The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

poorpete

Re: The Silence Between: Music Recommendations

Post by poorpete »

Watching the NBA finals on mute and an ad for apple air pods come on and I could tell from lip reading "ba bababa" they were singing along to Music for a Sushi Restaurant by Harry Styles. I went clueless to hip in four weeks

Most 80s song since Uptown Funk?

Oh wait Blinding Lights was also very 80s
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Going to give the Provenza switch-out to Em Beihold's Numb Little Bug, which is poppy fun, though I'm currently mixed on the lyrics -- I dunno if they help or hurt the cause, being so raw in her feelings but then so glossy in its output. Then again, some kids for who the lyrics might help may only consume glossy pop music. Also mixed on songs that are like "I take pills for my mood but it doesn't work" and for this it might be helpful and honest, but I dunno if it's helpful for those who the drugs do work for, or those who the drugs would be helpful for but this song makes it feel like they take your soul away. So... a very cautious thumbs up from me

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 8.41.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 8.41.12 AM.png (108.55 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

10th post in a row? Uh oh, I hope I didn't kill this thread. So, uh, how y'all musicing? How about that silence between?

Although the new chart won't be out until tomorrow, they trickle out some details the day before, including those in the top 10. Including exciting details of a song that returns to the top 40 for the first time in 36 years (reaching #8!), and one I will happily replace "Numb Little Bug" with and zoom to the top of my list...

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

11th post. My favs "Provenza" and "Ojitos Lindos" are back in the top 40, so they'll join Kate Bush in my top 5 for sure. That leaves two spots for either "N95" (#39 so might be it's last chance to be on this list), "About Damn Time" (up to #4 so it's not going anywhere), something by Harry Styles (either #1 "As It Was" or #9 "Late Night Talking"), or one of the other 33 songs. Right now think Harry might be the odd-man out, he's been on the list all five weeks so far, can take a week break.

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-b ... 235082217/
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

post 12.

So I have yet to put a country song in my top 5, so I figured I'd give quick country review revue.

#13 - Wasted On You (Morgan Wallen)
Good guitars, but feels a bit forgetable (which I get, I'm wrong, if the song has been on the chart for over six months, it must be the opposite of forgetable). On the other hand...

#21 - You Proof (Morgan Wallen)
Ugh. It's very good. He writes a good song, can sing a good song, and damn near raps at parts and he has ugh good flow. The musical bed is also solid. Now this should be the definition of guilty pleasure, because I feel very guilty for liking this.

#23 - Take My Name (Parmalee)
Cheesy and by-the-numbers made to be played your grandchildren's weddings.

#32 - Trouble With A Heartbreak (Jason Aldean)
Like the distant drums, a slapping heart. Also a bit by-the-numbers but actually satisfying.

#31 - AA (Walker Hayes)
Ugh. If there was a country song bingo, this would be a full card. Mentions include: tractors, trucks, football, chuch, alcohol, cigarettes, and daughters on stripper polls.

#38 - 'Til You Can't (Cody Johnson)
Good message in this song, but sometimes his voice bugs me -- like he's putting on a country-voice at times, and the (in my perception) fakery messes with the song's pathos.

#40 Something In The Orange (Zach Bryan)
This is very good! So moody! Feels different, outside of all the rest of these country songs, maybe more associated with the folk singer-songwriter movement than the mainstream pop country. It's also unlike anything else on the Top 40, which might be why I like it the best.

You know what, I'm going to sub Lizzo this week for this. She'll be back, probably next week, she'll be fine.

I hear there's a new BTS song out today...
Eliahad

Post by Eliahad »

It's actually hard to listen to music when your job is to make the music. And now Pete can start his count over.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Oh wow, Kate Bush up to #4 this week

Update: Actually all except my Kendrick pick moved UP in their polling!

Provenza is up! 34 to 29
Ojitos Lindos is up! 36 to 35
Something in the Orange is up! 40 to 37
and Running up that hill went 8 to 4.

Good job, America!

Kendrick dropped from 39 to 59, so I got a new opening. May refill that with Lizzo or Harry Styles but will make that decision closer to Friday.
Last edited by poorpete on Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

2. Deleted a post yesterday here briefly sharing Lizzo's latest Beastie-sampling bop, a companion piece to my favorite song of hers, "Boys" -- and my first review was ~not yet used to the Lizzo-isms ~ sometimes I like them right away, sometimes it takes me a bunch of listens, sometimes I never get used to them, so not sure how it will go.

