see Nile Rodgers on stage at the Grammys! They should have put him up there at the start of the hip hop and rap medley because after all, he's the start of it. Well, here's one I'm listening to tonight - takes me back to Saturday nights when I was my kids age:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Yep, his decision not to kill off Rapper's Delight, which he had every right to do, allowed Hip Hop to grow and flourish.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Watched Missy Elliott's "Gossip Folks" for the nth time and looked up on genius the origins of the schoolyard slang in the chorus, which comes from this, which wow. Both awesome and silly, it's like a blueprint for "Uptown Funk" he should get some royalties.

Update, seems it's widely thought that Uptown Funk stole a little bit from everyone, but only gave in an credited this one

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

One of the few out major country music songwriters
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/maga ... music.html

also co-wrote my behated 'AA" -- I gave it a 4/10, reconsidering, I do like the "she married way way down" that's the kind of self-depreciation I appreciate! I do like the guitar riff. Eh, I have problems with "Rehab" too so even if it didn't have the "daughters off the pole" line I'd still be iffy about the rest.

He also produced "Fancy Like" which is way way better.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:16 pm Watched Missy Elliott's "Gossip Folks" for the nth time and looked up on genius the origins of the schoolyard slang in the chorus, which comes from this, which wow. Both awesome and silly, it's like a blueprint for "Uptown Funk" he should get some royalties.
I am slain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did the world hide this man?!!!!!! What has happened here? Is this real or is it happening because I'm sick and have a fever, which is in fact happening? Did you actually post this and is it a real thing?! He needs every penny that was made by uptown funk. Like I don't even know if they should keep more than a penny on the dollar for that. I don't know that I even have the bus fare for this kind of bus. I would need to drink coffee or something, I don't know.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Lol right??? It feels so much like a parody. Plus a raspy middle aged guy acting weird is telling kids to get in a vehicle with him? We watched videos about this a decade later Bad idea kids! But it's not a parody and this guy is not a threat, and everything is amazing.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Quite possible I've heard this as a kid

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Lol he's doing a whole pied Piper thing with the "bus"/van, kids just walking right on! A more innocent time I guess.
poorpete wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:50 pm He also produced "Fancy Like" which is way way better.
I read this as fancy like the Iggy azalea fancy and was lost in the wilderness for a time.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

meanwhile, a new Missy feature dropped, interpolating herself
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Speechless!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Current favorite... I'm unable to escape the inexplicable powers of Mr Moneybagg Yo, or maybe he's just Mr Yo, Money, M. B. Yo, who comes in at the end and casually destroys the whole track with his little feature. It must be hard to be a fairly decent rapper and put out a track like this, good job, solid effort, and then you have to be compared to Mr. Yo like that. At least he doesn't have to follow him? I don't know who could follow him. Not many. I think this Moneybagg guy should be an actor, he has some type of charismatic it-factor. He has a hilarious video with GloRilla but I don't think it's for everyone, whereas this one might have fairly wide appeal:

EDITED to say, they cut his verse out of the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?????????????!!!!!!!!
I investigate but I can't figure it out yet.

EDITED once again to report: some monstrous person apparently added a verse from Moneybagg Yo to this song by stealing something from another track and putting it in here!!! There was no verse! It was not real! I think somebody must have figured that out and they had to take it out or they would be sued or whatever. Killed. Who knows. Just crazy that they edited this and put in a whole verse from my guy and it was stolen!
Last edited by Phoebe on Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Karol G is out with a new album, it's slowly growing on me, we'll see if any songs will match my obsession with "Provenza"

The duet with Shakira is very good. So is the one cowritten with Finneas. But for now will suggest the party anthem one

Can't help but think they are trying to match Bad Bunny in some of the song and the cover too. But nothing wrong with aiming high...
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I like! It's hard for me to get the full happy mellow vibe from this song when the person in the room directly above me is blasting Lizzo's Boys with heavy bass, but I'm making it work regardless.

Report from the frontlines of the experiment:
The child raised on classical presently listens to classical and horrible emo pop; also likes ABBA and Queen.
The child raised on blues and funk presently listens to Lady Gaga and 1980/90s Japanese pop; also likes AC/DC.
The child raised on jazz listens to Lizzo, SZA, and Beyoncé; also likes Metallica.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ooo, this was actually released yesterday and I didn't know about it until this morning! Phone, don't you even know me anymore? Of course I want to see this. Novel design argument: the universe, that it is. Okay, his smart friend won't care about this one either. It's still very pleasing song though!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

De La Soul is finally on streaming, 3/3/23 is the magic number

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Karol G is the first woman to have an album go to #1 of all spanish-language songs!

And after a 16-year pause, Shakira notches her second top 10 hit in a month!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Been listening to the YouTube music US Top 100 list,
https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list ... ture=share

and although most at the top are also high on the Hot 100, it also seems to hype particular genres more than Billboard. There's a ton of tejano music, which feels out of time, but I guess it does gangbusters on the tube. I may start getting into this genre, it gives me the accordion w/ accordion fix I never knew I needed. This one is great...

