This Happened

Akiva

Re: This Happened

Post by Akiva »

It's been in the mid-90s here for several days. And a lot of my students are wearing hoodies and/or jackets. I don't get it.
Reel on a repeating loop
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Lockdown drill today.

If there's ever an actual problem here, the trailers (like the one I'm in) are incredibly vulnerable.
Reel on a repeating loop
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

The wife of a good friend of mine from grad school died.
Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

So sorry to hear that.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

School’s out! School’s out!
Teacher let the monkeys out
One was jailed
One prevailed
Both asked God
“How have I failed?”
Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Came home and my daughter hugged me she was so excited for summer vacation
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Wait. Is school just getting out for y'all?
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Kyle wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:45 pm Wait. Is school just getting out for y'all?
Yes.
Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Summer vacation in NYS is usually a few days after solstice to a few days after Labor Day. I prefer it that way over returning to school mid-Aug.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Teachers go back Aug 22.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

They don't believe in school or sanity here, so we have a long break and go back for at least three weeks of peak heat levels in poorly ventilated buildings. It's one more price of being ruled by the stupid.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah, when I was a kid in New York, summer was approximately Memorial Day to Labor Day. Now in my area of Nebraska, everything is plotted from Winter Break. We're contracted for 180 school days per school year, so put all the days off on the calendar you know you will need off. Then, start at Winter Break and count 90 school days backwards and 90 school days forward. Add in 5 more days for snow days/emergencies. Done. That way, the holiday break also marks the divide between semesters. Of course it also means we start school in the second week of August, but such is the price we pay. At least our school has great heating and AC. Not all schools do.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Overcrowded schools with bad AC, not good. My high school did not use to have AC at all but I think they do now. I remember when we were young, picture day would happen not long after the school year began, and was always in September, and we would be dressed for the photo in things like a collared shirt beneath a wool sweater and this was totally normal for Sept weather, which was cool and sometimes brisk, especially in the morning. Then occasionally a warm afternoon would bust out and you'd be walking home with the sweater tied around your waist, but it was wonderful.
At this time of year in late June it would be starting to get hot, but the kind of hot good for taking long bike rides and wearing sleeveless tops, as opposed to dying of heatstroke. July and August were always hot, so that doesn't feel different, but the lead up and falloff now feels very different.

The other big difference is nighttime temps in summer. My family rarely if ever put on AC at night - the whole idea was to wait until the optimal moment for evening breeze and cooldown and then throw all the windows in the house open for evening. Only a few times a year did we have those horrid sweaty nights where it stayed hot until like 4 in the morning. This is partly why thunderstorms at night were scary, because it usually came with very loud sound and light in the window right next to your face, followed by being urged out of bed to close all the storm windows against the rain.
Now there is no way we could do this - the struggle of the AC to catch up again and deal with all the humidity let in would seldom if ever be worth it. Conclusion: more reasons I need to move to a colder place.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Lousy mixture of emotions.

Saw a great concert last night.

My wife’s father died this morning.
Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

I'm so sorry! Please convey my sympathies to Mrs. Akiva and her family.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Thanks.
Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

A friend/coworker lost her 19 year old son in a car accident over the weekend.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh, terrible things happening to people. How sad!
Mando

Post by Mando »

Well it was our anniversary...32 years!

then we got a phone call that my wife lost her job ...an hour later we got a call that Zoey our German Shepherd had died...emotional day especially for my wife. Zoey was her dog.

...and we found a snake in the chickens again...at least it wasnt chickens in the snake.
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

Well... Shit...
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

That sucks. Not the anniversary, but all the rest of the shit. Sorry.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Damn. That is rough.
Reel on a repeating loop
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Sorry. That's just awful.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Oh, how terrible! All at once. I'm sorry for both you and your wife having to go through this.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

My son leaves Thursday morning for a trip to France. So of course, on Saturday, he fractures a bone in his hand while playing miniature golf, of all things. There was a Green Bay Packers-themed hole, with a thing where you could see how high you could jump to see if you could do a Lambeau leap. He gives it a try, and as he swings his arm to jump, he smacks it into a metal sign. Despite nearly passing out, he was able to reach the 9 foot mark. But after getting home, the hand was swollen and he couldn't bend his index finger very far, so a trip to urgent care was undertaken. An X-ray later, and he now has a brace and a wrap from his fingers to just short of his elbow. It needs to be wrapped until the swelling goes down a bit, then they'll put a cast on. Don't know if the cast will come before he leaves for France, or if they'll have to wait until after he gets back. Oh well.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

There has been so much bad news in this thread, I feel bad for dragging it down even lower but here we go:
My whole life I have despised Birkenstocks and thought they were the ugliest of the shoes, and I've even tried them on and owned bootleg types but never had the love for them. I was really sure I would never tolerate dating a person who wore Birkenstocks and at the ultimate far end of the impossibility scale would be the idea of mating with a human who were Birkenstocks while also wearing socks. Kids should be cautioned about any notions like these they develop at a young age because you will then experience exactly what you said you never would.
In the same vein, I went to a store where they had some Birkenstocks on clearance sale, and since I'm cheap like ramen that was the only way it was going to happen.
This particular set of Birkenstocks was lined with a fuzzy wool or shearling or whatever it is - the point is that it makes a soft cradle and wicks moisture away from your feet while also making them warm and comfortable.
I had to sit down and question who I was and what I've even been doing for my whole life, and then I went and bought another pair of clearance sale Birkenstocks of a different color and style so that now I can wear them in any circumstances with any outfit. Including evening gowns hopefully. Not really - I haven't had a solution to that one yet. If you know of a extremely comfortable shoe a person can wear with a damn evening gown let me know.
Point is that I don't really know why I appreciate the things I appreciate or act the way that I do or have any of the beliefs that I have. Everything is in question now. I don't know who I am or what I'm supposed to be doing next. I've done so many things and so many words were part of the things and now I've got these Birkenstocks and I think maybe I should just go into a period of silence for about 5 years. I'm worried that some of you may have been praying for this very thing. But for real who am I even?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Tl;dr moral of the story:
When people are trying to do nice things for you at their own expense, don't criticize them for not doing it well enough.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