Anyways, the song I didn't realize got some pushback for the use of "spaz" which was common in my 90s youth, but is going the way of the similarly once-ubiquitous now-obviously-wrong R word (good), and is actually a bit more offensive in other countries where it's very much associated with cerebral palsy. So I deleted the post not to promote it, but Lizzo is back, apologetic, and with an updated version without the slur.

https://ew.com/music/lizzo-releases-new ... 0001a67255
I've had many hurtful words used against me so I overstand the power words can have
Refreshing... "overstand" is new to me

On a few more listens, the Lizzo-isms are hooking me a little more, but thinking back to it's companion 'Boys', and what I loved about it -- sure a lot was her lyrics, but it was also supremely funky! I think I'll always prefer the funk stuff over pure pop stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQliEKPg1Qk
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I haven't heard this one yet and must wait until I'm not in an office, but looking forward to! The new BTS song did not impress me - it seems obvious after they did their bursts of live performance recently, they're ready to go in different directions. I assume it's also really hard to live the idol life at this mid-late 20s age when they have to be hiding so many things and the consequences can be so serious. Some of them seem tired and they have to do their military service.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

BTS' hiatus/time-out sounds much-needed, and good they decided to do it while they are all still nice and supportive and talking to each other. How many years do you think they'll take. I don't know them or the future but I'm going to guess: 4.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I think they will cycle through solo and other collaborative projects while taking turns doing their military service. Fan support for those solo projects will still be huge, which is why some of us will be buying hybe stock on the dip, and anything they do as ot7 from here on out will be especially epic. I'm thinking they might make some better choices about songs and projects if they have that time - it seems like they're trying to appeal to bland pop sensibilities in order to have the widest possible reach in the US and other markets, but that's not what made them great. Releasing this album with mostly old songs seems like an acknowledgment that most of their best work is behind them even though the whole point is supposed to be that the best is yet to come, so that's odd. It feels like a capstone rather than a way of introducing new fans to the best of the old stuff plus some great new things. The greatest new song on there is Jin's reworking of epiphany, but Epiphany was better the way it was.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Drake has given us a new album and it may not be for everyone but I love it love it love it love it. I fell asleep listening such that it permeated my unconscious mind and then I relistened and relistened.

It sounds like he was ensconced in his studio all winter, decided Passionfruit was his best sound, and then made a while album of it with a few spicier offerings for variety. It's like he decided to make an album custom written for me. Thanks, guy! I can't even pick a favorite track. Let's see what the singles might be. I love it all.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Woah. Will listen today but what stands out immediately is that only five of the fourteen tracks are explicit. I have been mixed on Drake, appreciate he makes good stuff but mostly left me cold and dogged by rumors that he has ghostwriters (which, at this point in pop music, may be moot, wouldn't be surprised if most non-Kendrick rappers have people writing lines for them) maybe this one will make me a convert.

Update: The squeaky bed one made me laugh.

Update: Massive is the only one so far where I went to check the name, love the house sound!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Looks like house music is back this week!

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Good song (after two listens), fantastic video
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Though will say, as above, I feel unlucky that there's always some line or two or twenty that I don't like in most rap lyrics. I want a popular rap song to actually have no cringey or objectionable lines! I think it can be done!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

poorpete wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:02 am Looks like house music is back this week!

Apparently we are having a 90s mini revival. I am for it! Why are half the comments on Bs song about how it's the best possible house *cleaning* music as well? Do people need to reassure themselves that much while cleaning? I have questions.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I have to assume the reason for this is that he's just that good a rapper? I don't know what it is about the voice or the delivery, but I cannot get enough songs from this Mr. Moneybagg Yo - I don't know whether it's more absurd that I am a huge fan of somebody who goes by the name money bag yo or that he has old ladies in his fanclub. I don't know. The fact is, he's great. This truck is interesting as I'm not usually a fan of Kodak Black's mumbly style but in contrast with the other guy it works and you can get more of an appreciation for his cadence - you would think that being showcased next to Mr. Yo would make him look worse but Mr. Yo's skills are such that he elevates everything else on the track. Track starts with Kodak Black and then shifts to the other guy, who is the big guy.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Nice to have a back-and-forth rap duet.