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This morning my youngest woke a half hour earlier than usual and so I was playing catch up mentally as he went through the usual morning routines, culminating with him SINGING and I mean full SINGING the following song to me in the car on the way to school. I do not know what to make of this, frankly, as a product of parenting choices. Part of it is good, but not all? He sang it pretty well, I have to say - if I were the kind of parent to exploit my kid on instagram or whatever, it would have been epic. So at least I'm doing one mom thing right by keeping this natural talent hidden.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

That King Bey Energy
Mando

Post by Mando »

no dance video for this yet???

Kinda sounds like K-Pop-country...

Instead of FlaGa Line would it be called DMZ, or NK/SK Line?

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Mando

Post by Mando »

On that same thought...this could be easily converted into some sort of country music. My kid hates it when i sing the chorus in a country twang...sounds perfect to me :mrgreen:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I like the lone ranger one better but they do both sound pretty close to country? Florida Georgia line always struck me as a line that doesn't matter much except perhaps for football rivalry? Like are they really so different? I don't know.

In other developments, the child was being taught how to use some sort of staff in his martial arts class and he emerged joyously proclaiming that he did it just like Beyoncé. Like when Beyoncé in the lemonade videos smashes all kinds of stuff, and knocks the tops off fire hydrants with a baseball bat? That was his model for martial arts stick swinging. I find this so amusing I don't even have words. And it's not just him, he's getting this from his whole pack of friends. New model for boys seeking dominance skills: Beyonce. Now they're playing video games and yelling at each other.

Whoops, almost forgot to post my earworm! It sounds so new in 2023, still:
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Whew! I've had a disturbing experience trying to replay one of the items linked above! It turned out to be faked! Some horrid someone had copied a Moneybagg yo verse into some other track, stolen! No wonder it was so good. Then they had to take it out.

So to heal myself I'm now back to listening to this favorite. One of the few people who can actually follow moneybagg yo with a verse and sound good Is his friend here Mr Big homie g. He's amazing, I love him too. It's a little bit difficult to tell which one is better but I think in the end it's MBY. Everything they say is just hilarious to me and awesome, which is absurd. It's ridiculous. It makes no sense: it's like I live on another planet and have flown my ship in here to listen to this - I have no idea what they're talking about except it's the total opposite of my normal day-to-day life. The whole thing is like fanned-out cash and women's butts and cars! All my money is listed on a spreadsheet and I drive a super grandma car and the only woman's butt I'm particularly interested in is my own. I was going to say we don't have almost anything in common except that's not true - I think he has a restaurant or something? I've heard him discussing food and I'm pretty sure we have the same feelings about food. Do we have anything else in common whatsoever? Maybe not!

Yet who can deny that this man flows like the eruption of Mauna Loa?! And his friend is like that little volcano down there to the southeast. And MBY is absolutely correct that listening to said flow prepares a person to either kill or make money. If you listen to this before work you go in ready to fight and win! I'm making the money! I'm going to start listening to it while I trade stocks. As the kids say it gives me life. I am living. The sound of his voice is like honey! It's like ASMR.

Mando

Post by Mando »

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:02 pm I like the lone ranger one better but they do both sound pretty close to country? Florida Georgia line always struck me as a line that doesn't matter much except perhaps for football rivalry? Like are they really so different? I don't know.
It's a geographic area kind of its own brand of redneck life...sans hills with an extra side of alligator
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

My #2 song of last year has a video, and the screenshot spoils who his true love, his "sweet eyes", ends up being....

Did he take his dates to watch "Stagecoach"? How romantic! Bad Bunny goes off on how John Ford is the true cinematic master.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Dogs in both threads! Makes total sense. That's a really attractive dog.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I thought this sweet Afrobeat tune was in last year's Hot 100 or I already sang it's praises but seems not. Now it hit the top 10 and I'm very happy.

Mando

Post by Mando »

Went and saw NCT DREAM perform last night at the State Farm Arena in Atlanta. I was stupendous!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

That is exciting! I would like to see Mamamoo on their tour but alas, it is not to be. One of my friends from work is really into this NCT group - I should ask if they're going to see one of the shows.

Somehow I have stumbled upon this man - from Quebec, like Celine Dion! Never heard of him before! He and Celine sing various songs together. Here they are singing stand by me starting around 2 minutes in:

That was already great but he has much more up his sleeve! Solo he is like a peppy, punchy version of James Ingram. I love his whole ethos, his voice, energy, all of it!

Mando

Post by Mando »

Phoebe wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:22 am That is exciting! I would like to see Mamamoo on their tour but alas, it is not to be. One of my friends from work is really into this NCT group - I should ask if they're going to see one of the shows.
There are 3 NCT sub-units...NCT Dream, NCT 127 and NCT U as well as WayV(Chinese group) and NCT DoJaeJung
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCT_(group)
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I went far enough down the BTS rabbithole to have incredibly extensive knowledge of all 7, but three sub-units of NCT is too many for me! I'm also so annoyed by the intrusions of irritating humans, in everything from the school drop-off and pick-up line to the most elemental work tasks that should not be disrupted for stupid reasons, I have had to seek solace in a simpler, more soothing place lately!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Told Google's Bard my music theory: That many music lists ignore songs before 1955 not because music suddenly became great but simply Boomers were at the age where kids tend to fall in love with modern music.