There seems to be a dead animal somewhere in our minivan, but nowhere we can visually see. The internet very helpfully told me the answer is to tear apart the car piece by piece at home until we find the poor bugga. Then someone wrote that it could catch fire and burn down my car, sooo I guess I'm taking this to the mechanic, ugh.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Agh that sounds terrible! The smell! Unpleasant.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Mechanic says they can fit us in in a week, so I guess not as urgent, it's slowly getting better, may not be a smell issue by then but who knows
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Argh shots never hurt but I got my #4 covid booster and she stuck a nerve or something and it was awful. Also the blood came out too much. Aagh.

Anyway, reason I mention is not just to cry to you but also because doctor switched recommendations and said to get this now - she was suggesting August due to kids back in school and the predicted spike thereafter, but now variants are booming and they will likely have a fifth booster for us and you may need a gap between four and five? So she's like, everyone hurry and get #4 if you can, or #3 for others. Husband doctor said same thing.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Ya. If they can confirm I can also get one on October, I'd get one soon, but if they keep doing this under 50 has to wait six plus months, maybe I'll wait. Wife still recovering with brain fog at Day 17
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Ahhh poor wife, that sucks! Very unfortunate.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I have never had such a bad shot. Somehow there was bad luck and she jabbed it into this terrible place where one thing was connecting to another in the shoulder and it just hurts so bad and has ever since she stuck the needle in. Waaaaaah! I have been injured. I can't call anyone because then the crazy anti-vaxxers will use my injury as a proof that they put a microchip in me. Maybe that's what happened. You know Occam's razor says that is the most sensible explanation for why three shots were painless and delightful and this third one feels like she stamped me with an anvil.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Just saw Jawbox with a friend for more than 40 years. Great time.

And now I feel empty and despondent on the way home. Fucking great.
Reel on a repeating loop
Mando

Post by Mando »

poorpete wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:00 pm Ya. If they can confirm I can also get one on October, I'd get one soon, but if they keep doing this under 50 has to wait six plus months, maybe I'll wait. Wife still recovering with brain fog at Day 17
it takes about 2 weeks for a dead animal to stop stinking. Had (I suspect) a dead mouse in a wall.
"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I live in a densely packed suburb. So this is weird.

Just a few hours ago my daughters saw a possum in a tree in our backyard. I need to try to get it to move, so I'm going to take the dogs into the yard on leashes (it's low enough that the dogs might be able to get to it). Wish me luck.
Reel on a repeating loop
Mike

Post by Mike »

We've had possums in our garage a couple times, and I've seen them wandering the neighborhood on the times I've been out walking at 4am. I love possums as a concept, but they are freaky in person. Good luck driving them off.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

Luckily it left on its own.
Reel on a repeating loop
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

We have possums all over the place where we live (and armadillos) because we're so close to the lake. Fortunately we've never had one in the house. But I have accidentally ran over a couple when they are crossing in front of the car, and you're waiting FOREVER for them to cross, then you're sure they have so you creep forward and then the driver's front wheel raises up ever so slightly as you go forward.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

OMG noooo!
We have many possums here and they do not want to come into your home, unlike raccoons which want to eat straight through your precious expensive structures to make a nest and pee and such.
The possum will eat all your unpleasant vermin and they're harmless. Not a good cuddler but you know, don't cuddle it!
Beneficial, I vote it should stay!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I agree with Phoebes.
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

My main problem with the possum is that I didn't want it to end up dead after one of the dogs tried to play with it.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I must say that this very thing has happened here but it was less playful and more vicious killing.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I love having possums in the neighborhood but I'm definitely giving them a wide berth and dread finding them in my garage or my garbage.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Akiva wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:23 am My main problem with the possum is that I didn't want it to end up dead after one of the dogs tried to play with it.
Legit.
Mike

Post by Mike »

My in-laws place caught fire in the middle of the night. Started in their camper, and spread to their car and attached garage by the time firefighters arrived. Camper, car, and garage are a total loss, but firefighters kept the house safe amazingly.

Nobody hurt. Good insurance. Giant mess.
Tahlvin

Post by Tahlvin »

Glad nobody’s hurt.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Friggin vultures.

My father in law went into town to talk to a friend and explain why he had to cancel their plans. He was gone for less than an hour. Gets back to the house, and there's some stranger with his kids picking through the burned out camper and garage. He ran them off, but this was just a few hours after the firefighters left. Since then they've had at least a dozen cars that have driven up their driveway (driveway's a quarter mile long) and get almost to the top and then turn around when they see someone's home. This morning they were awakened before dawn by the dog barking at some of these people.

I'm sure some are just gawkers, but there's also just straight up thieves coming up all the time. My in-laws chose to have one of their kids drop off a camper for them to sleep in, just so the property wouldn't be unprotected, but imagine if they had taken the insurance company up on their offer of lodging. Yeah, they lost the garage and the camper and the car, and they can't stay in the house right now, but the house and the shop and the barn are all still pretty much intact with their whole lives in there.

Friggin vultures.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

WTF??? People are terrible.

I'm feeling very negative about trust levels with people right now anyway but my goodness this is just crazy! You would think that if they knew there was a fire their first thought might be to help out the people who just suffered a goddamn fire??!