The Top 40 knocked out my fav Bad Bunny track as well as the Zack Bryan track, so added the Pharrell track to my top 5. Also, figure I should give Harry some love after a three weeks off, putting his "Late Night Talking" on it for now. Like its 70s/80s Paul Simon / Paul McCartney feel, and its innocent lyrics. I mean the song is SO innocent and uncool that it doesn't even go with Late Night Talkin' -- it goes the full "Talking" -- he pronounces that G because he's really just here to listen, to be there with you, for you.

1 Kate Bush Running Up That Hill
2 Karol G Provenza
3 Pharrell Williams Cash in Cash Out (feat. 21 Savage, Tyler the Creator)
4 Harry Styles Late Night Talking
5 Lizzo About Damn Time
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I keep hearing this song on the radio and it is undeniably catchy. I was not a fan of this guy before but I get it, having watched the video. He's a lovable sort of weirdo and apparently is doing his best to promote colorful geometric pantsuits. I can't fault this. His music definitely the type of emo music one of my kids likes - is this emo music? It seems very emo. Not normally my thing but very catchy and the guy seems pleasantly original and joyful - can't help but like it. Big Aquarius energy here as the people keep saying - same as J-hope. Okay lol he is born Feb. 1, turns out astrology has something going for it or else, obviously, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

[youtube][/youtube]
Akiva

Post by Akiva »

I really hope they play this one tonight.

[media] [/media]
Reel on a repeating loop
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Amused the biggest Drake songs played from his album are the rapping and swearing ones. But wonder if that'll change when more people align to this new era.

Or not
Mike

Post by Mike »

It might, as long as Drake can keep finding ways to bring in that younger teen audience.
Any time the solution is "banjo rifle", I'm in 100%.
Mando

Post by Mando »

what? where's the K-Pop? No matter, I brought some.
My daughters went to see Monsta-X a few weeks back and now they are gearing up for a ATEEZ concert.
We have been on vacation last week and in the evenings we watched a K-Pop competition called Kingdom or Road to the Kingdom, but all the bands are well know so its not an American Idol or AGT thing.

and from the competition:

SF9 - Performing a cover of "MOVE":

ATEEZ performing a cover of "Ode to Joy":

"Yay! I'm for the other team."
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

We will have Kpop coming in a few more days in the form of J hope solo album and I am sooooo excited!!! More excited about this than about a (truly) new BTS album - just wasn't excited about the new songs on proof. I liked the Psy/Suga collab song better, did I post that here? You may like it!

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I don't even know who I am or where we are or what's happening. Somehow this was both unexpected but totally expected! He just marches to his own beat. I cannot even imagine what the other songs on this new album are going to be like and I must have it now but only this one is out:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Cardi also has new song but the JHope release has taken all the oxygen. Who knew that he wanted to... To ROCK? Who knew he was going to be like crazed-joker type jack-in-the-box?
This man has been furiously choreographing pop dances and rapping pithy little accents in pop songs and they finally let him out to do his own full album and this is what it is! I was expecting some mix of hip-hop, house beats, and pop art, and instead we are going to get JHope Chemlab or something! I will not rest until I get my ears on the whole new album. I may have to go to Lollapalooza just for this. I found him such a compelling person this whole time, and all of a sudden it's like, no, it's a hundred times more than you even knew!
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Weeeelll, at this point I am incapable of listening to anything that is not j-hope's new song and I don't know how I'm going to make it until there's a new album, a few days and a week from now.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

You got this.

SO there's a goofy little song called "Sunroof" that hit the top 40 last week and I've heard it on the radio too, I'm just warning you, it's fine as a song but as an earworm it's downright evil. Not going to share it hear because 1- I don't want to contribute to it, but 2 - you'll probably hear it 100 times this summer anyways. Could be wrong, maybe it'll fall to nothing and then I'll claim it's a hidden gem. Again, it's fine, it's good, it's twee, and a bit sweet -- and it might take over the world.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Big Mama Thornton love on the charts! And Doja Cat is becoming undeniable. She's not my favorite, but she keeps making hit after hit, she can't stop. It's inevitable she will make one hit that I'd be all-in on. This gets close...