It kinda agreed but then hedged. I think I'm onto something though, but also I keep viewing it as a net negative, future generations can like older music, why didn't the Boomers? There were some obvious positives that the biggest generation in world history got into music at a point where racial barriers were breaking down, where LPs made home listening easier, FM radio gave better sound, and the post-war boom gave boomer kids the ability to buy music and buy musical instruments. These are all great advances for all music, it just happened to happen around the time white teens started hearing Rock and Roll that had been brewing close to ten years by then.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Your theory seems reasonable to me. Today is anniversary of Prince's death and I am verklempt after listening to this - Rosie Gaines! Not trying to take anything away from Sinead O'Connor's effort to cover this song, but this is really something.

Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Well, I'm really into stuff from 1726 so what do I know?

Actually, I'm not. Give me the 1900s on! Some 1880s is okay.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Yeah was there any huge year for music pre 1900?

Grupo Frontera is aiming for yet another Top 20 hit but still has no wikipedia page

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Love that lead singers voice, silky!
Today is the day of Haegeum. It's so pleasing. The fiddle. Obviously I have feelings about that. There's a lot going on here and all of it is good:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

OBSESSED with thissssssssssssssss!!!!!!!

I need to get a good English translation of the lyrics because I have no idea what's going on. I got some things about wanting to party and wanting to move, those seem to be repeated, and maybe drinking and partying, and there's an assassin in the house or maybe there's an assassin in the fresh sounds maybe the fresh sounds are an assassin or maybe it has nothing to do with that.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

The chorus
Today we drink, today we smoke, today we party
Today we drink, today we smoke, today we party
And drink, and drink, and drink, and drink
And party, and party, and fuck, and fuck
And turn up, and turn up, and turn up, and turn up
And drink, and drink, and drink
This is a song I have played multiple times in front of my young kids and they like it, but I'd never do that if it was in a language they understood. Nor would I probably like it so much, as the "today we smoke" line would turn me off.

https://genius.com/Genius-english-trans ... ion-lyrics
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Haha yes, I have to be careful because my kid is a Spanish speaker, but I don't know whether he knows such words. Guessing yes based on the fact of knowing slang words for "butt".

This video definitely, as the kids say, hits different in light of the conviction news. I think it's from a movie I haven't seen but have a vague awareness that it's about presidents and corruption and whatnot. I'm never sure what to think about such things. Sounds like the guy with all the money is the real offender and then the question is what other people did to facilitate his access?

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Trivia guy here: the film was Bulworth -- never saw it but always loved this song.

That brief moment in history where it looked like Pras was going to keep up with his Fugees bandmates Wyclef Jean and Lauryn Hill.

Oh wait, oh my! This is what you're talking about?
Prakazrel “Pras” Michel was accused of funneling money from a now-fugitive Malaysian financer through straw donors to Barack Obama’s 2012 reelection campaign, then trying to squelch a Justice Department investigation and influence an extradition case on behalf of China under the Trump administration.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Yes!! It's wild! I've seen some interviews with him where it's a fine line between "he gets all kinds of things the rest of us mortals don't," and "what the heck?" Honestly don't know which way to go with it. Do I believe he could be taking the fall for someone else's criminal behavior? Yep. Do I believe he could have orchestrated these situations in order to profit personally and therefore was engaging in the criminal behavior himself? Yep. It's so far beyond my understanding I have no idea.

Anyway, my kid is listening to this and I have no room for any other entries in the mind. This poor child raised exclusively on jazz as an infant then somehow decided he loved Kesha and Belinda Carlisle. From there we've traveled on a long winding road that recently arrived at Sza-Lizzo-Beyonce elevated to a pantheon. And now it's opera. Listening to opera all the time. And not just any opera, but super high sopranos. I........... Why.

Makes me think of that horrid legislator in Montana who admitted publicly that she would rather let her kid die than be trans. Go ahead and turn in your mom card and never try to touch it again.*
In the clearer light of morning let me clarify that this means the queen of the night. The Montana legislator reminds me of the queen of the night disowning her child! Since I was discussing my own child above I thought maybe this should be clarified for those not familiar with the opera!
But I doubt she would be such a good singer. This is a really good version.
Last edited by Phoebe on Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I'm no Eliahad or DM Dracs but this is my favorite opera, probably such a commoner opinion right, and only a desperatly depressed Papageno scene has kept me from showing this to the kids because otherwise it's so accessible
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

All my favs are collaborating! I shared Yahritza's song Soy El Unico last year, and here she shines again. What a distinct and emotive voice! I think a good remix could make this a dance anthem. She's just 16, excited to see where her career takes her...

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I heard this in the car today, and it was unmistakable who the producer was. Timmy's Mouth Noises are back on the radio! Also a bit excited that Missy gets an official songwriting credit, she's having a good week!! First woman rapper in the Rock Hall and first black woman inducted in her first year eligible (only two other women total in career year 25: Madonna and Janis Joplin). So excited for her to be groundbreaking yet again.