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I can see why you like this because of the throwback to one of your favorites and the overall ambience. However, if you'd like the counterpoint to cure you of excess appreciation for Doja Cat, listen to that wretched song she just did with Dollar Tree Tattooed Tiny Tim and you'll be ok again. Or remember her success continues to line Dr. Luke's pockets and she has no problem whatsoever partnering with him - which is maybe also why a lot of her songs read like "for white people" to me. When she makes videos of the songs for white people she wears light makeup and when she makes a song like this one, suddenly her skin is completely darker. That's fine, she is entitled to do whatever she wants and live out every part of her ethnic and racial identity in the way she sees fit. However, something is so very, very weird about her e-girl past with all those nazis. I find it very sad.

Most importantly, I will never forgive her for winning - with a song written and produced by Dr. Luke - the grammy for which BTS was nominated, and then showing up babbling about having run over from the toilet while publicly adjusting her crotch elastic. Grotesque. I find her very ... low. For me the best of her songs is "Woman" because I love not only its beat but she destroys all the verses, one must admit regardless of whether you like her voice. She nails it, it's wonderful! The problem is I cannot stand the croaking frog aspect of her voice - the sound of her rapping voice is like dragging a crusty fake fingernail across your eardrum. Search your feelings and you know it to be true. I will not leave you with this ranting about poor Doja Cat, instead I will give you a really good substitute we all enjoy:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

I admit, there's a song where she uses a certain slang word and I at first taken aback forgot she's allowed.

Even though I know great country music by women is being created and appreciated, it's still all men on the Hot 100 Top 40. Boooo

Monthly Country Music Check-in.

#13 - Luke Combs - The Kind of Love We Make - Bedroom music for white people I guess. It's fine

#14 - Morgan Wallen - Wasted On You - it still good but back to regularly skipping the Walllen tracks

#31 - Kane Brown - Like I Love Country Music - this is lots of fun, and a throw-back. It's also quite a bit Rock and Roll for an ode to Country Music. There's a fiddle solo! A steel guitar solo! A piano solo! A shredding electric guitar solo! And sounds like a harmonica solo in there too.

#35 - Parmalee - Take My Name - imo, still feels artificial

#36 - Worgan Wallen - You Proof - back to skipping it but the best of the Wallen here

#38 - Cole Swindell - She Had Me At Heads California - we don't get any women on this list, but at least this is a song about how great a woman sings. People who like this, great, it's good, but why not also listen to the women sing too?

#39 - Zach Bryan - Something In The Orange - still great! Happy that it's back on the Top 40 so I can include it again on my list.

also of note is #60 - Taylor Swift - Carolina - an old-timey folk ballad that again shows her continuing versatility -- remember she's one of the most popular pop artists of the last 20 years -- and ace songwriting chops. It may not reach the top 40 but who cares she's in her imperial phase and I love it.

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

This is what I want from pop artists. Not afraid to take their music in different directions. Not afraid to follow their whims. Trust their audience is equally adventurous.

I want pop artists to be like Taylor Swift. Or like Drake with his 90s House album. Some hit the mark some don't, that's expected. This creates a healthy music ecosystem.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Nice, I like it! And what good is it to be a superstar if you can't experiment and push the envelope just a little - it's not like these people are going full J-Hope on us!!!

I figured I would see what Azealia Banks has to say, given that she will not hold back, and I was not disappointed. Everybody is mad that she's calling doja cat fat blah blah blah, but as usual she puts her finger right on the truth in the process: unlike Doja Cat, artists like Tinashe were criticized for somehow misappropriating blackness even though she too is half African in ethnicity and has never changed her image over the years by purposely using heavy makeup to appear either white or black for her chosen audience. Maybe someday Doja Cat will also want to claim her Jewish identity. Or not. Oh well. Anyway, Tinashe is good:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Because I typed the above names into my phone, the phone is now keen to let me know that there is a dustup between Ms. Cat and a 17 year old boy who is an actor on stranger things and looks disturbingly similar to my child's "boyfriend". Like, could this be her boyfriend and they're just lying that he has some other name? Maybe. Apparently DC is very angry because this teenager made public that she was trying to get the contact info for one of his co-stars on the show for whom has the hots. She did not like that her efforts were made public, to which I say: anything you privately message to a 17-year-old should be considered public in the first place! What are you even doing trying to chit chat with a teenage boy like this?!
So just rack that up in the column of reasons I find her a pest.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Ah so this is why "he's 17" was trending on Twitter this morning.

That's one of them tending topics that I never click on, only bad can come of it
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Lizzo is #2 this week, will likely be #1 next week

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

One of the very many reasons BTS is so endearing is that they are all Lizzo fans!
But I'm not very happy with them as a business entity right now because they and their company went ahead and made a video game that is like the BTS version of gardenscapes. It's one of those games that has thousands of levels where you manipulate little flowers and jewels and tidbits of stuff and try to get them unstuck and exploded - it basically pushes and pulls all the levers of human psychology to addict you to this pointless, absurdly satisfying yet empty activity.
Why are they doing this to us? They're doing it to make money off of us and I won't pay for such a thing but lots of people will because apparently it's difficult to people? That puzzles me but apparently they may rig it or do something to make it difficult?
Maybe it's like a slot machine or maybe for some inexplicable reason people can't figure out how to solve these little puzzles. Either way it's terrible, a deliberate bilking of the vulnerable who became addicted to your game. The whole thing is extremely cute with little features about each of the guys, which makes it worse. Not only can they use the usual psychological tricks of the casino and the desire to interact with attractive shiny little bits of stuff, but they exploit your love for them too! Wrong.

All that matters is that in a few days we get a whole j-hope album.
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

58 hours to go.

New Top 40 out

Hot Shit by Cardi B has debuted, with a guest from Kanye -- I mean a guest from Kanye is probably as much as I can take from him at this point -- don't want to say shut up and dribble but he definitely has a clear talent and it's okay that I want to see that talent and less the everything else.

Sunroof keeps climbing, beware!

Damn Strait by Scott McCreery feels a bit by-the-numbers musically, but the lyrics are fun, a guy cursing George Strait for making him too emotional. It's a good pun.

There's a couple of women-led country songs below the top 40, I may have to start listening to them to make up for the bro blockade.

Master of Puppets by Metallica is the latest revival for Stranger Things. And listening to this twice today is two more than I've ever listened to it before. It's solid 80s metal, it good, but I doubt it'll go full-Kate Bush -- just because "Climbing Up That Hill" is so at home with modern pop sound. But, ya, good for them, and I'd be ok being wrong.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Well JHope decided he wanted to ROCK so you never know what might happen. These kids today might not know what Metallica is.

I like the Cardi B track especially when driving. Totally agree about a feature being the only thing I want from Kanye but to be honest I think she's doing him a huge favor by letting him drop in a verse on her song and show off his talent a little. It's like we get a distilled tidbit of what we liked about him without all the junk that is annoying us, so she's kind of giving us back a reason to like Kanye. He should pay her or something. But her part of the song is obviously the part - so many pleasing lines. My neighborhood has heard a lot of it and that's about all I can say. I still love her and I realize there's no spot for me in the gang, yes, but I probably wasn't good gang material anyway so that's okay. Still have the cold heart and necklace. 😂
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Listened to Lizzo's twice and JHope once. There's a lot to like about both but neither blew me away, at least not yet.

As expected Lizzo's songs are full of Lizzoisms, self-love, and self-esteem boosters. It has its goals and it does it good. But personally I dunno how many times I'll listen to "Birthday Girl" which seems to be made just to be played at birthday parties. The album even opens with "ya missed me?" which I've used as a punch line for unretirement songs rappers have done for decades. "I'm back- ya missed me?" just too easy. "2 Be Loved" is exciting and people online might be right that it might be the next big Lizzo hit. "Break Up Twice" was made for me to enjoy -- Marc Ronson produced with the retro soul sound that he and The Dap Kings (some of whom are on this track) does best, as well as referencing the greatest neo soul song, Doo Wop (That Thing). Makes me miss Sharon Jones.

But maybe my current fav is "Everybody's Gay" a dance jam that's half disco half Prince half Miami Sound Machine -- that's right it's 1.5 a song -- seems made for the club, gay and otherwise.

I don't think any of the JHope's rap rock songs do better than "More", so far I like the songs like "Future" and "=" which mix up the sound.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

As you may surmise I am completely beside myself and I have listened to the whole j-hope album a few times and I don't even know which one I like best because they're all so good. I feel bad I haven't even listened to the Lizzo album, but I expect it will rest with me for quite some time so...

Something about J Hope truly operates on my frequency and speaks my language. I don't know why and I don't know what it is - obviously there's such talent behind this - such care and thoughtfulness in the way all the little details of the music have been arranged and presented to us. I love the Pandora's box and Jack in the box themes, I love the art that's going with it and the tone and the lyrics - I love all the different kinds of sounds he gives us. In short, love everything about it!

I also glory in the fact that he digs back into old school stuff, and gives us an album about serious questions and issues. We're not going to be worried about anybody's butt or what happens on the stripper pole or who he plans to shoot with his Glock or whatever. Even when he deals with the question of money and fame and being on top, it's complicated and fraught and comes up in unexpected ways. Like he's clearly proud of all he has accomplished and trying to tell himself it's okay to be proud of all that, but he sees the darksides and the downsides and the difficulties in a way that few others probably can grasp, and somehow he can give us a window into this.

The equal sign song is one of my favorites as well - I love how it applies to so many different possible situations in relationships with other people. My kid reads it as a statement about LGBT pride, where maybe a couple believes in those ideals and yet finds it difficult to put them into practice for themselves, even though they are the ones being oppressed when people aren't treated equally here? And others read it as the effort at achieving some kind of gender equity in a relationship, which remains a powerful challenge due to the social pressures people are under - or in his case it might just be any relationship under the circumstances when it has to be so secretive and the consequences of any missteps are so harsh. How can he move forward and live a different kind of life?

I also get the definite feeling he's been stifled in the last few years of BTS and pandemic BTS... You get the sense they had different plans for themselves that were thwarted and had to be rearranged. He still seems completely close to them and isn't shutting any doors, but it also seems he was incredibly eager to break out and do his own thing for a while. One thing that has bothered me about the rise of BTS on Pop charts in the US is that their best songs are so creative and interesting and don't really fit into a particular genre, or if anything they're rap and hip hop, with some singing choruses. But mainstream success for BTS has come at the expense of that earlier genre breaking creativity, maybe. It doesn't seem like what Jhope most wants to do or where his head is at. Clearly he's the kind of hip Hop artist who wants to sample ODB and that's not the direction we see BTS moving. I do think they will make it individually as solo Stars - obviously J hope was smart to put this album out right away with the full force of the fan army buoying it to number one, but it seems like he sees a future well beyond this where he is more genre hip hop artist than mainstream pop star?
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I did this to myself: typed 'ODB' and now my brain is completely stuck on this:

Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

Obsessed:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Wu Tang are long on my list of artists In eventually want to deep dive on and then rue that I didn't deep dive sooner. So much music so little
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

This is the one Jhope samples on the new album:

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Newest Top 40 has two new additions, "Fall in Love" by Bailly Zimmerman which didn't hit me on first listen, and "I Ain't Worried" by OneRepublic which did because it heavily lifts (with credit) "Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John

poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Shock passing of Shonka Dukureh, who played Big Mama Thornton in the Elvis movie and channels Big Mama's voice in Doja Cat's Vegas...

My top five top forty as of Saturday
1 Karol G Provenza
2 Harry Styles As it Was
3 Lizzo About Damn Time
4 Bad Bunny Moscow Mule
5 Doja Cat Vegas
poorpete

Post by poorpete »

Renaissance is out. Listened to it at midnight -- how did I become this person -- and been relistening to it a bit since. No doubt it'll take another week for my true favs sprout, but til then a few thoughts: it's a bit overwhelming in a good way, a lot going on! If you're looking for a dance and sex jams, you got it here. Maybe the most sexy is "Plastic Off the Sofa" with wonderful bass playing throughout, funky and neo soul cool.

I was thinking about doing a track-by-track listing, but for most it'd be like

Sounds: great. Lyrics: often great. But there's one small thing I'm not sold on. We'll see if those small things I get over, learn to love, or spread to make me annoy the whole song.
Phoebe

Post by Phoebe »

I've heard most of it now and so far like this first single best? Maybe there are others that will grow on the ear but I'm not all that excited about the other tracks. It has a very "still sexy at 40" vibe to it which feels pretty meaningless from my perspective as a more fully evolved charizard. My phone also helpfully informs me that Kelis is mad at being sampled without named and I'm a long time team Kelis member, so...

I'm more excited about getting into this Lizzo album even though have only learned Special and About Damn Time so far - need to spend some more time listening to that one. I lost like 2 weeks to j-hope and drake, so finally making room for other things. My kids don't hate Jhope but they're tired of hearing it and they definitely hate Drake. Why? I think they decided he was a creepy guy and so they just don't like the music either? The whole thing is so '90s feeling and wonderful. I feel like he just took all the parts of his music I like best and made an album of them for me.

Anyway this one is great to play in the car, and if it were the only good product of the album I would say the whole thing was a success because of this: